It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dyslexia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2003, 01:10 PM   #1

wild rose HB User
Arrow Parents of children with dyslexia

I have a 13 year old who has been diagnosed as dyslexic in math and some reading. She also has a memory problem. Looking for parents that have had good experiences in help with these issues. I've not been happy with public school. However she is mainstreamed in her other courses and does well. She works so hard. Any learning programs technics anything. I know she is capable of more. Can you share your experiences?
------------------
wild rose

[This message has been edited by wild rose (edited 07-25-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2003, 09:32 PM   #2
(female)

Shababy HB User
My daughter was first diagnosed with ADD, but now it was diagnosed with Right Hemispheric Learning Disorder which is way worse. Does your daughter have any more symptoms. I took my daughter to a psycologist and had all the testing done that they had. It costed $770.00 for all of it which was way worth it. I have similar problems but hers are way worse because her disorder comes from her spinal condition. Has she had x-rays of her spine just to rule everything out? My daughter's spinal 3 spinal disorders weren't diagnosed until end of 5th grade and still finding more disorders.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2003, 09:38 PM   #3
(female)

Shababy HB User
I have dyslexia and I am 43. I still have problems with reading, math. My biggest problems are in science, history, literature, anything to do with reading. I was in the military for 13 yrs and wasn't diagnosed with a severe reading problem till after I got out of the military and tried college again. Always dropped out of the reading courses. Once diagnosed with a learning disorder, she can get tutors, maybe take a tape recorder to school, have someone take notes for her, etc. but first you need the diagnosis by a psycologist.

------------------

Old 07-29-2003, 12:02 PM   #4

wild rose HB User
Smile

Thank you for sharing. What tests was your daughter given? We did take her to the University of Iowa to have further testing done and they pinpointed it to math dyslexia, some reading dyslexia, and a memory problem. Her rote memory is excellant but the other forms of memory are very difficult for her. They did a physical when she was there. She is a very hard worker. Sometimes she is right on task and does great- if you take into consideration her disabilities and other times she doesn't get it at all. She has like a brain fog. I have some mild mild symptoms but never had problems in school- I know they demand more from students now then they did when I was in school. I am very interested in learning more about what kind of tests your daughter took. I am very surprised to hear you where in the military- which branch? They didn't realize and have you tested???? I was in A.F. for 7 1/2 years. My daughter did tape one of her mainstream classes last year. We are wanting her to tape all her classes this year- and last year her teacher handled it. we want her to be responsible for her own taping. They only taped the review for testing and owuld like for her to tape the lectures, on a dailly basis. We are hoping to purchase text books to have here at home so she doesn't have to worry about bringing them home, we have a son one year behind her. So they would get some use. We also had a personality conflict with a teacher they intend to use again this year. So rather than put her through that again if they try and place her in that teachers class. I will home school or try to open enroll her out of the district. She got really involved int he books she read last year when I read them at the same time. We get books on tape from the library then if she gets into the book she'll sometimes put down the head phones and read. Sometimes she puts down the book. But this particular teacher could teach her english, literature, and math.Have you done any other programs that were successful. Well thank you again for responding. GOD BLESS

------------------
wild rose

Old 08-09-2003, 06:56 PM   #5
(female)

Icaaa HB User
Hi I just popped in to this sight. I am a teacher and a mother of a 21 year old learning disabled man. (WOW! I will never call him that to his face. ) I don't know if I can answer any of your questions or if you want to hear my answers. I am so aware of how gently we as parents and the child need to be treated.

I'll start out by telling you a little about Andrew. He was a very busy preschooler. In kindergarten he had trouble telling pink from purple. (Absolutely learned them backwards to this day confuses them.) K. teacher couldn't put her finger on what was srong. Our school has a 2 year k. class. So it is no big deal here to go through k twice. Late second started making "stupid" mistakes. 3rd. grade couldn't get spelling right. Hadn't EVER missed a word in 1 or 2. Reading struggled. Went through testing at the school. It was a fiasco. BUT teachers that had him were great. Tried lots of things. Thought he had filtering problems (hears lights buzzing in room as loud as teacher was talking). Tried a microphone on teacher he wore ear phones. Finally, Got him with a LD teacher who we feel saved his life and a lady who was a doctor of education. She gave us insight.

Now, It was not easy. EVER!! I sent Andrew to school all day and when he got home I retaught him everything he had learned at school. BUT, the light will go on. When he was late 5th he looked at me (I even remember what he was wearing) and said I know me. What a weird thing to say. NO, He explained at that moment he understood what he needed help with. We had a very detailed talk. But it broke down to what he thought I saw and what he sees.

In my opinion, we can test children until the cows come home but unfortunately, it only lables them and gets them to where they are going to get the help. Yes, Test. But, only enough to get the help..Then work like heck finding the way your child learns...by trial and error. Listen to what they tell you when you lay a colored film sheet over the page. (Do you know what I mean by this?) Show them to read the big black headings of the history book not the whole chapter. Then, when you find the part you think is where the answer is look for key words. Are your children on IEP's. This is imperative!!

Can they be successful? Andrew signed a $52,000. contract to landscape the new building at the community college 2 weeks before his hig school graduation. Was it easy getting him here? He!! NO!!

I know this is long. I know I have skipped alot. Do you want my help? Ask me any question you would like. If you do not want me back, ok, too.

Carla

Old 08-10-2003, 07:38 AM   #6

wild rose HB User

Thank you for your reply. Yes I am very interested in any help. I do not know what the colored films are all about? She does have an iep has since kindergarten. She is in the eight grade. We have spent a lot of time at home with her teaching her. Last quarter of last semester she got a 3.4 grade point average. She is working very very hard. Is there resources you found helpful? We have got some books but haven't found anything about putting films over the page? What colors? We have found she is a auditory learner so she taped her test review last year in science and it helped a great deal. Other teachers were not willing to tape. SO We plan to have her tape her classes this year. Plan to buy extra set of books for home- she tends to forget them and the load in back pack is sooo heavy. ANy suggestions- I am desperate for help. I am not happy with the way school has been handling her to this point she has had three really good teachers. Thank you. School starts in 1week here!!! GOD BLESS renie

[This message has been edited by wild rose (edited 08-10-2003).]

[This message has been edited by wild rose (edited 08-11-2003).]

Old 08-10-2003, 02:49 PM   #7
(female)

Icaaa HB User
Renie (hope I got the name right),

So thrilled to see she is doing so good in school. You are to be commended http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

The colored film.
It is like the film used on an overhead projector. It comes in different hues. (Ask one of those great teachers to help you or go to an office supply store explain situation to manager. Maybe get a couple donated. You certainly don't need a whole pack.) Our children have a hard time seeing black print on white too drastic for their brains to handle. With this film of maybe a blue tint or green or whatever it helps the brain handle the stark black on white.

Do you know that any learning disability is very much like sugar diabetes. When a diabetic checks their sugar sometimes it is fine then other times for no apparent reason it is out of whack. You said sometimes she reads by herself and other times she just can't. YES. She needs to know that is ok and part of her make up. I was carful how I talked to Andrew. When he could he did when he couldn't I did. He also would get lasy. He was a kid after all.

As far as school--I called an IEP meeting whenever I wanted a change or wording redefined (usually for a teacher I felt would not comply). (A funny note here in HS Andrew started calling them. The principal called me one day and asked why we were having an IEP meeting I said I didn't know we were. Well, he said he had just sent out the papers. Here it turned out Andrew called the meeting. He had a teacher who was writing notes on the board in cursive. Until then I didn't know he couldn't read cursive.) Call the school NOW and ask to have a scheduled IEP meeting. If they ask why tell Principal or whoever handles this that you want classes taped. I also got all teacher's notes. They just copied them and gave them to Andrew. He also had a "buddy." A good student who took notes and the office copied immediately after the class. If he says no clarify-ask if he really wants to denie you this. Remind him Bush has set clear standards for "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND!" Do you have your state and national LD standards? GET THEM!! You have so many rights and your child has even more than you. Call your state education office. Ask if there are parent advacates for children on IEP's? You are half way there with an IEP already. This is a binding and LAWFUL document. Get in it what you want. You have the control. Take it.

Again sorry for going on so long. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif This is my soapbox for children.

Carla

Old 08-11-2003, 02:59 PM   #8

wild rose HB User
Arrow

Carla,
I'm going to get the films and see if they will help. I am really willing to try anything to help her. The school has not been very willing to give her the notes as she can kind of get some of it down- but nothing I can understand when she brings it home. They send the review home in the one class. but not dailly notes. So I can change that. When I was in college they had a course syllabus- why don;t they do that in school. with her memory problems anthing I can connect with everyday life and experinces will stay in her memory. How early can they test for dyslexia. I have a 2 1/2 yr old girl just wondering if its possible for her to have it too. Sometimes she reminds me of when Brittney was little. Also how do you get to a doctor of education? I do have the rights of special education, ld standards are differant? I have had some contact with parent advocate helped with iep last year. I know my daughter is working so hard, whatever I can do to help and make it easier for her and so she doen't have so much homework. THANK YOU. Us mothers can always be wordy when it comes to children. forgive me too?? GOD BLESS Renie

------------------
wild rose

Old 08-21-2003, 02:21 PM   #9

scorpiochik777 HB User
Unhappy

I have a huge delima and maybe someone can give me some helpfull advice.

I have a 6 year old nephew, and from the time he was born to now he has had a traumatic life.
He was conceived unexpectedly and my brother wanted to do the "right" thing by marrying the mother because her parents were catholic and she already had one child out of wedlock.
It was the wrong thing. They fought constantly and my nephews mother loved to drink and scream. My brother was the oppisite, calm and quiet and shy.

My nephew did ok, he started talking at a year old, but one night my brother and his wife got into a terrible argument, (screaming match, who knows what my nephew saw that night.)My brother left as he couldnt take anymore.
After this my nephew stopped talking for almost 2 years.

Now, my brother is dovorced from that woman and happily married again to a woman with 2 children.
The problem is, my nephew started school and things are going horribly.

He is very impatient and hyper. He is mean and disrespectfull and angry, and he has little social skills.
Everyone sees him as the bad kid.
He gets no discipline at his mother house during the week or attention. He pretty much gets up early and goes outside to play, and doesnt come in until dark, with no supervision all day. He is very self reliant.

My mom and I however, know him like no one else and know what he went through.
He can be the sweetest kid if he is in one constant environment with one set of rules.
Too bad this environment is not availible.
His parents go back and forth over issues concering everything from money, to his schooling.

My brother pays child support, plus extra that he doesnt even have to give her, and his mother still complains.
She even says stuff to my nephew about it.

My brother has insurance on him, but his mother still wants them to take him to every doctors appointment and pay the copay.

His mom tells him to tel my brothers wife(of 3 years) that he doesnt have to listen to her because she isnt his mother and that he doestn have to do anything they say because he will tell his mom.

My nephew went through kindergarden last year and did not excel. My brother and his wife would work with him on the weekends and he would learn alot, but his mother wouldnt do anything with him during the week.
He doesnt know hiw whole alphebet and when he writes he often writes letters backwards.
Even the letters in his name.
He also has a very bad memory when it comes to acedemics.

We beleive he has some sort of learning disability, maybe dislexic.
The problem is...his mom will NOT get him any help.
My brother tries to talk to her and she says that it is from him being premature.
My brother went to the school to find out when conference was so he could talk with the teacher about it, and he found that he was not even on my nephews emergency card. His mother had put his stepfather as his father on the card and they told my brother he couldnt change it because she filled out the card, not him.
They went to the attorney and he says that they cant do anything because the mother has all the rights, and unless she is doing something abusive they wont get far in court.

My nephew is two weeks into his REPEATED year of kindergarten and he says he hates it because it is boring and not fun.

I think he just doesnt understand what they are trying to teach him and he doesnt have any friends because of his lack of social skills.

He is actually shy and has low self esteem. Sometimes he will say things like, "I dont like my head, its ugly."
or i will tell him to take off his shirt to go swimming and he says, "nooo, everybody will look at me, and im fat." (he is nooot fat.)

I am completely upset and at a loss for what to do.
I cant watch my first born nephew, my baby, have his life screwd up because his mother isnt mature enough to grow up and take care of her kid.

I dont know what else to do.

I was thinking about going to his school myself but I dont even know if I would be able to talk to his teacher because im not a parent.

It is breaking my heart.

any suggestions?

Old 03-04-2004, 06:51 PM   #10

MELYLOVE HB User
Re: Parents of children with dyslexia

hello Icaaa let me tell u i have a stepson that have some of that issue u are talking about and i will like to ask u something.....
what the school need to see in a student to do something about it and decide that he need help. special when a kid already felt grade once and are doing worse the second time... please help about this

Old 03-05-2004, 11:47 PM   #11
(female)

nessa62873 HB User
Re: Parents of children with dyslexia

hi,
i have dyslexia
they found out that i had in when i was 6yrs old and they put me in a special class for my reading and speech i went to these classes everyday until i was in the 5th grade and after that i was put in readmial classes that help me a little bit more what you can do is contact the school and have your child tested if they don't do it they asked them where if they can't help you then contact the school board and ask for the special education supervisor and tell them your problem and they will help you keep buging them until they do it hope this helps

Old 03-21-2004, 11:50 PM   #12

louitec HB User
Question Re: Parents of children with dyslexia

When I was in school, my parents and the teachers thought I was just goofing off, and got in trouble. While in GED class at age 26, I was diagnosed with dyslexia and reading comprehetion disability. My GED teacher was an angel, she help me, and I got my GED with a ( C+ average ). I'm still dont read very good, my wife help me, when I need it. My problem is My grand kids come over and want papaw to read them a story, I stuggle through the kids books. I feel stupid. I'm a computer tech / computer repare. What shood I do??????

Thanks Louie

Closed Thread