It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
(male)

Mack_21 HB User
Acid Reflux: no heartburn?

An ENT just diagnosed me with having some acid reflux, but haven't had any noticeable heartburn, just a hoarsevoice, a lump-in-the-throat feeling, difficulty swallowing, and a randomly occuring burning sensation through my throat, mouth, and nose. Is it possible to have acid reflux without noticeable heartburn?

Old 09-24-2006, 07:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User
Re: Acid Reflux: no heartburn?

Yes. It is called LPR. Laryngopharyngeal Reflux 40 MG Nexium 2x a day is the only chance for cure. Along with diet changes. I have the same thing. No stomach symtoms at all.

IS

Last edited by kevinla; 09-24-2006 at 07:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2006, 07:53 PM   #3
(male)

Mack_21 HB User

Oh, ok! Thanks for the info! I believe that's exactly what my doctor perscribed for me. He said it should go away in a two-three weeks. Is that correct?

Old 09-24-2006, 10:35 PM   #4
(female)

viblakah HB User

I have the same thing. I take aciphex twice a day and it was a few months before i noticed a difference. I'll be honest and tell you that I have been non complient with all the rules for a few months now and it is all coming back to haunt me.... people told me it would and I didn't believe them... so, starting tomorrow its back to the bland, bland diet and following all the rules again. It really does get better, but don't take it for granted like I did. Like I said before I take the aciphex twice a day and 300 mg of zantac at night. I have LPR and never have heartburn... You don't realize what affects you until after the fact. I ate cheese balls for the first time last night and they totally put me over the edge. Just stay on your meds and follow the rules.. its ok to cheat every once and awhile after you feel better, but not every day like I have been.... keep us posted.... Lori

Old 09-25-2006, 05:34 AM   #5
(female)

smurfy33 HB User

I was going to ask this same question. I never get heartburn but I get reflux a lot. I'm on 20 mg of Prilosec which has helped significantly but if I eat the wrong thing or if I'm late taking my pill, I get some reflux. My doctor prescribed it twice a day but I usually only take it once. Maybe I should consider it twice a day all the time.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:33 AM   #6
(male)

Ken7 HB User

I have no heartburn, but they found a Haital Hernia with Reflux. I have a hoarse throat, mucas and a sore throat that comes and goes, along with burping that was there from the start, when I first felt the Hernia. It took about 6 weeks before I started to get the hoarse throat.

I am on Nexium, 40mg once a day and so far I have had a bit of an improvement over the past week.

Here's what happens to me...

When I sleep, I wake up feeling great, no hoarse voice nothing, as the day goes on, my symptoms increase in intensity...The other day, I took a nap for an hour and when I woke up, my congestion was gone for a few hours...

For me, lying down makes me feel better.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_21
Oh, ok! Thanks for the info! I believe that's exactly what my doctor perscribed for me. He said it should go away in a two-three weeks. Is that correct?

Wow, he sounds optimistic! Many of us are told with all the meds it could take 6mos before we fell all better. Of course, maybe it depends on how much damage you have; maybe yours is minor compared to some of us. Good luck and I hope you really can feel all better that soon!

Old 09-25-2006, 12:10 PM   #8
(female)

mskubic HB User

Question

Isn't Reflux the same as heartburn its just that some just don't feel it. I am on 20 mg of Nexium because of swallowing problem only symptom I have. I am scheduled next week to see a GI for a scope.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:15 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskubic
Question

Isn't Reflux the same as heartburn its just that some just don't feel it. I am on 20 mg of Nexium because of swallowing problem only symptom I have. I am scheduled next week to see a GI for a scope.

Not quite. Reflux CAUSES heartburn - the inflammation of the esophagus. Depending on where it ends up (and how frequent, etc), reflux can cause alot of things. It's irritating my throat constantly, up through my ears alot. Dysphagia (bad swallowing) and throat stricture is another consequence. In your mouth, tooth decay. It may also cause pulmonary problems if it splashes/leaks into the lungs. Some people seem to only have it hit low and cause "heartburn".

Old 09-26-2006, 05:00 PM   #10

tm3912 HB User

[QUOTE=viblakah]I have the same thing. I take aciphex twice a day and it was a few months before i noticed a difference.

Viblakah, just had a scope done and the Doc found irritation, etc. I had been taking 20mg Prilosec before and he switched me to 40mg (20mg twice a day) of aciphex. I don't believe I've felt any improvement and believed that the prilosec worked better. I know cough all the time now, which I didn't do on prilosec OTC. However the prilosec apparently wasn't working as I still had irritation when scoped. Where you on anything before the aciphex? Just wondering what your thoughts are on the subject.

Closed Thread