It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dyslexia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 07:20 AM   #1
(female)

hsp1 HB User
Post Adult Dyslexia!

Hi everyone,

DO you have adult dyslexia?

I do. What do you do to cope with this?

Old 01-19-2007, 10:47 PM   #2
(female)

danibeth_2000 HB User
Re: Adult Dyslexia!

hey there,
your not alone out there, i'm not sure if mine is concidered adult dyslexia, but i grew up with it and am now an adult. i also have disgraphia. i cope by typeing everything out. also its best to know exactaly what you can and can't do. such as if you can't read fast, don't expect your self to, and so forth. it's so nice to see that i'm not alone out there too. sometimes it feels that way espicaly since i'm well into college. you often get stairs from people when your asked to read and you struggle over simple words. although every one is different. it would be nice to hear how some one else is dealing with it to. if you have any spicific questions feel free to ask. i love talking with others about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #3
(female)

hsp1 HB User

hi there friend!

I would love to talk more about this!

recently this has happened to me:

I have a number of disablitlies here is the list:

I have:

OCD
AvPD
Adult Dsyleixa

Anyway, I am mocked at for my adult dsylexia. People, think it is okay to make fun of someone who does not have top of the line sentances or spell great, this is very hurtful to me.

take care
God bless ya!

Old 04-13-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
(female)

hsp1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danibeth_2000 View Post
hey there,
it's so nice to see that i'm not alone out there too. sometimes it feels that way espicaly since i'm well into college. you often get stairs from people when your asked to read and you struggle over simple words. although every one is different. it would be nice to hear how some one else is dealing with it to. if you have any spicific questions feel free to ask. i love talking with others about it.

BTW sorry it took so long for me to get back with you and I TOTALLY know what you mean about reading things outloud!!!

Cant wait to hear from ya!

Old 04-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
(female)

danibeth_2000 HB User

Hey!
it's ok that ya took so long, aparently so did I but that peachy keen. i've noticed somthing about dyslexics is that a lot of them also seem to be some what OCD, i know i am. oh well. i know how ya feel when people mock. they can be soo mean some times. They act like just beaucse we can't spell complex words and have trouble reading that we are not on their level. but i think it is just beacuse they don't understand it, and the only way they cope is to make fun of it. most people think it's a retardation, really it just beause one section of your brain is just turned off, nothings wrong with it, the signals just get re-routed thus taking longer and tend to get a little confused along the way. it's acutaly a really neat thing to study as far as recent incouters i just got a project back from one of my classes yesterday and i would have gotten a 60 out of 60 if my spelling hadn't boched it up i ened up with a 53 beacuse i spelled dose and plan worng i kept spelling plain. oh well, the only thing i find really helpful in times like that is to concentrate on your strengths and ignore the weaknesses and realize that those who are mocking you are problay just ignorant about it, i bet you they would get really shocked if you explained it to them, and they might even stop buging you about it. i know my little brother did. sorry this is sooo long, but it's been a while sicne i have been able to talk with someone with the same problem. well take care.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
(female)

hsp1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danibeth_2000 View Post
Hey!
it's ok that ya took so long, aparently so did I but that peachy keen. i've noticed somthing about dyslexics is that a lot of them also seem to be some what OCD, i know i am. oh well. i know how ya feel when people mock. they can be soo mean some times. They act like just beaucse we can't spell complex words and have trouble reading that we are not on their level. but i think it is just beacuse they don't understand it, and the only way they cope is to make fun of it. most people think it's a retardation, really it just beause one section of your brain is just turned off, nothings wrong with it, the signals just get re-routed thus taking longer and tend to get a little confused along the way. it's acutaly a really neat thing to study as far as recent incouters i just got a project back from one of my classes yesterday and i would have gotten a 60 out of 60 if my spelling hadn't boched it up i ened up with a 53 beacuse i spelled dose and plan worng i kept spelling plain. oh well, the only thing i find really helpful in times like that is to concentrate on your strengths and ignore the weaknesses and realize that those who are mocking you are problay just ignorant about it, i bet you they would get really shocked if you explained it to them, and they might even stop buging you about it. i know my little brother did. sorry this is sooo long, but it's been a while sicne i have been able to talk with someone with the same problem. well take care.
Hi there friend!!!

I know what you mean. with work it can be hard as well. I have to read things sometimes outloud. And when i am writing emails and such sometimes a run into the other room and ask my roommate how to spell a word.... OR I go to MS word..but SOMETIMES that may not work, like here is a great example, Dining room OR DINNING room...dinning is a word according to MS word. ANYWAY, soon I will have to look for a nother job, and I am worried that my dyslexia will hinder that. I dunno about you but I have an AWFUL time with attention to detail. UNLESS it is something I ENJOY..but I HATE SITTING THERE reading things over and over.... AAAAAA...that is a pain

ANYWAY, I hope to hear from ya soon IT was great hearing from ya!!!

Closed Thread