It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 07:59 AM   #1
(female)

Kathim HB User
Food Gets Stuck going down !!!!!!!

Hello and am wondering if anyone else has this awful scary problem.

First of all I had LAp Gallbladder surgery in 1997.

ABout 2 years ago I started developing my food getting stuck. I chew and swallow fine and it goes down esophagus fine but it seems when it is at the end of esophagus and getting ready to dump into stomach it sticks and hurts so bad and it feels like I am not going to get it to pass thru.

Could this be scar tissue ?????

I have had a barium swallow (Fine)
I had an endoscopic and stretch even tho it looked fine.

Kathi

Old 03-28-2005, 09:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Food Gets Stuck going down !!!!!!!

It can be scary-- You could try taking a homeopathic remedy ---Magnesia Phos to relax the esophagus muscles-- It helps me and my wife that have similar problems.

You can buy it at a health food store and use it as needed...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2005, 06:39 PM   #3

Jenn4USA HB User

Harry's advice sounds great! For me though I had surgery for acid reflux and then a redo and yet a 3rd surgery because the opening to my stomach was to tight from the first two surgeries, I had the stretching and I got temp relief from that but had to do it quite often, I ended up at the Cleveland Clinic and my Doc there found there to be a lot of scare tissue causing my problem as far as the tightness and food getting stuck. I would try Harry's method first, if that doesn't work follow up with a GI Doc. Because my problems were very extensive and on going not to mention extreme I ended up having my esophagus removed because there was so much scar tissue my esophagus just gave up. Keep in mind my case is very rare and I certainly don't think you will have to go to that extreme, but I do know scar tissue can cause you problems! A cardio thoracic surgeon may be a route to take to have that scar tissue removed. My GI Doc was very helpful in getting me taken care of so talk to your Doc! Good luck to you, I hope I didn't scare you with what happened to me, remember in my case I was the 1 in a million
!

GOOD LUCK,
JENN

PS. I also had endoscopy and everything appeared fine until my surgeon discovered the problem!

Last edited by Jenn4USA; 03-29-2005 at 06:40 PM.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:56 AM   #4
(female)

Kathim HB User

Jenn.......Thank you for answering my post even though it did scare me !!

I am convinced my problem is scar tissue also from where the original surgery was done for the LAp gallbladder as it is in the same area. Plus I have had all the tests done and everything seems fine.(Nothing shows) The GI Dr was not much help at all other than an Endo and stretch that probably wasnt needed and he said he didnt see anything which really made me mad as to why he did the stretch then. (I am sure to bill out the 7 grand it cost)

I am not anxious to proceed any further I guess until it gets so bad I can not eat at all. I just dont trust any Drs locally where I live and for that matter dont trust the GI Dr where I went so am in a quandry as what to do.

Do you have a feeding tube now that the esophagus is removed??

I am sorry for your troubles but you sound as though you are handling it very well.

I hope to hear a reply from you again.

Kathi

Old 03-30-2005, 12:33 PM   #5

vadonka HB User

Im a nursing student and we just finished talking about gastric disorders and your's sounds similiar to one in my notes....see if this helps and maybe talk to your doctor about it.

Achalasia
Definition- a failure to relax, in this instance, the lower esophageal sphincter, restricts passage of food to the stomach.
Symptoms
1. dysphagia
2. chest pain
3. regurgitation of food
4. symptoms are worsened with
a. emotional distress
b. spicy foods
c. eating in a hurry
Interventions
1. eat small frequent meals
2. eat soft foods
3. chew slowly
4. increase fluid intake with meals

Old 03-30-2005, 07:03 PM   #6

Jenn4USA HB User

Kathi,

I am so sorry to have scared you! They did say that I have disphagia, which was caused because of so much scar tissue around my stomach area. As far as the feeding tube question; I had a feeding tube put in when they initally removed my esophagus, I was on the feeding tube for about 7 weeks, then it was removed. For the first 4 weeks I had no liquids or solids by mouth all my nutrients were from the feeding tube, then into the 4th week they started introducing me to liquids, and then slowly worked to soft foods, and then as I could handle it more substantial foods, they go off of a chart that tells you how many ounces on what day and how often. Then the tube was completely removed and I eat still to this day 6 small meals a day. Because my stomach is now located directly under my throat I am very careful about eating to quickly or to much. REMEMBER: My case is the one in a million and certainly the one that is the exception to the rule! In the event that it would ever get to that point for you go to a Cardiothoracic Surgeon they are experts in this field, especially for esophagectomy. Usually people that have there esophagus removed have had cancer, that by no means was my situation and time and time again they were surprised that being in my late 20's when I first had problems that I had to have this surgery! But at age 32 it was my last resort things were to far gone for me.

I certainly understand what you are saying that you don't trust the Doc's I felt like no one would listen to me, the surgeon that did the first 3 surgeries never listened to me, but my GI Doc did and sent me to an expert at the Cleveland Clinic and in one visit they new what needed to be done, it was like FINALLY someone listened to me.

It has been a very difficult road, ups and downs feeling like it will never end, I try to stay positive, but believe me there are days when I am not. Even after my esophagus was removed I have to go get dialated (stretched) about every 6-8 weeks, going next week as a matter of fact!

Please don't wait like I did until you can't eat, I was 5'7, and 93lbs because I was to stubourn to go get the care I needed. If your GI Doc won't listen find another one. Or if you have a University Hospital you can go to I highly recommend that. They learn so much about digestive disorders everday!

MUCH LUCK TO YOU, I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU,
JENN

Old 03-31-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
(female)

Kathim HB User

Oh Dear Jenn.....
What a story you have and so brave!!! The Gi Dr who I went to did say "dysphagia" also but I really dont feel I have it. I dont have acid reflux or any of that. PLus he didnt see anything conclusive.
I still believe scar tissue has formed where that gallbladder surgery done the lap way was entered right by my stomach and end of esophagusI suppose.

The sad part to this story is I went to a University Hospitol here in S. Cal (Loma Linda) primarily a childrens hospitol to this GI DR. He had done a previous endo on me prior to the gallbladder surgery (the surgeon required it) and so I felt comfortable with him so when I was encountering this problem over a year or so ago I felt comfortable with him but did not have a good experience.

I just refuse to go back there to him and this is making my whole situation even worse.
Plus I have Lupus also.( i feel like I was just a cow in the herd of cattle)
I will eat something just fine and swallow and when it goes to dump into the stomach or at the end of esophagus it wont pass easily and the pain is so bad and my husband says here drink water but he doesnt understand that anything on top of what wont already go down makes it worse. Then if I try and sit up real straight and stretch the abdominal area it will finally pass. The past few months and it is getting continually worse I have a dull ache/pain feeling in that area. SOmetimes worse than others.
There are so many things I want to ask you so I hope you dont mind. (I wish we could exchange emails or ???)
DO u really get stretched every 6-8 weeks.......??? I mean put to sleep and all??? How long will that have to be??? What do they stretch at this point???? How long ago did u have the surgery and all???
Did u have prior medical problems to this or were you healthy??? Was your first surgery due to Haitial hernia or ????
WHere do you live??? EVidently the midwest ???
I live in Southern California ....Palm Desert and am married...49yrs old.

This has nothing to do with yours or my problem but I ahve a old class mate who I am in contact with and she had a hysterectomy about 5-6 years ago and she has a scar tissue problem from it and has 3 emergency surgerys due to it as it is effecting the colon etc. I am wondering if some people just grow scar tissue more than others???? Did your Dr ever say that ????

I am sorry for allt he ???? but I feel this is the only way to help myself is to network and seek.

Looking forward to hearing again

Kathi

Old 04-02-2005, 09:11 PM   #8

Jenn4USA HB User

Jenn,

Message deleted --- No exchange of email addresses are allowed on Healthboards

Please read Posting Rules

Moderator4

Last edited by moderator4; 04-02-2005 at 10:03 PM.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:58 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

bellison HB User

Hi there,

I had this problem for over 10 years of my life. I ate so much slower than everyone else and my friends used to joke about my eating speed. This was becuase if I ate quick I would choke, like what happens to you. However the Dr gave me some PPI's to take and after 3-4 months i can eat better than I ever could. My esphagus was badly irratated as an endoscope showed. I was sure my esophagus was messed up beyone compare as the pain is like a massive cramp in your thorat that gave me a lot of anxiety until it passed. You should try the PPI's. I took Protonix 40mg and I am still taking them 8 months later.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:03 PM   #10
(male)

NPetruzzi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellison
Hi there,

I had this problem for over 10 years of my life. I ate so much slower than everyone else and my friends used to joke about my eating speed. This was becuase if I ate quick I would choke, like what happens to you. However the Dr gave me some PPI's to take and after 3-4 months i can eat better than I ever could. My esphagus was badly irratated as an endoscope showed. I was sure my esophagus was messed up beyone compare as the pain is like a massive cramp in your thorat that gave me a lot of anxiety until it passed. You should try the PPI's. I took Protonix 40mg and I am still taking them 8 months later.
Bellison,

Did you experience any sore throat symptoms?? I had a fundoplication done 2 weeks ago because my reflux was so bad it was irritating my throat... I've yet to experience any relief in the throat region, but i'm recovering well from the surgery.

I'm just curious if sore throats can actually heal with acid suppression and the amount of time it took, if so?

Thanks!!
Nick

Old 08-15-2005, 05:40 PM   #11
(female)

silver515 HB User

I posted this on the digestive disorder board...someone with pretty much the same problem...read...

HI! I have had the same symptons and antacids just stopped helping. I went to a gastro dr and he said I had an inflammed esophagus. I had to go for a colonoscopy and endoscopy. He put me on protonix which really helps. I hardly ever get heartburn anymore and the food stuck in the throat thing only happens once in awhile. She really should have this checked since it can be helped.

Old 08-18-2005, 06:06 PM   #12
(female)

Phyllikay HB User
Smile Re: Food Gets Stuck going down !!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathim

Hello and am wondering if anyone else has this awful scary problem.

First of all I had LAp Gallbladder surgery in 1997.

ABout 2 years ago I started developing my food getting stuck. I chew and swallow fine and it goes down esophagus fine but it seems when it is at the end of esophagus and getting ready to dump into stomach it sticks and hurts so bad and it feels like I am not going to get it to pass thru.

Could this be scar tissue ?????

I have had a barium swallow (Fine)
I had an endoscopic and stretch even tho it looked fine.

Kathi

Hi I have a esophogeal stricture which only causes me problems when it is inflamed now. Therefore it doesn't show up as a problem on the barium swallow anymore. It feels just like what you are describing. I have found sipping a little aloevera in juice daily helps a lot and that keeping any heart burn under control is a serious must. Hop that is helpfull

Old 08-21-2005, 12:17 PM   #13
(female)

EosLady HB User
Exclamation Re: Food Gets Stuck going down !!!!!!!

I have a suggestion for most of you who have posted in this thread..

Your symptoms are also very similar to Eosinophilic Esophagitis.. This disease is growing in numbers in the last few years, and many doctors just are not aware of it.. Diagnosis is fairly simple... Biopsies taken when they do scopes.. If the eosinophils are in the tissue at the upper end of the esophagus then likely the diagnosis is EE...

EE results in several problems.. One of these is food getting stuck.. In fact many people are diagnosed because they have had to make ER visits to have food removed...
Build up of scar tissue is another manifestation..
Horrible chest pains that feel like a heart attack and have taken many people to the ER.
Folds and furrows in the Esophagus..

Many people do have problems for EE not being diagnosied and a lot of GI's do try doing dialations.. Dialations are not the safest thing for those with EE, because the esophageal tissue is not normal, and excess bleeding, perforation, or more scar tissue can result from dilations...

Biopsies are so important, because the esophagus can look totally normal visually, but be infiltratated with eosinophils causing damage as they break down..

Eosinophils are a normal cell in the body. The are one of the white blood cells. They are normal in small amounts in the stomach and intestines, but not normal in any number in the Esophagus..

Check out APFED.org for more detailed info... Unfortunately there are not a lot of GI's treating Adults with this problem, but Cincinnatti Childrens Hospital has a clinic and is doing a lot of research.. They have a great FACs page that can answer a lot of questions..

I hope you find some answers.. If your answer is EE, there are some simple treatments out there that can help you. Also some great support groups specific to this disease...

Eos Lady

Old 10-26-2006, 01:33 PM   #14
(female)

De Yone HB User

Kathim:

I, also, had a lap with my gallbladder removal in April 2005. The day I came home, I immediately felt a burning in my midback. I called the Dr who did my surgery and he put me on anti-reflux meds. They did nothing to help. I have had every procedure done to see why I have such pain when my food gets to the bottom of my esophogas/top of stomach. Since it's been a year-and-a-half, the pain now has also settled into my back because every time I swallow it just agitates that area too. Have you found any remedy. I read about Magnesia Phos. It says it will calm the esophogas, and many other things. I hope you can let me know what you have done since you posted your writing here on Healthboard.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-26-2006 at 08:12 PM.

Closed Thread