It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dyslexia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
(female)

jackie0411 HB User
Dyslexia?

I'm a 17 year old IB student with a very high IQ, and i have noticed in my coursework that i have a really hard time with numbers. I wrote a paper on dyslexia in 7th grade and i always had the thought in the back of my head, because in the paper it said it was something that all types of intelligence level can have.

Actually, let me make this more clear, math is one of my best subjects, i understand it with great ease. But when told numbers or when reading numbers, i often cannot remember the order in which they were told to me in, or i mix it up completely. I will be given 1618 and it will come across to me as 8116. Also, when writing i will often mix my numbers up with my letters and my letters with my numbers. Most often is my 5's and S's. It is not something i realize i do until i look back and read what i have written.

Also when reading, i tend to read a sentence and completely mix up the words in my head, and it forces me to have to go back and reread it multiple times before they are in the correct order to me.

I have no idea if this is dyslexia, any comments?

Old 07-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
(male)

kevpark HB User
Re: Dyslexia?

u might, but it might be best to see a professional as im not an expert. however, dyslexia doesn't mean ur stupid, cause ur not (u obviously have a very high iq). many successful people have dyselxia, such as whoopi goldberg, and many many more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

paschar HB User
Re: Dyslexia?

< edited > I have done a study of my own reading disorder for the last 20 years because I reads and write in the perfect mirror image.
everything appears Backwards to me. my visual condition is called strephosymbolia which means in translation strepho(twisted) symbolia (symbols) Twisted Symbols , their is no known cure for this so i have had to addapt to the use of a special computer system that supports a mirrored screen.

if you are confused with lower case letters i.e. db bd qp pq then this may be a sign of disgraphia (confustion with graphics) of letters try this little trick : with the use of a sharpie black flow pen on thin paper, write down your name letting the ink bleed through the paper , then flip it over in the horizontal , do the same with numbers and see if the text is harder or easyer to read , if it is easyer to precieve in the mirror backwards image then this is the only test to prove to yourself that you have this type of dyslexia.
we know how you must feel because we have been there and done that already

Last edited by hb-mod; 01-21-2010 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Please do not post personal information, such as name, telephone or email address. Thanks!

Closed Thread