It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dyslexia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User
SSRI induced dyslexia/short term memory loss?

I've been on Zoloft for close to two months now. Lately I've noticed that I am very dyslexic. I was never dyslexic before taking the meds, nor in my childhood (I am 24 now).

I keep switching numbers and dates. 2/30 becomes 3/20 for example, or #34 becomes #43. I've heard of SSRI induced dyslexia from a few people (esp with Paxil), but I've never read any medical report or noticed it reported anywhere as a side effect.

One thing I'd like to note is that my dose has recently been moved up to 100mg (from 50mg). I can't say for certain if I had dyslexia before the increased dose.. but I wasn't looking for it. It just struck me now after I was shocked that I transposed a number that this is becoming a big problem for me (math major!)

My short term memory also seems non-existent, but this effect gradually faded away when I was a few weeks into the 50mg/day period. I forgot things 100% of the time. I've done tests and _cannot_ for the life of me remember to do something unless I write it down.

I.e., I sit at a diner and tell myself that I will pick up food for my sister when I'm done eating. I finish eating and go home, only remembering when my sister asks where her food is.

I also seem to forget things when around people. I might scream "where the hell is my phone?" and my wife would reply "I just told you I have it, you said 'alright'"

Last edited by joebloggs2; 04-01-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User
Re: SSRI induced dyslexia/short term memory loss?

Joe I am right there with ya, my short term memory is the pitts, I have to right everything down otherwise I forget too. I also have some form of dyslexia I never had before, My guess is it is the SSRI doing it. I take lexapro and before that it was paxil. Very disturbing isnt it??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread