It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2005, 07:29 PM   #1
(female)

Dazee2100 HB User
dysphagia?

I think I spelled that right.

Went to neuro today, I almost choked to death saturday. This is nothing new, but definately the worst attack.

So I see a gastro doc just to make sure there is nothing else going on besides the MS.

Anyone else have swallowing problems? could you describe it?

I am a big girl...and dang it...if I can't eat......what will I do??!!!???!

~lol~

Dazee2100

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User
Re: dysphagia?

Yes! My daughter has been choking 4-5 times per week. She is currently in an exacerbation and she has had this before during a previous exacerbation. It doesn't happen in between, so we're not concerned about another possible cause at this time.

However, choking can lead to 'rings' in the esophagus which in turn can cause more choking, so it's a good idea to see a GI doc. She'll be seeing one next month at Mayo.

I hope you get over this!

Take care,
Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
(female)

Dazee2100 HB User

ok..when it happens to me...it's like food gets stuck in my chest area. It causes pain in my chest and down both arms...and the food won't go anywhere! ...eventually it will go down...or i have had to make myself throw up to get the food out. Sat. had to resort to the hemlich manuever.

Then afterwards my voice is stratchy and I had a bad cough.

anyone had these problems?

Dazee2100

Old 04-20-2005, 09:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

i have had a problem with this as well. i'll start to swallow and it will catch in my throat and then i'll swallow again and then the food will go down my throat very slowly and very painfully....

Old 04-20-2005, 11:25 AM   #5
Inactive

Sharalee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine149
i have had a problem with this as well. i'll start to swallow and it will catch in my throat and then i'll swallow again and then the food will go down my throat very slowly and very painfully....

Mine is pretty much how you describe it. But I also have trouble with water, and very often when nothing is in my mouth. Just trying to swallow like normal is difficult. It's like I "get stuck" and have to wait to be able to do it. Sometimes I panic, because I know I have nothing in there to swallow except saliva, yet you would think there was a golf ball in there.

I have not been officially dx-ed with MS, but I have nearly all the symptoms . When I was reading on drop foot and clonus, I really freaked. I have had that for at least 6-7 yrs. I just always thought it was normal. I was told many yrs ago, that "fat shakes, muscle doesn't", so I thought that was why. DUH. I have like no body fat. I had it checked and the person doing the test said I have the body fat of an Olympic athlete.

Sorry, to much about me.

I hate the swallowing thing. Makes me dread eating. I choke too.

My very best to everyone

SL

Old 04-20-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

My husband and son have serious esophagial swallowing problems which have landed them in the hospital on several occasions. (BTW, neither has MS.) Something I've learned through all of this is that it only takes 17 hours for a piece of food to burn through the semi-fragile walls of the esophagus. So if you think you have a piece of food stuck in your throat and it doesn't go down in a few hours, you need to go to the hospital so they can either retract it or push it down into your stomach.

Also, the longer the food sits in the esophagus, the more likely it is to form a ring around the wall of the esophagus at the point it's stuck, which will then cause other food to more likely to get stuck. I would think that having MS-caused swallowing problems along with a gradual build up of rings in the esophagus could potentially lead to serious trouble. I would definitely recommend anyone with swallowing problems to be seen by a GI periodically and have an endoscopy to check out what's going on.

Not trying to scare anyone - just sharing from our family's experience in the hopes that it will help someone. Sorry you're all having troubles with this.

Take care,
Julie

Old 04-21-2005, 10:56 AM   #7
(female)

Deb92204 HB User

Swallowing.... wow... I've had 'mild' problems eating... what I experience is I have to actually focus on swallowing and making sure it's tiny portions at a time.... it's ridiculous.... drinking anything hasn't been a problem... yet..... doesn't feel like your throat forgets how to do it's job?

Hugs to all!
Deb

Old 04-21-2005, 12:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

My mother had a stroke in 2003 and she had problems for a long time with this. Her speech therapist put her on thickened liquids and trained her to tuck her chin when swallowing (it closes the airway).

I had never associated this condition with MS before.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:50 PM   #9
(male)

Core HB User

Ive never had trouble with food ending up in the air way, but haveing food stuck or feeling stuck while swallowing is an all too familiar situation. It was a very scary thing the first few times. Unfortunatley/fortunatley as it bacame more frequent I became more able to control it. I too believed that I was quite the grown up and had mastered this whole eating on my own thing, so was unwilling to accept I just suddenly was doing it wrong (as people would occasionally point out as the most likely problem).

After Dx I just tossed it into the "that was probably just the MS" hindsight pile.

Closed Thread