It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2005, 06:36 AM   #1
(female)

unsureat22 HB User
dysphagia for over 2 weeks?

Hi- about two weeks ago I started having real trouble swallowing, but no throat pain. I assumed I was getting sick. The trouble swallowing persisted for about two weeks and then I popped into the local clinic and saw a nurse. She said my throat was red but therre was no problem. The thing is, though, I don't have a problem with the back of my throat, it feels to be about half way down my esophagus. What could cause dysphagia like this in a non smoking 22 year old? Some people have suggested anxiety (I get panic attacks) but this has been constant and I don't feel anxious. It's just harder than normal to swallow and I feel apprehensive swallowing solids.

Can anyone tell me what the more common causes of dysphagia in young people are and what sorts of test/s I am likely to have to get down if this persists?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2005, 11:44 AM   #2
(male)

vs1988 HB User
Re: dysphagia for over 2 weeks?

Hey

I've been getting this too, for about 3 weeks now. I'm currently on Prevacid for "gastritis" according to the doctor, but I'm thinking its GERD.

Mine feels like the food is really slow going down. Is this the same feeling you have?

I'm only 16 by the way.

VS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 02:33 PM   #3
(female)

runnergirl HB User

see a speech pathologist - sounds like you need a modified barium swallow study to evaluate the degree of dysphagia and which texture you should be eating for safe swallowing and to prevent aspiration

Last edited by runnergirl; 04-04-2005 at 02:34 PM.

Old 04-04-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User

As a certified speech-language pathologist, I agree with runnergirl. Get a modified barium swallow which can detect problems in the mouth, and upper esophagus for liquid and solid food swallows.

Also, do a websearch on the term "globus hystericus" and "hypopharyngeal syndrome" and see if the symptoms fit your complaints. These types of disorders are often seen in younger people who may complain of difficulty swallowing with no medical reason for swallowing difficulty.

Good luck to you,
Katie G

Old 04-06-2005, 01:51 PM   #5
(female)

unsureat22 HB User

globus hystericus doesn't really feel like it because I have trouble with my sinuses lately too. I went back to the clinic. They think it's some sort of virus. Said come back if I still have it in a week... I have ulcerative colitis, too, and it's acting up lately. Who knows? Last few days my arms and legs (th emuscles) have been aching. Maybe it is a virus. Who knows though?

I'll update when I know anything new. Thank you.

Closed Thread