It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2005, 08:24 PM   #1

Scarlet Knight HB User
Is occasional dysphagia okay?

Several months ago when I saw my doctor, and he asked about my symptoms, I told him that all I was having was occasional difficulty swallowing. 99% of the time everything went down fine. He said, in that case, it was nothing to worry too much about. I believe he said something like, "if you're washing every bite down with water, then there's definitely a problem." I wasn't anywhere near that point, so we agreed there was no need for a second endoscopy.

Based on what my doctor said, I assumed occasional dysphagia was just par for the course with this disease. That you would get it once in a while, but as long as it was infrequent, it didn't suggest something more serious going on in the esophagus. With this in mind, I continued my eating habits as they were. I would have trouble swallowing once in a while, but this happened whether I ate bad GERD foods (fatty foods, beer, etc.) or good GERD foods (turkey, fish, and so on). But it was always temporary and I assumed I wasn't risking any serious damage to my esophagus. In addition, I never had any heartburn pain to suggest there was any erosion in my esophagus.

What's your opinion on all of this? Is there such a thing as a "safe" amount of dysphagia, or is any at all a sign of serious trouble? Thanks all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2005, 05:41 AM   #2
(female)

RobynsInPain70 HB User
Re: Is occasional dysphagia okay?

In my own appointment I dont think any amount of disphagia is OK. This is how I started out.. I would have a bout here and there.. Well as of 4 months ago I now am on a very limited diet due to what I can swallow and everything I swallow has to be mashed up like a babys food...Does he have you on any kind of medication? If he's not addressing this problem sounds like you need a new doctor... Im not a doctor and this is just my personal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight
Several months ago when I saw my doctor, and he asked about my symptoms, I told him that all I was having was occasional difficulty swallowing. 99% of the time everything went down fine. He said, in that case, it was nothing to worry too much about. I believe he said something like, "if you're washing every bite down with water, then there's definitely a problem." I wasn't anywhere near that point, so we agreed there was no need for a second endoscopy.

Based on what my doctor said, I assumed occasional dysphagia was just par for the course with this disease. That you would get it once in a while, but as long as it was infrequent, it didn't suggest something more serious going on in the esophagus. With this in mind, I continued my eating habits as they were. I would have trouble swallowing once in a while, but this happened whether I ate bad GERD foods (fatty foods, beer, etc.) or good GERD foods (turkey, fish, and so on). But it was always temporary and I assumed I wasn't risking any serious damage to my esophagus. In addition, I never had any heartburn pain to suggest there was any erosion in my esophagus.

What's your opinion on all of this? Is there such a thing as a "safe" amount of dysphagia, or is any at all a sign of serious trouble? Thanks all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2005, 10:57 AM   #3

Scarlet Knight HB User

Hey Robyn,

Yes, my doctor does have me on medications. I have been on Prevacid for over two years and I am also on domperidone for delayed gastric emptying. Before I was on any of these medications, my endoscopy showed minor erosion. After taking Prevacid a follow up endoscopy showed that my esophagus had fully healed. My situation is that 99% of the time I swallow everything fine. I have assumed that in the abscence of heartburn, it is not possible that my esophagus is being damaged.

Your symptoms sound more serious. What has your doctor said? Have you been scoped? What medications are you on? It sounds like you might have an esophageal stricture.

Old 10-19-2005, 07:48 AM   #4
(female)

RobynsInPain70 HB User

Hi Scarlet,
Yes I was scoped in July and like you I figured I had a scricture of some kind and he said there was no stricture. As a matter of fact he noted on my report after the scope that the bottom of my esophagus was profoundly wider than normal. I learned later that a Hiatal hernia can do that. Which I also have. I also take 40 mgs once a day of Protonix. Allthough unfortunately it doesn't seem to be doing the job as Im still waking up with a sore burning throat. I also think I'm suffering from LPR as well...
Keep an eye on your swallowing issue I'd hate to see anyone end up like myself..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight
Hey Robyn,

Yes, my doctor does have me on medications. I have been on Prevacid for over two years and I am also on domperidone for delayed gastric emptying. Before I was on any of these medications, my endoscopy showed minor erosion. After taking Prevacid a follow up endoscopy showed that my esophagus had fully healed. My situation is that 99% of the time I swallow everything fine. I have assumed that in the abscence of heartburn, it is not possible that my esophagus is being damaged.

Your symptoms sound more serious. What has your doctor said? Have you been scoped? What medications are you on? It sounds like you might have an esophageal stricture.

Closed Thread