It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2003, 08:43 AM   #1

AUadamsfly HB User
Angry Please help!

I am 25 years old. I have been complaining of food sticking in the bottom of my throat since last week. I went to the doctor back around the 1st of November for chest pains. I had a barium swallow done and he told me that he saw some GERD. I was put on aciphex at first but that didn't seem to do the job. On November 18th, he switched me to protonix. He helped a little better. The chest pains went away. About a week or so ago, after I would eat about an hour or so, I could belch and feel food was still in the bottom of my throat. Since thanksgiving I have been having mild headaches everyday. I have read on dysphagia and I can't tell if it is oropharyngeal or esophageal. I am scared with the headaches and if it is oropharyngeal, that it might be a brain tumor.
I am scheduled to get an upper endoscopy Friday. I have been under a lot of stress and anxiety from the chest pains I had thinking I had a heart problem. I have lost about 20-25 lbs since Oct 26th.
Are there any other causes of oropharyngeal dysphagia in young people?
How can you tell if it is oropharyngeal or esophageal?

Thanks and God Bless.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2003, 12:53 PM   #2

AUadamsfly HB User
Re: Please help!

Anyone know how to tell the difference?

Last edited by moderator4; 12-11-2003 at 11:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2003, 01:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

Here's a good article that may help

[url]http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com/articles/senior_living/dysphagia_10/[/url]

With your age and description, your case sounds more esophageal and could be due to a web or ring problem.

Last edited by actudan; 12-11-2003 at 01:46 PM.

Old 12-11-2003, 02:35 PM   #4

AUadamsfly HB User

I appreciate the reply. I read that article as well as every other one on the internet I think
I just cant tell where exactly the UES is located at on my neck. I am just really worried with these headaches. I am hoping they are anxiety related but I have never had anxiety like this before. It is driving me insane.

God Bless

Last edited by moderator4; 12-11-2003 at 11:06 PM.

Closed Thread