It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dyslexia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
(female)

alpine HB User
The day to day struggles of dyslexia

My son (2nd grade) has dyslexia and is coping at school, but not thriving. His teacher is wonderful and she does a great job of keeping my husband and I informed. She also is great at adjusting my son's work to accomodate his disability. I have two concerns. One, his teacher says he is really feeling frustrated, tired and despondent in class. Two, we struggle SO much with homework. Like many people with dyslexia, he is very bright and has a real thirst for knowledge. But, the mechanics of learning are so difficult that I see him spiraling down. His main problem is the visual reversal of letters and numbers. Every day we have a huge after school session of frustration (his and mine) and I feel like he is so unhappy and his self-esteem is decreasing rapidly. Of course, by the end of a school day he is exhausted from having to work twice as hard as his peers to accomplish the same work. Does anyone have suggestions to overcome the day to day struggles that we are experiencing?

Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
(female)

Nyxks HB User
Re: The day to day struggles of dyslexia

My saving grace took the form of my public school bring in a computer (back in the early 80s they where next to unheard of in the classroom), I found that though I couldn't write to save my life (back then) give me a keyboard and I had next to no issues with the writing side of things.

Then in university, I got almost all my course books on tape from the Canadian National Instatue for the Blind (CNIB) they where a life saver. I love to read, but things like text books and other material which has lots of long words that I can not piece out are beyond me in most regards (if I can't sound a word out I just can't make sense of it and if a word doesn't look familure I can't even begin to spell it).

Not sure what is open where you are or at what level your child is at with dyslexia, but maybe reading to him and getting him to commit words and images to memory might help him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread