It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2003, 06:19 PM   #16
Reflux_Jan

Hi Janedoe,

Sorry but I only know of online support groups catered for US refluxers, sorry. I am actually in the UK, saying that even though my group is aimed at the UK, we have a lot of members from the USA, NZ, and Australia.

I am doing a survey I will look to see if I have many contacts in your area if you want. I could ask them if they minded having their email forwarded to you? Obviously I can't promise, but I can try. I have over a 100 families scattered all over the world helping me.

Jan

Old 09-11-2003, 05:54 PM   #17

parky HB User
i have very similar affects as both of you.

2 mos ago, developed pressure behind breastbone, felt like i had to burp bigtime

after 5 days, ended up with a feeling like someone is grabbing my throat. that's what i have now 1/2 of the time.

VERY stress related. if i'm arguing with my wife, it gets worse by the minute.

doctor said that if it was GERD, prevacid (which i took for only a week and stopped because of lack of results) would have immediately resolved it. after reading posts on this board, that doesn't sound right after reading some of the posts here. seems that prevacid does not work for everyone.

i never had or have feelings of heartburn, just the contstriction feeling. doc said could be globus or a spasm (will be going for a barium swallow soon).

otherwise very healthy and fit - just the constriction. voice sometimes mildly affected. comes and goes. some days worse than others. the only thing that i've been able to identify as worsening it is stress/arguing. food helps it (makes it go away for .5-1 hour at least). exercising helps it too (it goes away if i'm riding bike).

i have a feeling it is GERD, but again, my doc said prevacid would have showed almost immediately relief and it didn't. plus, i don't feel the heartburn feeling, but i do feel that sometimes the food is just below the esophogeal sphincter percolating (just an intuition).

any thoughts on any of these points would be very appreciated. i'm a little worried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2003, 07:22 PM   #18

bkourik HB User
Parky,

Im new with this whole thing also. Mine started about 4months ago and I took Nexium and it went away. This time it came back, but like you I took it for a week and it made no difference. The nurse said I need to take it for a couple of weeks. I have not heartburn, but the thing in my throat. It feels like flem stuck in. My doctor didn't even suggest a barium, he went straight for the endo.- he said he can tell more by this. I still haven't set my appt., but have promised to make the appt. for Oct.. I'm like you it's better somedays, and food does make it feel better, but like you it comes back after an hour or so. It's a bit frustrating, and the Doctor's seem not to really care that much. I wish you luck on your test, please let me know how it goes. Maybe we both should switch medicines to see what happens. Take care. Try taking your medicine for a couple of weeks- I wish I could give you the answer or for that fact the answer to everyone.

Old 09-14-2003, 04:11 PM   #19

Alexis from NY HB User
Hi Parky - I'm new too and I answered you on my other post (To those of you with...). It really does help to know that you're not the only one feeling like this - I still get panicked when I start thinking too hard about what it could be, etc. When I know others have it, I feel less panicky for some reason! I kept telling people that I felt like I should be talking like Kermit the Frog the way my throat felt so tight. It's a hard feeling to describe, but the turtleneck one is good too. Let me know if you find anything out! I'll keep on with my Nexium I guess...
Feel better!! Alexis

Old 09-14-2003, 05:10 PM   #20

BWC HB User
I developed acid reflux about 2 months ago and the lump feeling in my lower esophagus is just now starting to go away. Apparently it takes quite awhile for nexium and other meds like this to really work. Additionally the lump feeling I had was more from the lesions or sores they found on my esophagus and vocal cords caused by the main acid attack I had 2 months ago. It all takes time to heal. The key is to keep taking the medicine to prevent more acid into splashing up and causing even more damage and agitation to the sores. I also found that taking the nexium at night worked better for me since my reflux occurs mostly at night. I also found that the Obstructive Sleep Apnea I was diagnosed with might have actually caused the acid reflux disease. Obstructive Sleep Apnea has been proven to cause acid reflux disease - yet itís hardly mentioned? Just some more food for thought!

Old 09-15-2003, 04:08 PM   #21

Alexis from NY HB User
BWC,

Thanks for your info - I was wondering if maybe my esophagus was just taking a long time to heal and perhaps that is it. Also, what were your symptoms of sleep apnea - could you tell you had it by yourself? What have you done to help the apnea? I ask because I sometimes question whether I have it. Thanks! Alexis

Old 09-15-2003, 05:04 PM   #22

BWC HB User
Alexis,

I only found I had severe obstructive sleep apnea just a month ago after going through a sleep study. This has been a long hall for me. About 10 years of variuos symptoms that continued to go undiagnosed and get worse. I knew I snored heavily for one thing, but I guess the right questions were never asked when I went to the doctors over the years for daily headaches, dizziness, and fatigued. It was just this year that I began to research sleep disorders and came across apnea on the internet and found I had all of the classic symptoms: morning headaches, dizziness, and chronic fatigue (even after 8 hours sleep). I also dreamed all night (I didn't know that was actually poor sleep). Anyway, I finally referred myself to an ears, nose and throat doctor, and he ordered a sleep test. In the mean time I developed Acid reflux, and further research lead me to medical studies on apnea and it's relation to acid reflux. They found many people with apnea also have acid reflux disease and theorized apnea may actually cause acid reflux and clearing up the apnea made the reflux go away. Anyway, I am having nose and throat surgery this wednesday and I am hoping and praying it will not only solve the apnea problem, but also rid me of all the other problems I described. Sorry for the lengthy reply. I am still excited about the findings and possible solutions. It is unfortunate none of the doctors I seen were ever able to connect the dots!!

Old 09-15-2003, 05:19 PM   #23

BWC HB User
Another thing Alexis, with regard to the endoscopy you mentioned in an earlier posting. I had to ask my doctor for that test too. I think it's better to confirm with tests, then just let a doctor assume you have something and prescribe pills. The test also gives you a sense of comfort that a more serious problem does not exist (i.e. tumors/cancer). Oh and if they knock you out before the procedure, as they did me - itís a piece of cake! Brent

Old 09-15-2003, 05:30 PM   #24

Alexis from NY HB User
Thanks, Brent. I am going to a gastro doctor at the end of Oct. and I really do want an endoscopy just for piece of mind. I'm hoping he'll do one even if I start feeling better by then. I appreciate all your information - I bet you can't wait to get your surgery so you can start sleeping better! Good luck with everything! Alexis

Old 09-16-2003, 05:16 PM   #25

BWC HB User
Thanks -good luck to you too - Brent

Old 10-16-2003, 06:07 PM   #26

parky HB User
after having the barium swallow done and then an endoscopy, my enterologist has found nothing. the diagnosis is globus sensation.

after researching globus sensation, i realized that it is exactly what i have. for those on this board who had very similar symtpoms to mine, look into globus sensation especially if the throat constriction dissipates when and just after eating and gets worse with stress.

Closed Thread