It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2003, 04:56 PM   #1

fish HB User
Post food stuck?

I am experiencing a feeling of food getting stuck in my throat on the right side,behind nose like in post nasal drip and in my chest and between my shoulder blades in upper back. Lotsa burping especially after I eat, and that relieves it for a bit. Occasional acid burping. Had exact same thing 18 years ago. Don't know why, but it went away after some time. Now, same thing exactly.

I had thymus erradiation as an infant 50 years ago. My thyroid is fine, but enlarged, more so on the right side. Have spastic colon without too much problem for quite a while. Somewhat lactose intolerant if I consume too much diary or too late at night--Lactaid helps usallly.

I want to avoid more x-rays--had thymus irradiation as an infant, and many gastrointestinal x-rays in my 20's.

[This message has been edited by fish (edited 07-13-2003).]

[This message has been edited by fish (edited 07-14-2003).]

[This message has been edited by fish (edited 08-02-2003).]

Old 07-13-2003, 08:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
fish,
It could be caused by GERD -- many people complain about swallowing foods but I have had the problem for about 25 years --- I just can't take pills without swallowing food with them or something like yogurt. So, that what I've been doing along time and I take alot of vitamins/minerals.

A thought --- Your system may lack calcium and magnesium that is needed to make many muscles work???

Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2003, 04:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Could be Gerd symptoms.

------------------

Old 08-02-2003, 09:21 AM   #4

fish HB User
Can't get in to see the doctor for a month. My allergist put me on Pepcid AC 40mg 2x day and Tums. I'm also taking zoloft and xanax for anxiety. The burping is better, but now I'm having gas pains. Is it possible that any of the meds have lactose in them? Still having upper back "spasms" sometimes when I eat, and problems when I take pills, but not all the time. I've cut out chocolate, coffee and soda. I should feel much better I thought! Suzyshop 1 and smccallrnc, please see back pain with gerd post by smccallrnc.
Fish

Old 08-04-2003, 08:03 AM   #5

fish HB User
Update from Fish,

Eating food better without much back spasm, but this feeling of pills getting stuck behind my nose I think, (not my throat),is annoying. I drink a whole glass of water with the pill. Have tried yogurt and applesauce and had same problem. Larger food doesn't even do the same thing! Why little pills? Anyone had this problem? I don't have any problem swallowing, and I feel the food go down fine for the most part. Any ideas? Fish

Old 08-04-2003, 09:58 PM   #6
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by fish:
I am experiencing a feeling of food getting stuck in my throat on the right side,behind nose like in post nasal drip and in my chest and between my shoulder blades in upper back. Lotsa burping especially after I eat, and that relieves it for a bit. Occasional acid burping. Had exact same thing 18 years ago. Don't know why, but it went away after some time. Now, same thing exactly.

I had thymus erradiation as an infant 50 years ago. My thyroid is fine, but enlarged, more so on the right side. Have spastic colon without too much problem for quite a while. Somewhat lactose intolerant if I consume too much diary or too late at night--Lactaid helps usallly.

I want to avoid more x-rays--had thymus irradiation as an infant, and many gastrointestinal x-rays in my 20's.
Do you have trouble with liquids at all when swallowing? If solid food is all you're having trouble with, there is probably some type of mechanical problem with your esophagus....I might've considered even something like "dry esophagus", but you said that you have trouble even when you are drinking water with the pills. You mentioned your thyroid is enlarged on one side, and that in combination with dysphagia (trouble swallowing) makes me a little uncomfortable just saying that it's GERD. I think you are experiencing GERD symptoms, but there is something else at work. It might be a good idea for you to at least get checked out because if you have something like a stricture in your esophagus (which is part of the differential diagnosis), it could get worse as time goes on.

I have another question....when you've been eating in the past few months, have you noticed that you feel full faster? Have you lost any weight? Any fever/chills/sweats?

Old 08-04-2003, 10:51 PM   #7

fish HB User
Thanks for the reply. I don't have trouble swallowing liquid or solid food. It just feels like something gets caught behind my nose like a bubble??. I ate a turkey sandwich on a bagel today, and I was absolutely fine, but I still feel like the pills are behind my nose, but they're really not. Does that make sense? If I had a stricture, I wouldn't be able to eat would I? I still feel that my enlarged thyroid is doing something because it's the same side I'm feeling the wierd feeling. I have IBS so I know the stomach thing is somehow related to that too. Haven't had stomach problems for a long time to speak of, unless I ate spicy foods or dairy. Why would I have the exact same symptoms on the exact same side as 18 years ago? A stricture doesn't go away and come back! Thanks for your input. Any more suggestions?

P.S. no fever, chills, sweats or feeling more full than usual. I had a 2 day flu with fever a month ago, with an upset stomach, but I was better almost immediately, except for the sour stomach. A week later, when I was better, I was drinking lots of coffe, soda, mocha drinks and eating pizza and chocolate!!! My thyroid is enlarged because I had radiation 50 years ago. I've had a scan and 2 ultrasounds with no problem except the enlarged thyroid. That isn't new. It may be bigger, and impinging on my esophagus, but there aren't any nodules.
[This message has been edited by fish (edited 08-05-2003).]

Old 08-05-2003, 08:35 AM   #8
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by fish:
[B]Thanks for the reply. I don't have trouble swallowing liquid or solid food. It just feels like something gets caught behind my nose like a bubble??. I ate a turkey sandwich on a bagel today, and I was absolutely fine, but I still feel like the pills are behind my nose, but they're really not. Does that make sense? If I had a stricture, I wouldn't be able to eat would I? I still feel that my enlarged thyroid is doing something because it's the same side I'm feeling the wierd feeling. I have IBS so I know the stomach thing is somehow related to that too. Haven't had stomach problems for a long time to speak of, unless I ate spicy foods or dairy. Why would I have the exact same symptoms on the exact same side as 18 years ago? A stricture doesn't go away and come back! Thanks for your input. Any more suggestions?

P.S. no fever, chills, sweats or feeling more full than usual. I had a 2 day flu with fever a month ago, with an upset stomach, but I was better almost immediately, except for the sour stomach. A week later, when I was better, I was drinking lots of coffe, soda, mocha drinks and eating pizza and chocolate!!! My thyroid is enlarged because I had radiation 50 years ago. I've had a scan and 2 ultrasounds with no problem except the enlarged thyroid. That isn't new. It may be bigger, and impinging on my esophagus, but there aren't any nodules.
Ahh, I see, I didn't realize that you've had scans on your neck area; however, the fact remains, you are having some trouble swallowing (food getting stuck is part of the definition of trouble swallowing). Strictures, you're right, don't really come and go, but if you have a minor stricture and then combine that with inflammation that CAN come and go, you can have intermittent problems with swallowing. In any case, you do have an enlarged thryoid and are having trouble swallowing, so why not get it checked out?

Old 08-05-2003, 10:06 AM   #9

fish HB User
Thanks Projapoti,
I am going to my regular doctor in the beginning of Sept. That was the earliest appointment I could get. The mystery is why I would start having so many stomach problems now when I've only had minor ones for the last 10 years at least.

I read something about learning to take pills on the net. I tried something they suggested. I had the same feeling behind my nose (pharynx?) when I swallowed a tic tac whole, but not when I eat regular food. The article said something about people can have a problem swallowing something whole instead of chewing it. I don't have problem with Tums because they're chewed, or meals either. Also, I think a contributing factor was using a nasal spray for my allergies that caused terrible post nasal drip and a bitter taste in my mouth right before this all started. The allergist thankfully switched me back to Flonase (It was a cost saving thing-Nasarel was the problem spray.) Maybe that made me very aware of swallowing and gluck in my throat! Also, I still think my thyroid is a factor because it is more enlarged on the right side, and that is where I feel it primarily. I can feel the post nasal drip going down that side of my throat and back!

Why I would have this acid reflux consistently now is also strange, unless my mind is overworking, and the tension has aggravated it. When I talk about the feelings in my throat and back, I feel more pressure in my back. That has to be anxiety. I don't feel the pressure as much when I've taken xanax, .25 mg. I hate being so tense!

Thanks again. Fish

Old 08-06-2003, 09:31 AM   #10

fish HB User
Fish again,
Anyone have any suggestions on how to take pills so they don't feel like they're getting caught? I don't have a problem swallowing them, but I must get a spasm or something after I swallow them. Don't have the problem with solid food I chew. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2003, 10:46 AM   #11
Inactive

projapoti HB User
That's another thing I forgot to write down--esophageal spasms, or perhaps even nutcracker esophagus, which could also be what is bothering you.

Old 08-06-2003, 11:03 AM   #12

fish HB User
That makes sense because it's mostly pills, and when I take xanax, it's better. I don't want to be on xanax forever, even though it's a very small amount. I think when I had this almost 20 years ago, it just went away finally after the doctor reassured me that it wasn't serious. I am keeping a log so that I can tell the doctor exactly what's going on and when. Thanks again. Fish

Closed Thread