It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2003, 09:04 AM   #1

hmay8 HB User
Question muscle spasticity

I was diagnosed with MS May 1 this year then three weeks later undiagnosed. I am waiting on test results for my thyroid. Can thyroid problems cause muscle spasticity? Can it cause porgressive difficulty swallowing? It feels like there is a lump in my throat. What bothers me most though is the pain I feel when my muscles in my arms and legs feel like they don't want to stretch . I can't sit or bend over because the pain is too unbearable. Is this common in thyroid disease? Also what about graves? I was diagnosed with optic neuritis. It was a wishy washy diagnosis. Can graves cause pain in the eyes and blurred vision? Thanks for any feed back.
hmay8

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2003, 09:40 AM   #2

SvenskaFlicka HB User
Smile

The relationship between MS and thyroid, Graves' Disease and Hashimoto's thyroiditis, is that they are autroimmune dsiorders. If you have one autoimmune disorder you are prone to come down another. A thyroid nodule will cause difficulty in swallowing and a sore neck or throat. There is a Thyroid Eye Disease TED, that any thyroid patient can come down with which enclude eye pain and vision problems. The rest of your problems, pain, etc are probably due to MS. Thyroid disorders will cause aches and pains, mostly from charlie horse and muscle cramps, etc. But if you have MS its probably from MS.
I suggest if you haven't already done so, go to the doctors, endo, and have your thyroid check. Physically doctor will feel around your thyroid area for nodule/goiter. Then have blood test done TSH, T-4 and T-3 or FT-4 and FT-3, and antibodies for Graves and Hashi. Also go to an ophthalmologist for your eye problem. With this all done you will know where you stand, at least with thyroid disorders.

Good Luck,

------------------
Flicka

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2003, 10:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by hmay8:
I was diagnosed with MS May 1 this year then three weeks later undiagnosed. I am waiting on test results for my thyroid. Can thyroid problems cause muscle spasticity? Can it cause porgressive difficulty swallowing? It feels like there is a lump in my throat. What bothers me most though is the pain I feel when my muscles in my arms and legs feel like they don't want to stretch . I can't sit or bend over because the pain is too unbearable. Is this common in thyroid disease?
hmay8
you say you were diagnosed -- how: spinal tap, MRI? other? and how/why were you undiagnosed? i gather it was may 21-- awful diagnosis to live with, even for a day, never mind three weeks ...

difficulty swallowing (dysphagia) manifests itself in two ways: either it feels like your neck is a hard tube (hypO), or you feel like you have a lump in your throat (hypER) ...

hypO (which i'm familiar with) causes one's whole body just to slow down: are you constipated? do your joints ache when you get up in the morning? have you gained weight? my tendons and muscles used to scream at me in the morning, and sometimes still do ('ve been on synthroid since late march) ... sometimes, i ache during the day, too ...

are you sleepy? are you exhausted? are you heat sensitive? these are only a few of hypO's symptoms, and i can see why they were confused with MS ...

post your results as soon as you get them , and post more info about your symptoms too... MS can be tricky to diagnose, esp. if a spinal tap is negative or an MRI shows nothing ...

best of luck, and hope the news is better (altho' thyroid disease isn't a disease that i would inflict on anyone - well, perhaps my worst enemy )

[This message has been edited by jinglebts (edited 06-23-2003).]

[This message has been edited by jinglebts (edited 06-23-2003).]

Old 06-23-2003, 02:02 PM   #4

hmay8 HB User
Thank you for your replies. Now just for a breif history; In the year 2000 I was diagnosed with optic neuritis. My opthamologist originally told me it was a virus but wrote in my chart (optic neuritis). I only found out because I saw his partner who read his notes to me. I was a little upset. So I went to see a neuro because of numbness, weakness, tingling and lack off bladder control all which I was told could be MS.

My MRI only showed atrophy. He told me that my brain was that of an elderly woman. I was 25 at the time. He said it wasn't enough to dx me. My spinal and blood work and nerve tests were all normal. I didn't go back until May 1st of this year. I told him about my flair-ups. and all other symptoms. He then told me "clinicly " I have MS. He also said he wanted to run more tests and no matter what the results he would say "MS". So I told evryone. I went through all the emotions of getting a dx. I even worked out what treatment I wanted. He told me to wean my baby so I could start on treatments as soon as possible.

When I went back for test results he told me nothing had changed and he didn't know what I had. He also said we needed to rule out other things. But he just closed my file and stood up. I was speechless. I didn't know what to say. My hand was in complete spasms and I had at least hoped for meds to help with that and the severe pain it was causing. I cried and cried. I just want to know what is wrong with me.

I went and saw my GP. I asked him for a referal to get a second opinion. He told me I probly do have ms and to wait a little longer so tests will show. He is testing my thyroid and I should get the results this week sometime. I guess I hoped if that is what I have then I could rule out MS on my own. The docs. don't help much so I am trying to figure things out on my own. Sometimes I get worried that with both arms and both legs my muscles are so tight that it huts to move and with the difficulty swallowing that gets worse all the time, ALS comes to mind. I guess I am just caught up in finding something wrong with me that I even look at things that arn't possible.

I hope I answered all the questions. thanks again for responding. I feel so lost sometimes. I will also reply when I get my thyroid blood tests back.

hmay8

Old 06-23-2003, 05:09 PM   #5
Inactive

reneeintx HB User
Hmay~

I went through the ALS scare. I started twitching when I became hyperthyroid. I still worry about ALS with the what if's.

When you say spasms, do you mean twitching? or cramping? I've had both.

I hope you come back to post the results of your thyroid test.

Renee

Old 06-24-2003, 09:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking

you poor sweetie ... i've been thru' that too (MS , lupus, other things too numerous and obscure to mention), but all the tests were for naught and i get to live with this "stroke" ...

i'd get another neuro -- you're going to need one, if you have MS or whatever, and a sympathetic one at that (i don't believe the astonishing stupidity and insensitivity of that first one) ... TRULY, do get another neuro anyway, because you do need a second opinion (imagine the nerve of him saying He told me that my brain was that of an elderly woman. ... did he show you the MRI? what on earth did he mean??? how cruel!!!

there are prescription muscle relaxants that don't work very well for me, but might for you -- you hafta' be careful of them tho', because they make you sleepy -- i can't believe he didn't prescribe something ...

but don't despair -- not all neuros are like him -- i recall, about 30 years ago, being referred to one for migraines and he said, after his little examination, "i'm afraid there was something seriously wrong in your past, and i can't help you" huh? it turned out to be hay fever, and it's a known cause of migraines, and when i had the shots tney got better! ... now i have a great one ...

keep in touch, sweetie, post your results, know that we are here ...

jb

i guess a bit of history is in order: about eight years ago i had a "stroke" only it wasn't a stroke ... happened quite slowly, over the course of a year or so, i've had every test going, been hither and yon, and no one kbows what's wrong, so that's why i know so much about neuros -- seen six of them in my time and, other than the first, have never been treated so cruelly as your first neuro treated you ...

another thing: MS used to be a "differentioal" diagnosis (when they've ruled everything else out, that's what you have), but now they can be usually detected by an MRI -- i don't understand this "atrophy" thing, and that's ANOTHER reason you should get another neuro -- didn't he explain it to you, the foolish man???

[This message has been edited by jinglebts (edited 06-24-2003).]

Old 06-24-2003, 10:02 AM   #7

hmay8 HB User
my hand would twitch for hours then just couldn't take it anymore and would cramp up. I hide my hand when it does it because my hand goes into questionable poses, not to mention the pain. I also get these wierd twitches in my legs that feels a bit like it is bubbling. I have been losing weight but eat all the time. Although I started nursing my baby again after the undx. So I think that could be it. Past babies I nursed I always gained weight. My legs are getting so skinny I have to search to see if I even have any muscle there. My husband told me I shouldn't complain if I am getting skinny. I wouldn't but my tummy is still here. I am sleepy all the time and have no energy. My muscles are so weak I have trouble taking care of household duties. I hope this answers all the questions. Hopefully I will get my results soon.

hmay

Old 06-26-2003, 07:29 PM   #8

hmay8 HB User
I got my tests results and everything is normal. I guess I should get myself out of denial and admit I have MS. I have been looking everywhere to find out anything that could be wrong with me that wasn't MS. I am 28 years old and I just cant and wont except the fact that I will be disabled. Anyway thanks again for all the advice. It's nice to know someone is listening even when your on a tandrum.

hmay

Closed Thread