It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dyslexia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
(female)

DeniseOfPA HB User
Question Hello

My name is Denise.
My youngest daughter(8) seems to have all of the symptoms of dyslexia however the school fails to recognize as a learning disability. I guess I feel really unsure as to what to do next.
The district has tested her and although they found all kinds of things wrong that are standard dyslexia issues, they fail to see her as having a disability.

I have started to switch her from a family doctor to a pediatrician that I heard helps with this but I feel totally lost when it comes to IEPs and 504s.

Do I need a doctor's diagnosis and recommendations to legally start either of these and what is the difference....in English (LOL.)

Old 04-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
(female)

spring chicken HB User
Re: Hello

You will need to contact the International Dlyslexia Association. Just google them. They have a support group in Pennsyvania where you can have your daughter specifically tested for the disorder. Doctors really don't know a whole lot about remediation for dyslexia. The best thing to do is to find a tutor or take clases yourself and help her out this summer. Find out as much as you can about dyslexia. A lot of states have their annual meetings and workshops in the spring so check that out as well.
Our daughter was diagnosed in 1990. I tutored and homeschooled her because the schools here wouldn't do any specific remediation. If you can have someone trained in the Orton Gillingham method of tutoring or someone with knowledge of the Wilson (classroom) program. Keep searching.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread