It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 08:58 PM   #1
(female)

Dazee2100 HB User
Unhappy throat dilation????

Saw a gastro Doc today (on the referral of my Neuro) for the dysphagia. My Neuro wanted to make sure there are no structural problems with my throat ( I had a tumor removed years ago from my lower abdomen). Well low and behold...no structual problems....so the Gas Doc thinks. All my symptoms are from MS. So tomorrow I have another barium swallowing test..no biggie.

Then in 2 weeks I have my esophagus (sp) dialated. Basically they will do a scope to make sure there are no structural problems, and then insert plastic tubes to stretch my throat, until the Gas Doc thinks it is wide enough for me not choke anymore.

His prognosis: in the last 3 years the swallowing problems have become more severe. They are not intensely severe yet (i have only aspirated once and almost choked to death once ) however, they are going to get worse because of the MS and I will need a feeding tube inserted at some point. The area that is causing choking is lower than usually found in MS patients, which tells him the lesions is large to affect the region of nerves that it is, and that is going to progress maybe not fast, but steadily.

Today I hate life.

Today I hate MS.

Today I just want it all to go away and i want my freakin life back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Dazee2100

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User
Re: throat dilation????

Hi Dazee,
I'm so sorry! I wish you could have your life back, too.

My daughter sees her gastro tomorrow at the Mayo Clinic. She has also had choking problems, but not as extreme as yours.

Both my husband and my son have had their esophagus' dilated. It has helped them immensely. Hopefully you will get some good relief. My son is now using an inhaler thing right before he eats to coat his esphagus to make the food slide down easier. Maybe you could ask your doc about that. Sorry I don't know the name of the med - my son never told me what it is.

Take care,
Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
(female)

BRENDA12 HB User

Wow I'm So Sorry U Have To Go Through That.when I Had My 2 Month Attack Of Whatever,i Believe It To Be Ms,i Was Munching On Something And Then I Felt I Had Trouble To Breathe,and Then It Just Got Worse And Worse,my Husband Said I Turned Gray,but Just Before Passing Out I Threw Up,thank God,anyway It Frightened Me So Much,when I Think Of Having Another Attack And To Suffer With All The Symtoms I Had,this Is My Worse Fear.i Don't Know If This Is Anything You've Dealt With,but I Can Certainly Sympathize With U.
I Hope Things Turn Out For The Best,good Luck
Brenda

Old 05-19-2005, 10:29 PM   #4
(male)

just1primate HB User

Does this happen to everyone at some point or another?

Old 05-20-2005, 07:41 AM   #5
(female)

Moon Rising HB User

Hi , Last week I had a feeling like someone was lightly choking me, and after 3 days it was very irritating and getting worse and freaking me out. I called my Dr. and she said I was having an allergic reaction to something and prescribed me steroids for a week. The steroids worked but I have never had an allergic reaction to anything ,and I cant think of what it could be. I think it's the dam MS. I didnt eat or drink anything new or different to cause that. I didnt like that one bit. It's scarry when its hard to breathe. I kept thinking it was an MS hug but from reading on this board, but a ms hug dont last that long. Who knows, i'm so sick of being sick!! I go in on Monday to have a steroid epidural in my neck.Yeee Haaa. Good luck to us all!
--Moon

Closed Thread