It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
(male)

Waynoiam HB User
Can't Swallow!!

I am 26yrs old and I am having trouble swallowing. It started a few weeks ago when I was eating a sandwich started to chew and i just could not swallow it. Almost as if I was choking on it. Lost 7lbs in so far because all I am eating is pudding and ice cream. This is the only thing I can actually swallow.

GI Dr did an EGD and biopsy came back as acid reflux. Also went to my ENT since I haven't been eating she scoped my throat and said it is very red. Said must be acid reflux. I am on nexium 2x a day and Zantac.

It is going on 2 weeks of the pills and I still can't swallow food. Anyone have this problem or heard of this??

Thanks
Wayne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2005, 06:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User
Re: Can't Swallow!!

It's called dysphagia and it's common with reflux. I would give the meds more time to kick in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2005, 07:49 AM   #3
(male)

GhostAston HB User

When that happens, try clearing your throat and then swallowing. It works for me everytime.

Old 03-24-2005, 11:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

How are you getting on Waynoiam?

Old 03-24-2005, 04:55 PM   #5
(male)

Waynoiam HB User

I am a little better then I was. I can eat things now just have to take little bites. It is still hard to swallow and I have to wash each bite down with some fluid. Just been eating mac and cheese and had a hamburger on a plate. Neither are easy to swallow.. Very frustrating still... I can't take much more.

Wayne

Old 03-24-2005, 08:55 PM   #6
(male)

fullstride HB User

I have the same feeling in my throat, it constantly feels like something is stuck but the worst is when i eat it feels like when u take too big of a bite and swallow without chewing, goes down slow and is a little uncomfortable. I am on zantac 150mgs and hoping it will supress the acid so my espohgaus can heal. Id say just give it time for your throat to get better. Best Wishes

Old 03-25-2005, 04:33 PM   #7
(female)

tinker89 HB User

Hi,
I know what you are going through. For me it started in 2001 and the acid reflux medication helped a lot.
Well, in my case it was a little different as I was treated for panic attacks for 3 months, I could not eat anything and lost ~30lbs. In your case they found it early so the acid reduction medication should help you. I think it takes weeks to heal your esophagus. Try and eat small meals and nothing for about 3 hours before you go to bed. Also, you could try ensure, it helped me gain some lbs back.
Do you also have chest pains? I was told those could be related to esophageal spasms, which can also give you some problems swallowing.
I hope the medication works for you and you will feel better soon.
Good Luck!

Old 03-31-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
(male)

Waynoiam HB User

Just had a video swallow done and they are saying now I have a weak swallow and the is the reason I can't swallow food. But they have no reasoning behind it. Unknown if acid reflux can cause this. Anyone have a video swallow study?? results???

Closed Thread