It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2003, 09:21 AM   #1

unbroken HB User
Unhappy I need help.

Alright, I didn't know where to put this and I figured I was a woman so I'd put it here.

Anywho, for the past several months I have been experiencing a lot of nausea, lightheadedness, dizziness, headaches, and almost passing out. It isn't fun. I am also tired all the time and often weak. And my heart sometimes skips beats. I don't understand what is wrong with me. I'm on the pill but its not that because I've been on it much longer than these symptoms (about 1.5 years longer). My mother says it's because I don't eat enough, which I don't since I have a mild eating disorder which gets worse everyday because I can't get treatment. Anywho, could these be signs of major health issues? I don't wanna go to the doctors and waste money to find out nothings wrong. so help, please. Oh and I'm anemic as well. But I didn't have most of these problems when I was diagnosed with it.

Thanks for any help.

Old 08-20-2003, 09:31 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You need to see the doc and get on specific iron supplelments for your anemia. These supplements need to be ordered by your doc since the blood work he does will determine how much iron he wants you to take and he will check your levels periodically. Your other symptoms could well be caused by you eating habits so work on improving those. You mention that you can't get treatment but never said why you can't get treatment. You need to get help before something serious happens. I am sure you are well aware of what happened to the famous singer Karen Carpenter. See your doc and get a thorough physical complete with lab work then have the doc recommend a center for treatment of your disorder. I am surprised that your mother is takng such a laid back approach to such a serious problem. Your health is greatly at risk so get started with finding the cause of your problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 09:54 AM   #3

unbroken HB User
My doc never told me how much iron to take. She just told me to take vitamins with iron in them and that should be fine. I never really take them though because it didn't do much anyways. So I'll start to again. I see my doc soon for birth control and gyn stuff and I plan on talking to her then.

I was told I can't get treatment since I'm not underweight (like 5'7"/5'8" and 128/129 lbs, med structure). I would like treatment though sicne I don't want my habits to progress and get worse so that I end up dead, but that's what people told me.

I was mainly wondering if what I'm feeling is any symptoms for anything serious, diseases or anything.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 08-20-2003, 05:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Oops. Hit send too many times.

[This message has been edited by PaNik5717 (edited 08-20-2003).]

Old 08-20-2003, 05:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Dizziness, lightheadedness, feeling tired, and almost fainting all sound like symptoms of anemia and other nourishment problems, like blood sugar issues. If you were anemic before and haven't been taking the right vitamins (iron and/or folic acid and/or B-vitamins) your anemia could be much worse. That could be why you have more symptoms now than before.

Ask for a more thorough physical and look for self-help if you can't get into an actual treatment facility. There must be a few of helpful books on both nutrition and the feelings behind eating disorders. I live in a rural area and I know there aren't many counselors or groups here, but there are often groups for eating disorders and decent counselors in most places.

Thanks for trusting us with this issue. Come back to us if you can't find help from anyone else.

(Oh, and anemia can become a "serious" health issue. If your doc only recommends a multi-vitamin and still doesn't think you qualify for treatment, you might want to look for a second opinion.)

Nicole

Old 08-20-2003, 05:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
You do need to take your B vitamins among with the iron if you want to see any improvements.

Did anyone bother to detect the cause of the anemia? Just telling you to take iron does not solve the problem. It could be anything, from internal bleeding to hormonal disbalances to improper nutrition. So get a proper diagnose.

Old 08-20-2003, 06:06 PM   #7

unbroken HB User
The cause is from not eating actually... although I was never diagnosed with anorexia or bulimia so I got no treatment for it even though my doctor knew I had weight, food, and self image issues. She never even recommended anything so I figured it was ok. I see her on the 5th and then I'm going to tell her whats up and everything. I dunno. I didn't think those were side effects of anemia. I figured maybe hypoglacemia( spelling?) or something of that sort. ah well... i guess ill go on the 5th and write back on what she said. im just confused.

Old 08-21-2003, 05:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Sorry, I was a little vague about that last time. Your symptoms could be related to low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), anemia, other issues of malnutrition, or some other, equally serious, health problem. There is a post on the anemia section of healthboards with a really good description of anemia symptoms. You really do need a better evaluation and diagnosis of your problems to know for sure, though. If it is low blood sugar, I would think it wouldn't exactly be hypoglycemia which is when your body doesn't process sugars correctly, but general hunger. If you can teach yourself to eat right, you may not feel so bad anymore. I know that isn't easy to do yet, but I will be thinking about you and watching for updates.

You didn't tell us your age. If you are in school, are you strong enough to seek out a support group or an adult who can help you start one?

Old 08-23-2003, 12:05 PM   #9
Inactive

kimzi81 HB User
hi,
i can totally relate to all your symptoms. i get them too. i dont have anorexia or anything like that, but i dont eat much either due to dysphagia and this constant nausea that i experience. Ive checked my blood levels and my sugar and iron are fine. someone posted somewhere else that it could be a candida infection in your stomach. i have an appointment with a new doctor next week so i'll let you know what she has to say about it. a good way to get vitamins is by drinking a jamba juice smoothie. (i dont know if u have one where you life) but they pack in the vitamins and it tastes really good. anyway, just wanted to let you know you're not alone! i know what you're going through!

Old 08-24-2003, 10:15 AM   #10

Freddd HB User
Hi Unbroken,

EVERY symtom you list there is a symtom of vitamin methylB12 (the immediatly active coenzyme form of b12) deficiency including the anorexia and some kinds of anemia. Methylcobalamin sublingal tablets can be found at many storefront and online sellers. In our experience not all brands are equal. For those very sensitive, such as myself, there can be very large brand differences. So far of 3 brands tried 2 work well and one allowed the return of my symtoms. I have suffered from this all my life from before age 2 onwards. Cyanocobalamin, the most common form of the vitamin doesn't work fopr a lot of people because their body eith can't absorb it or can't convert it to methylcobalamin. Good luck.

Old 08-24-2003, 06:10 PM   #11
Inactive

mlgable HB User
If your doc never told you how much iron to take and never gave you a prescription for iron tablets I would consider seeing someone else. Iron is given in specific amounts and you need to have you blood checked every so often to see if the iron is working to take care of your anemia. If the blood work indicates it is not helping as much as it should the doc will increase your dosage or in severe cases or a blood transfusion. Get to the doc and get some lab work done to find out what is going on and make sure the doc tells you HOW MUCH iron to take, how often to take it and when he wants to recheck your blood to see if it is effective.

Old 08-24-2003, 06:36 PM   #12

mom2girlandboy HB User
I had those exact symptoms a few years back. I went to the doctor expecting a low blood sugar diagnosis but ended up having mono. Make sure they test for this.
TTC #3 since 8/03
missed miscarriage 10/03

Old 08-24-2003, 07:11 PM   #13

unbroken HB User
Well, I'm going to my doctors on the 5th of September and I plan on asking her about all this witht he advice of all you here. Thanks so much and i'll be sure to update this.

To the last person that responded, I don't have mono because my ex-bf had mono and it wasn't a pretty site and since I have had these symptoms for months (some for over a year) I don't think I have mono.

Old 08-24-2003, 09:30 PM   #14

Tax HB User
Do you eat enough of the right foods? It happens to me to but then I just added some salt to my diet and then I am coping again... Go see you doctor....

Ever hear of: Cut your own nose and spite your face...be carefull....Don't play with your body..you got only one! Respect it and listen to it!

Closed Thread