It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dyslexia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 02:20 AM   #1
(female)

Mareesey HB User
Ive nearly given up.

My mom is very dyslexic. When I was in the third grade she took my brother and I to get our eyes checked out turns out we were both dyslexic. They said that I was worse off than him and I got vision training (I think thats what you call it) I don't remember what we even did but I guess it was supposed to have helped. My brother I know for a fact writes letters backwards, capitolizes random letters, and avoids reading as much as possible (school threw him in LD for the state money and never taught him a thing). I on the other hand have no idea what I do when I write because it all looks perfectly fine to me. I write numbers not backwards themselves but if it was 123 I would write 321 or throw the last number in the middle. And I see it most of the time as the same. I gave up on math and I have so far given up on college. I barely got out of highschool with decent grades and college ive gone 3 times with horrible results. They need me to take math classes but only offer them online I can't learn that way and they told me no refund on the course and that I would need to go to a community college to take the course in class. I will write notes at work for my manager, things to do with the money and such and ill get a call later with him snickering asking what im talking about. I understand it but no one else can. Is this dyslexia or not and what can I do. I do want to go back to college but I don't want to look stupid again. I was never put into LD my "high" IQ saw to that (I still have yet to see the proof of this high IQ). So im not sure my next step if any.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
(female)

Pearl201se11 HB User
Re: Ive nearly given up.

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!! It is called Dyscalculia. Sometimes also called Math Dyslexia. I show severe symptoms of this!!!!!

T.J.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-10-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: posted contact info

Old 12-09-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

css1 HB User

I don't know much about it yet if u r a reader the best book is

"A Mind at a Time" by Dr. Levin

this guy is he bill gates of learning disabilites

the whole book floored me in how he has dedicated his life to learning disabilities and for the most part there are easy solutions if u can figure out which of the EXACT things a person struggles with

and for the most part learning disabilties are in there infancy of our knowledge as a whole

there is hope for you, alot of it, you write well, clear and concise, so it's not an issue of communicating, ie, expressing your thoughts, it is a process issue

hoped that helped
good luck

Old 12-10-2008, 06:10 AM   #4
(female)

Pearl201se11 HB User

Yes, I'm very much a reader!!!!

T. J.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:27 AM   #5
(female)

artsy70 HB User

hi,
Sounds like Dyslaculia to me. simple soution, A talking calculator. Speech to text software, you talk it types called dragon speak, and a reading pen or a dysleix class readers, all assitive technology.
As for the money if you had one of these scanning reading pen you could wear a small earpeice and you could scan the notes and it would speak the currency to you. Read please is another free programe that you can use to read the words numbers on a computer I find if you hear the numeral there are less chance of reversals or typing the wrong word. As a university student in their final year of a BA degree who is dyslexic and has ADHD who's GPA is 3.8 I use assitive technology to held me. Talking calculators are a good options as well
cya artsy.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
(female)

Pearl201se11 HB User

Were can you get anaffordable reading pen ($100 or less)?

Old 02-23-2009, 12:45 AM   #7
(female)

artsy70 HB User

in The country in which i live they retial for about $250 to three hundred dollars.I for my child to purchase the dyslexic reader,approached a charity orginisation as it cost about $500 which is about $350 us still a fair few clams.
I would say you might get one second hand maybe. You could try approaching your college as sometimes they have these for loan to students depending on the faculty.Other than that give up the treats for a month and you should have your pen. Ie give up soft drink no take away coffee bring your lunch, from home in four weeks it is amazing how much you can save, that is of course if you are still living at home. if you are a studetn on your own well that is a different story, do you have a cashed up relative?? that could loan you the money. cheers artsy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 02-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #8
(female)

Pearl201se11 HB User

I could save up for one. Wouldn't take very long.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
(female)

Agnes77 HB User

I'm sorry for your difficulty. I am dyslexic and my daughter is severely dyslexic too.
However, I put my daughter in a program 2 years ago. She couldn't read or write. She also mixed up numbers and letters and did all kinds of crazy things on paper.
The public school system is worthless so I took care of it myself.

One week after the program my daughter sat down and read her first book (it was a chapter book) in an hour....and understood everything she read!

it is a great program. However, it is expensive...it's about $3000 for the program. I used my tax return to pay for my daughters. That was the best $3000 I spent. She is doing really well.....hasn't reversed a word since doing that program. She is still struggling with spelling though....so we are thankful for spell check!
I also did the math u see program with her and she actually likes math now! You could try the algebra math u see program & that may give you the basics to survive college algebra.

Good luck!

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-07-2011 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Closed Thread