It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2004, 03:07 AM   #1
(male)

jonp HB User
dysphagia?

Hi,

over the past 2 weeks ive developed a pain just below my sternum, a bit to the left hand side - where the top left abdominal muscle is. Somedays the pain can come and go throughout the day, other days its not there. It always hurts when i swallow food or drink though. Ive been to my GP, who gave me some tablets as he thought it might be acid causing the problem. He told me to take them for a week to see how i felt. They calmed the pain down a little, but not a lot. Anyway a week later i went back for blood test, as they said it could be some kind of bacterial infection that can be treated with anti-bitotics. Anyway i am waiting for the results, but if the tests come back clear what else could be causing this pain, and is it serious?

Regards

jonathan

Old 08-24-2004, 06:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile Re: dysphagia?

Hi there - so many different things could be causing your problem - strictures of the esophagus, GERD, and trapped gas to name just a few. Maybe you should consider having endoscopy done to look at the esophagus and an upper GI to measure how well liquids travel through the esophagus to the stomach. Although invasive, esophageal manometry will determine if the contractions/waves of the esophagus are synchronized when you swallow.

You would be sedated for endoscopy, but for the other tests you must be fully alert, even though they are not the most fun to go through. But what test is?

Good luck to you,
Katie G

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread