It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2003, 01:00 PM   #1

bkourik HB User
Post feeling of something stuck in throat after eating

This is my first time on- About 4 months ago I started taking some antibiotics and I noticed that I developed a pain in my chest(breast bone) and something stuck in my throat. I went to an ENT and he put me on nexium. It took care of it and it went away in a couple of weeks.

Well it's back and it's been a week and I took nexium a couple of days and still having same symptoms. Stopped taking nexium, pain went away behind chest, but the thing stuck in my throat hasn't- it only happens about an hour after eating. I went back to the ENT and he basically charged me $165.00 and told me if I wanted to I could go to a gast.

TO add to this I was at one time bulimic- which scares me. I had a friend die of esophagus cancer- so you can imagine what's going through my mind. If I had cancer the last time I had these symptons (4months ago) it wouldn't have gotten better, right?

I'm hoping someone else has had some symptons that I have an can at least put my mind at ease. I have an appt. in a week with a gast.. I have never ever had this until 4 months ago, and my age is 37

Old 08-25-2003, 03:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Sounds like acid reflux disease too me.You could be in the beginning stages of it .

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2003, 06:44 PM   #3

bkourik HB User
Thank you for your response. Is it a usual thing of acid reflux to have flair ups? Any suggestions on what can help? I need to get control of this, we are thinking of trying for another child, but I know that pregnacy can make it worse. Any natural solutions that can be used during pregnacy? Right now I just want to get this under control-should I ask the doctor for a different medication than nexium? I don't understand why it's not working this time, should I take it longer than a week? I'm frustrated, my husband has never had this and he doesn't know how distressing it can be. I'll take anyone's suggestion. Thank you

Old 08-26-2003, 03:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Bkourik yes in the beginning for alot of ppl it can be and off and on thing.Then it usually progresses to and everyday occurence.Gerd can present alot of different symptoms .Some have many and some have very few.I would give the nexium another couple of weeks.If it doesnt work they may need to switch you around on different meds till they find the right one for you.Alot of us on these boards have been thru a broad spectrum of meds.Please dont worry.Also just because your thinking bout getting pregnant its not a given that the symptoms will get worse.Matter fact when i had my last son 4 yrs ago i only took over the counter antacid called gaviscon ,it worked fine for me.The something stuck in your throat could be a symptom of gerd it is for alot of ppl.The pain under the breastbone if its like a gnawing sometimes sore pain can be an indication of an h.pylori infection or some ppl have this pain with there gerd symptoms.
What tests have you had done ?

Old 08-29-2003, 12:58 PM   #5

bkourik HB User
SuzyShop1,

Thank you for your response. Well the pain in my chest has been gone for about a week. When at my ENT he did a throat swab, due to my child having strep every month, it came Weds. I don't have strep, but a bacteria infection called Haemophilus Influenaza-not HIB. Doctor said it's very common. Anyway, while talking with the nurse she said it could take up to a week on nexium before feeling relief, is this true? The only sympton I have at this point is the feeling of something stuck in my throat- it is so frustrating. I put off my appt. with the GI until the 4th to see if the symptons get better, because I'm also on antibiotics.

Of course I'm worried about cancer, and search the web. I have to reassure myself that if it was cancer I would have more symptons than a feeling of something stuck in my throat. Right?

Do you think this bacteria infection has anything to do with the symptons I'm feeling? I have had 5 doses of antibiotics 250 mg each, I think they say it takes a full 72 hours. I don't know, what do you think? I'm probably making it worse by worring. Thanks again for writing back, it's nice to know that someone cares.

Old 08-29-2003, 01:08 PM   #6

Alexis from NY HB User
I just posted about a tight throat too - it's really really bothering me and worrying me too. I have been taking Nexium for about 2 weeks and I thought my throat was getting better, but then it starts back up again feeling tight (also like my food gets stuck at the base of my neck when I eat - but the tightness is all the time). I have to wait until the end of Oct to see a Gastro DR and I'm thinking I might try to get in earlier with somebody else because I hate waiting that long. Do you have days when your throat seems tight and then not tight on other days? Now I worry that I have some sort of bacteria like H. Pylori or even something worse wrong with my esophagus. Ugh - worrying is exhausting. I hope you feel better soon - let me know about your throat when you get a chance.

Old 08-29-2003, 04:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
You have the problem swallowing right after youve finished eating?Many ppl have that with gerd.I dout very much that you have cancer,so relax because if it is gerd you can make it worse by stressng.Yes some meds can take longer to kick in then others, or not at all.Then they will switch you around till they find out what will work for you.The problem you have swallowing, is your throat ever sore or irritated?Do you ever wakeup with a sore throat?

------------------

Old 08-29-2003, 04:52 PM   #8

Alexis from NY HB User
Sometimes my throat feels a bit irritated and sometimes I can tell my voice sounds different - slightly hoarse but other people probably wouldn't notice it. The weird part is that I haven't had any of that burning acid reflux feeling going on - if I had that I could definitely say that's what is causing this feeling, but since I don't, it seems strange to me. I can swallow pretty well, it just feels like someone is pressing on my throat all the time. Plus, I'm not sure how well the food moves down - maybe it's sitting there for too long. I don't gag - I just feel like something is in there that is too big or something. I am going back to my GP on Sept 23 because she did a thyroid test and other general tests. It's my understanding that if I had something like H. Pylori I would be in more pain - do you think that's right? Thanks for your response - I appreciated it and any more advice you might have!

Old 08-29-2003, 05:04 PM   #9

Alexis from NY HB User
Bkourik - I'm so sorry - I thought I was under my own post and then after I posted I realized it was yours -I really wasn't trying to take over your question - it's just that we were so similar in our problems I didn't realize where I was! This throat thing is affecting my brain I guess.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:13 PM   #10

bkourik HB User
Question

Alexis, don't worry about it. I know our symptons are close, and you are as worried as I.
Well I just got back from the gastro Dr.- he said it sounds like I have acute gerds- I guess. He said it doesn't sound like cancer, but he would like to schedule an Upper GI Endoscopy to make sure everything is alright, espically with my history of bulima. I've read everyone says its a breeze, but that doesn't make me feel any better. I said I would call them back to set the appt., with my husband traveling.

I guess I'm afraid of the procedure, but maybe more afraid of the results. I do feel alot better now, still a little tightness in the throat, but no swallowing problems. So should I not be a chicken and have the procedure? Any one had this procedure, and tell me what to expect.

Old 09-05-2003, 04:17 PM   #11

Alexis from NY HB User
Talking

From what I've read on these posts, the endoscopy doesn't sound bad since you are given something to knock you out while it is done. My father had it done and said the same thing- it was over before he knew it. Still, it's scarey when you actually go to do it I'm sure. I am also afraid of what might be found, but I think I really want to have them look down there to figure this thing out so I can get back to feeling normal. I know I need to change the way I eat too, which is proving difficult for me. At least we know we're not alone! Thanks for the update on your Gastro doctor. I'll let you know what I find out when I get there in Oct. Seems like it's a long way away and that's just the consultation so be glad you got your first appt done! You are that much closer to feeling better!!

Old 09-05-2003, 04:46 PM   #12

bkourik HB User
I know doctor's can fill up, it only took me one week to set an appt.. I told them that My ENT recommended me to see him. Did a Dr. recommend the Gast.? If it's bothering you, tell them that you can't wait and need to see someone right away. These office's, sometimes you have to be a little pushy-if you know what I mean. My ob-gyn, didn't have an opening until Nov.- I told them I couldn't wait, that I need an annual, so we can start trying for a child- they switched me to a nurse who worked me in within two weeks. Just a suggestion, I know how it feels to be scared and have to wait- it's seems to make it worse.

Old 09-05-2003, 08:30 PM   #13
Reflux_Jan

Hi bkourik,

I run a support group for people living with reflux. What you are describing is called dysphagia. This word means when translated, problems with swallowing. It is extremely common in reflux. I have run my group since April 2002 and not one person has been diagnosed with cancer, so you really must stop worrying if you can.

If you worry too much, you will be so conscious of the act of swallowing that this itself could cause you problems.

There is a risk of cancer with reflux, but there are signs for the doctors to see first usually. When the acid from the stomach burns away at the oesophagus over a long period of time (could be years and years or not at all), cell changes take place as the burnt cells are replaced. This is called Barretts oesophagus. Only 10% of people with Barretts oesophagus go on to develop cancer.

If you are having problems swallowing your food, then try different textures for example. You may notice that if you eat white bread that this will stick in your throat more (this is very common in new white bread, try eating one day old white bread instead). You may also notice other textures that cause this to happen. If you are really worried, try eating things like soups, stews that isn't full of big lumps.

Also try avoiding chocolate, caffiene, alcohol, spicy foods and see if this helps to relieve your symptoms. Do you elevate your bed? this could also help if you have problems at night, as could not eating for at least two hours before going to bed.

I hope your scope results come back okay, I'll be looking out for your results.

Old 09-06-2003, 05:40 AM   #14

janedoe1301 HB User
Reflux_Jan, do you know of a support group in the Atlanta area in the U.S.?

Old 09-06-2003, 12:58 PM   #15

Alexis from NY HB User
Great posts, everybody. You're right Bkourik, I think I will ask my regular doctor to call and see if I can get something faster. Maybe that will help. I'm doing better today - it seems to come and go for no particular reason which drives me crazy. Maybe I am just not seeing the reason. Thanks!

Closed Thread