It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2003, 11:22 PM   #1

brelee75 HB User
Question something stuck in my throat

i am 27 years old and for the last three days i have had the feeling that something is in my throat. i have heartburn and a little bit of reflux, but not often. could that have anything to do with it. i was thinking about going to the emergency room but don't want to look stupid. what is it and what should i do?

------------------
sabrina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2003, 12:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Interesting, do you have any other symptoms? sometimes thyroid swelling can cause a feeling of a knot in the throat, also a hiatal(SP?) hernia can cause you to feel like food is getting stuck and not going down.
If it contiues or gets worse I would definatly see a doc about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2003, 12:42 PM   #3
(female)

dugams HB User
Hiya,

I have a hiatal hernia and that can definitely make you feel like you have something stuck in your throat. It will also cause you acids reflux and it might be hard for you to swallow things. Have you been checked for hiatal hernia? Hannah

------------------
Dream is like a river, ever changing as it flows. And the dreamer's just a vessel that must follow where it goes.

Old 07-10-2003, 12:46 PM   #4

brelee75 HB User
Question

hi
no i have not been checked for a hernia but i have heartburn alot. the feeling is right behind my tongue. lke i would beable to reach it but i can't.

Old 07-10-2003, 01:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Hi-
Acid reflux or heartburn can cause this sensation, when there really is no true obstruction. The sensation is called "globus"... Acid reflux causes intermittent dysfunction of the contractions of esophagus, hence the sensation you desrcibe.

Symptoms tend to get amplified if there are psychiatric issues like depression, anxiety or panic disorder.†

Globus is different from dysphagia (real obstruction or difficulty swallowing) Globus patients describe a feeling of constant lump or tightness, choking or strangling of throat which tends to clear up temporarily when eating solid food or large amount of liquids.†Does this sound like you?

Unless you are having true swallowing problems, where food actually gets stuck when you swallow, it doesn't sound like you should be too worried.

If it continues, check it out with your doc, just to rule out hiatal hernia et al....if only for your peace of mind!

zuzu xxxx

[This message has been edited by zuzu8 (edited 07-13-2003).]

Old 07-10-2003, 04:38 PM   #6

brelee75 HB User
thank you very much. cause that is exactly how it feels. i feel so much better know this.

Old 07-13-2003, 01:47 PM   #7

Donna lynn HB User
I too had very similar symptoms. When I finally went to an ENT, he found that I had an enlarged lingual tonsil. This is usually caused from acid reflux disease. Lingual tonsils are located on the back of your tongue. (Totally different from regular tonsils that you commonly think of)

Old 08-31-2003, 02:35 PM   #8

prostator HB User
Okay, I was diagnosed with hiatal hernia and my doctor said not to worry about it because it causes no symptoms. But I often have globus sensations or the feeling that something is stuck in my throat and chest. So what is the truth? Does hiatal hernia cause symptoms or no? Maybe for some people but not for others? Do they ever correct this type of hernia? My doctor seemed to think it was of no consequence. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2003, 08:07 PM   #9

brelee75 HB User
Unhappy

my mother in law has one too, and they say it is correctable. as for me i also have gallstones that are causing my problems. and have to hbave my gallbladder removed.

------------------
sabrina

Old 09-01-2003, 07:02 AM   #10

u960504 HB User
hey..I know all these replys are good, but my sister had the same symptoms..she went to the doctor, and it was her thyroid..she said every time she swollowed, it was like something there..in fact, the feeling kept making her swallow..have it checked, doesn't take much, just a blood test...thanks..Sandee

Old 09-03-2003, 05:42 AM   #11

rabbu1234 HB User
i had throat infection for las few days. went to doc and after taking antibiotic i got well. but last few days i'm having the same problem. it feels like cough stuck in my throat. i tried to through it up and soallow it down but could not do it... i do not have any other problem. it's really anoying. if you guys know please let me know what should i do..

Closed Thread