It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dyslexia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
(male)

twigness HB User
Help!!!

Hi eryone,
My sister (13) has Mild Dyslexia. I dont agree with this but hey that is what the experts say so yea. I dont know that much about the hole dyslexia thing but i do know that she has been really down over the last little while. She also thinks that she is quite dumb, but when mid year reports were issued she was doing just over avarage in most of her subjects. But she could just not see that she did well in her report. please help my to understand the hole think a little beter and maby how i can get her too see that she is not at all dumb.

Thanks,
twiggness

Old 06-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
(female)

jmwe29 HB User
Re: Help!!!

Harold Levinson wrote a book called Smart but Feeling Dumb which pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?? Kind of technical, but he's got another called The Upside Down Kids.

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-25-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
(male)

gllaura HB User

This is very common in dyslexic people, especially through school. I had real trouble with the knowledge that i understood everything i was supposed to and often much more than was required for my age group, but could never explain it.
This often lead to teachers patronisingly simplifying the material down and treating me like i was completely stupid, as though i had nothing but hot air between my ears.
This combined with under achieving in exams make it very easy for dyslexic students to simply say.... right maybe i am just stupid!

This as a rule couldn't be further from the truth.

Although at times dyslexia seems to be a huge curse. There are a ridiculous number of advantages to being dyslexic.For example dyslexic people as a whole are extremely creative and intelligent people. They have the ability to think outside the box and approach problems differently. I believe there is a book called the 'gift of dyslexia' which could help you understand the benefits further. I mean some of the most intelligent people in history, such as Albert Einstein and Leonardo De Vinvi, both showed many signs of being dyslexic.

Anyways i hope this helps.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
(male)

Ejm3412 HB User

I can understand your concerns fully with sister. The biggest challenge to having dyslexia is the way that people deal with the person because they have this difficulty in something that is extremely valuable and appears to be taken for granted by persons that read/write with ease. Dyslexic people will have a very challenging road based on improving an area that they must face on a daily basis for the rest of their life.

It is very sad that people that have limits and difficulties due to dyslexia are treated so poorly. As humans, we must look and be willing to promote a wider understanding of dyslexia. As parents, students, family members, friends, and teacher; we must be tolerant and willing to offer assistance on how to help dyslexic people learn and work more effectively.

Please look for help groups in your area and online, your sister is not alone, many people both old and young share the same difficulties daily caused by dyslexia.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
(male)

Murphy015 HB User

Reading between the lines is a good book to get you started. You also need to let her know that it's not a bad thing to have do to her IQ is most likely though the roof. I was tested for it in first grade and was told I was deferent then all the kids in my class it hurt me a lot. Read the book and try to work with her as much as you can.

Reply Reply

Tags
dumb, dyslexia, report, sister