It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2005, 01:15 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hope25 HB User
Choking On Food

For the past couple months, I don't know why but I find myself choking on my food, more so having the food lodged in my throat. I don't know why this is happening. I'm a very slow eater in the first place, but it has come to the point where I'm starting to develop a fear when I sit down to eat.

I chew my food, but I think at times some food just slips away, and that's what get lodged in my throat. The feeling of not breathing is so scary, at times I feel this is how I'll die....I don't know why this has happened to me.

Any suggestions how to deal with it? Should I do mouth exercises? Chew more gum? How should I deal with this? I don't understand how some of the food just slips away like this. Can your mouth ever get too loose to control? I know this sounds very strange, and I feel very embarassed to talk about.

I don't eat huge bites either. And I think the fear is more obvious when I'm eating alone. How should I deal with this? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
(female)

loopyturtle HB User
Re: Choking On Food

Hi Hope,

Have you ever heard of dysphagia? Sounds like this condition might fit with what you're describing.

This site has some info and could get you started on a direction to help if this is what you are experiencing.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/dysphagia.html

Good luck,

--Loopy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hope25 HB User

Thank you so much. Would you happen to know some exercises I could do?

Old 02-05-2005, 07:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

do you have large tonsils???...if so, you might have a condition called "cryptic tonsillitis". I was born with large tonsils..which were never a problem...until I was 31. All of a sudden I started choking very easily....on drinks, food, even my own saliva. I didnt think a lot about it until I nearly choked to death on a hamburger...which scared me enough to go to an ENT. He suggested having the tonsils removed...to make a long story short...when the tonsils were removed, the ENT said that they were so full of infection and puss that they were swelling, leaving little room for anything to go down. I had no symptoms of infection, but he said that had I let it go much longer, I would have gotten a severe sore throat from the infection, which would have been extremely hard to get rid of.

Old 02-06-2005, 06:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i just wanted to mention to you to make sure the people around you know how to do the heimlich manuver just incase you get a choking episode that you cannot relieve yourself.Also, you CAN perform the manuver on yourself by a sudden thrust of the diaphram into the top of a sturdy chair(like a diningroom chair with a high top?)Just a suggestion.Sorry I don't have any answers on your choking problem.Marcia

Old 02-06-2005, 11:53 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Hope25 HB User

Thanks guys. Yes I'm aware about doing the heimlich manuver on myself but during those seconds it's so hard to even think about anything else but finding a way to breathe!!

I think I just have a "weak" tongue. I finding myself gagging sometimes even when I try brushing my tongue! I found some exercises on the internet that I will practice every day. I don't have any throat problem.

Maybe the weak tongue is what's making me a slow eater? I don't know. But I will start on those exercises right away, and keep small bites of food in my mouth - even if it takes me an hour to eat!

Last edited by Hope25; 02-06-2005 at 11:54 AM.

Old 02-06-2005, 01:34 PM   #7

kiki lou HB User

You have pre-esophageal dysphagia. You need to see a doctor ASAP as you will likely need testing for a variety of neuromuscular conditions. I have myasthenia gravis and what you are describing was my first symptoms. Exercises are neither indicated, nor effective for this problem.

Kiki

Old 02-07-2005, 09:45 PM   #8
(female)

loopyturtle HB User

Hope,

Glad you found some info. I don't know that much about dysphagia itself, just knew the definition from somewhere (dark recesses of the mind). But I do second the recommendation to consult with a doctor.

Good luck, and let us know how things go.

Loopy

Old 02-08-2005, 06:55 AM   #9

fibrostinks HB User

Hi there.

I think you should:
1) See an ENT and he can do some tests to check for dysphagia or even LPR
2) If this isnt the case, do you have any issues with anxiety?

I have suffered from this same thing for 15 years! I eat so slow, [people laugh at me. But to me, its better than choking! I think mine is part anxiety ( i became so focused and oversensitive to throat sensations) and having recently been diagnosed with LPR, I think that after all this time, it may be a contributor to these symptoms.

Do you have any other symptoms? sensation of lump in throat? phlegm or post nasal drip? sore throat? throat clearing?

Good luck!

Closed Thread