It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dyslexia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
(female)

LonelyGuitar275 HB User
ADD or maybe Dyslexia?

Iím a 19 year old female in college. I used to call myself the ultimate procrastinator because I can never get my assignments done until the day before their due. Iíve had this problem quite some time and is has become a major issue in my life. I started college at 17 and flunked my first semester because I had the tendency to wait until the last minute to study for tests or write essays/reports. Iím in my 5th semester but have fail 6/14 classes most of my grades Cís and some Dís . Recently I had a 10 page term paper and 2 books reports due which I knew about 7 weeks in advance. I didnít start the papers until the day before they were due. I consider this a problem because when I attempt to start my assignments I get to frustrated I sometimes start crying or I get so distracted I put the assignment off until its to late. Also I originally thought I had some type of dyslexia because I failed math classes due to the fact that I read and wrote a lot of the numbers backwards unconsciously which resulted in a lot of wrong answers. I worked as a cashier in a grocery store and had trouble giving the totals to the customers because my eyes would see one thing but it was like my mind processed the numbers backwards. For example I would see 47.25 but I would say 52.74. If you have any information please help me understand whatís going on. Either I have a disorder or Iím really just a lazy procrastinator. Unless I get past this I feel I won't be successful in life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
(female)

artsy70 HB User
Re: ADD or maybe Dyslexia?

hiya,
It sounds like you possibly may have some of visual reversal situation happening. One question Have you ever had you eyes tested by a behavioural optometrist?? could be the first place you may want to start. If this does not give nay answers I would then go an see a psychologist and ask to have a test such As the WAIS which stands for the Wischler Adult intelligence Score. This is not a test that gives a definitive iq score but it tells how what your potential for learning is and how quickly you can cognitively function. It will give the psychologist scope to use further tests if dyslexia or other conditions may be present.Another screening tool that is a good screener for Dyslexia is a British screening test especially targeted for screening dyslexia in higher Education is the York Adult Assestment, but a good psychologist would be aware of these battery tests.
I am also a chronic procrastinator and a University ( college student) as well. I am well known for manically writing up essays the night before.I have as I have gotten into the second and third year units found I can't work that way. Although I have been lucky i never failed but I have one more than a few instances just scraped over the line.
In regards to procrastination I think it is not merely a feature of adhd or laziness, I just think maybe perhaps some of us are just better at accelerating at the finish..( ha ha). I accept that I may be an adrenaline addict and love to sprint at the end, just joking.I have been told leaving things to the last minute is a typical uni/college student thing!!. I know that it is said that many people with Adhd are procrastinators due to the condition but a psychological evaluation may rule in/out many of your concerns. In the case of ADHD research indicates that many who are bright and have adhd in 30% of cases they also have dyslexia.
Now before you feel that oh my god I have both and my college days are over,I will tell you this I know personally of a University professor who lectures in special education Who had just completed her second doctorate, she has Adhd and Dyslexia. She also runs a very successful educational training business in which she goes to schools and trains teachers how to teach dyslexic children/adults. She is also is a full qualified psychologist as well,and has two children as well. So there is hope.
I suggest get the eyes tested, get the psych evaluation this might relieve some of the angst. Most colleges/Universities these days are very supportive of students with LD . If the reversal of numbers is major issue for you, I might suggest that you look at getting a talking calculator, that has helped my daughter who has the same trouble. Just google assistive technology /talking calculators and that will give a few places that sell these.
In regards to putting of the term papers etc, break the task down into smaller parts, maybe try to get three paragraphs done per week, and reward yourself for doing so.When I am researching I use colored post it notes to mark the relevant quotes etc that i find in books journals etc,as i go. I then transpose these on to the same colored a4 sheets, and before I know it I have some bones for my paragraphs. I then place the finished paragraphs on the floor and then I write the linking claims that link these paragraphs. I then find it easy to write my thesis and summary as vertually they are a summary of the paragraphs I have written.I then type all , then I Edit and cull words to bring the word count down.
I know it sounds a messy way to write a paper but it works for me.I found by working on one paragraph at a time is less daunting than trying to write the whole thing all at once. I also find that often as you are researching one particular point often you find more juicy bits for a previous paragraph, so I get out the relevant colored post it, and then re add to the paragraph.I find by doing it this way is that you by a method of osmosis have developed your arguement. Mind maps are another way of breaking down tasks into smaller tasks,
Hope this helps cheers artsy...........

Last edited by artsy70; 11-06-2008 at 03:10 PM.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:16 AM   #3
(female)

LonelyGuitar275 HB User

Iíll definitely look into seeing an behavioral optometrist although itís kind of difficult to find one in my area so I may need to do a little traveling. Iím also going to take in consideration the things you said about procrastination. Iím not good at following schedules but I will try to break my work up into small parts Iíll have to finish by the end of the week. If that doesnít work Iíll start staying on campus after class is over to get a good chunk of my projects done so it wonít be such a rush the day before the due date. I still want to get to the optometrist and a psychologist. Iíve been meaning to get to a psychologist anyway for reasons other then a possible learning disability.

Thanks a mill for replying, youíve been very helpful.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

paschar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyGuitar275 View Post
Iím a 19 year old female in college. I used to call myself the ultimate procrastinator because I can never get my assignments done until the day before their due. Iíve had this problem quite some time and is has become a major issue in my life. I started college at 17 and flunked my first semester because I had the tendency to wait until the last minute to study for tests or write essays/reports. Iím in my 5th semester but have fail 6/14 classes most of my grades Cís and some Dís . Recently I had a 10 page term paper and 2 books reports due which I knew about 7 weeks in advance. I didnít start the papers until the day before they were due. I consider this a problem because when I attempt to start my assignments I get to frustrated I sometimes start crying or I get so distracted I put the assignment off until its to late. Also I originally thought I had some type of dyslexia because I failed math classes due to the fact that I read and wrote a lot of the numbers backwards unconsciously which resulted in a lot of wrong answers. I worked as a cashier in a grocery store and had trouble giving the totals to the customers because my eyes would see one thing but it was like my mind processed the numbers backwards. For example I would see 47.25 but I would say 52.74. If you have any information please help me understand whatís going on. Either I have a disorder or Iím really just a lazy procrastinator. Unless I get past this I feel I won't be successful in life.
Q: have you been tested for ADD or had a DDT done for types of visual disorder like strephosymbolia , dysgraphia, or dyscalculia (any one of these sound like what you are attempting to explain) as for my self everything appears backwards all the time , thus the use of computer technology is my only way to see the normal view, ours being the simplest form, of dyslexia to overcome, a Dyslexia Determination Test will tell a doctor if you are a dyslexic or not , take the first step on your pathway to knowledge . paschar

Closed Thread