It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2004, 05:01 AM   #1

vader1000 HB User
reflux - now getting neck irritation including tingling

i've had reflux for some years now (6 or 7 years now). i'm 28 now. taking prilosec most of that time, including now. i'm going to the gastro doc before too long, but he has a huge waiting list (2 months). he must be real good to have that kind of wait.

now i'm getting more throat irritations than usual, however because of diet changes, and close attention to all other eating situations, i'm feeling much better overall. i chew my food better, take some vitamins, take some herbs known for helping reflux and probiotics/digestive enzymes. what i've been seeing lately (started even before i began really watching how i eat) is that i'm having really annoying throat problems. i've always had the occasional sore throat or feeling of lump in throat. now i'm getting tingling of the throat. i notice it if i'm just sitting here even if i'm not doing anything. it SEEMS like it's on the outside of my throat, not necessarily on the inside, however when i swallow, it's really annoying. same sort of feeling, just enhanced. i wouldn't say, however, that i have problems swallowing. my food seems to go down just fine, so i'm guessing strictures is not an issue. also, whether i drink a cup of water or eat a steak, the feeling is the same. it just seems like the muscles in the throat are moving around, causing more irritation.

any ideas? i sometimes have what appears to me like a rash, but my pcp checked it out and said it definitely was NOT a rash. he had a name for it, but the redness was due to blood going to the skin. when he put his hand against it and removed it, it went from white back to pink. he said it was a blood issue. he really didn't know the root cause but didn't seem to think it was a real big deal.

i do believe i was having the tingling problem that wasn't enhanced when swallowing. now when i swallow it seems to encourage the sensation. i can't really pinpoint the area. it's just in the throat/adam's apple area.

no pain at all, just annoying. i'm also finding myself wanting to swallow all the time, even when my mouth is dry. more like an impulsive thing, but when i do, the feeling is strange in my throat, just like when i eat food, which again makes me think it has nothing to do with food going down, rather the muscles moving around.

thanks for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2004, 12:11 AM   #2

morose_symphony HB User
Re: reflux - now getting neck irritation including tingling

Vader,
I have had similar symptoms since early November. It felt like I was going to choke whenever I ate something.. a sore throat that killed. Inflammation. And, pretty severe dysphagia. And, chest pain. I'm still undiagnosed, but take 40mg of Nexium a day in the morning. Have an appointment to see a gastro in mid February.

I would ask your doctor about performing a videofluoroscopy, which shows the an xray of the swallowing process. A very simple procedure where you simply eat foods dipped into barium, or drink soda with barrium in it. You're usually asked to bring foods that bother you and they often have foods to give you, too. It's performed by a speech pathologist and an xray technician. They record your symptoms and looks at the structure of your swallowing process. Takes less than fifteen minutes to do. They'll discuss diagnosis after the test and talk about helpful swallowing techniques. In my case, there was nothing wrong with my swallowing process - just lots of reflux and muscle contractions in my stomach pushing the acid up.

As for your "rash"...I'd also discuss Scleroderma with your gastro. Ask him about the chances of having it. The blood issue could be Raynaud's..which is very prominent in Scleroderma. Scleroderma also causes GI problems like reflux and IBS. I've had a rash on my knuckles.. kind of flaky and very dry - but not itchy and my fingers get red very easily. If your fingers are turning purple, put kitchen sink gloves on, and turn the water on warm and run your hands under the water to get the circulation moving again.

Anyway, I hope I didn't scare you with the Scleroderma.. but, it would be best to at least mention it and see what he thinks. I've done lots of research on this stuff lately, but I'm by no means a medical professional. Just know lots of jargin.

Best of luck,
Haileigh

Closed Thread