It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2006, 03:13 AM   #1
(male)

baldy_1812 HB User
Sizzling/Fizzing in throat

Does anyone else experience this, kinda feels like it happens below the adams apple area. Anyone know what it is?

Old 10-28-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
(female)

jelovem HB User
Re: Sizzling/Fizzing in throat

I don't know what it is but I also have that same thing. It happens to me when I'm lying, sitting or standing and even when I haven't eaten anything. Good luck hope you find out whats going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #3
(female)

ASantee HB User

I have this and think it's so funny to find a post about it. I am always trying to explain it to my husband because I wasn't sure how common it was. He didn't have a clue what I was talking about!! I feel/hear it most often when laying down and a lot more often while in our swimming pool!?! I'd love to know exactly what causes this!

Old 11-06-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
(male)

hp8 HB User

Probably as a result of acid reflux. Never had this problem until my throat issues started this year.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:20 AM   #5
(male)

Mike137100 HB User

I have this also. I hear a weird noise in my throat. Funny I just had one while reading this.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User

I have had this before too... Not too often but when it happens, it's like a fizzing bubbling sound... but mine has made it's way up into my mouth before and was like a bunch of foamy/bubbles that tasted like stomach acid mixed with pepsi (this most often happens to me shortly after I drink a soda). I have to let it all come up and spit it out.. It wont go back down once it gets to the top of my neck.... ugg.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

Hi I have the same exact problem! I am glad you brought this u because I have mentioned it before because I have also felt that fizzing almost like the sound you hear when you open a bottle of pepsi, I have LPR and thats what causes this, what i do is take maalox right away... this acid it has even destroyed my tooth enamel, I have needed alot of crowns, this acid reflux is a pain.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:13 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

lala-whatsnext HB User

lol when I mentioned to my gastro doc that I could HEAR it, she looked at me like I was nuts. I am glad to hear I am NOT nuts.
The noise, fizzing, gurgling is acid reflux I presume.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:29 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User

Funny I thought its trapped gas bubbling up inside... it happens tomemostly when my burp wont go allthe way out.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:28 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, I have posted about this previously on on of my acid related posts, and noone ever said anything so i was actually a bit confused, so I am SO glad you posted it because people do look at me like I am crazy when i mention the sizzling sound i hear, take some maalox right away as i mentioned and it goes away completely. again thanks for posting about this.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:16 PM   #11
(male)

oldman21 HB User

try some vinegar and it will fix it quick. I knkow it sound crazy, but it will work.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:26 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi oldman28, vinegar does help some people but be careful since it does damage tooth enamel, what i have heard is that people rinse with baking soda afterwards to neutralize the acid form the vinegar, but watch out not to scrub your teeth/gums after using vinegar since that can cause even more damage.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:14 AM   #13
(male)

Tom in Miami HB User

Hi, I'm brand new to this forum and found it by Googling "noises in throat and nose". I'm interested in the comments of jennyVee but would appreciate feedback from anyone else too.

I'm an otherwise healthy 54 y.o. male, and about 4 months ago I started getting extreme difficulty breathing through my nose. No runny nose or sneezing, or other cold/flu/alergy symptoms, just dry blockage. Pretty bad during the day, much worse at night.

A second symptom that showed up at the same time was a sleep wrecking event (which I now know is an "apnea"), where I would suddenly wake up several times in the night upon making a loud snorting noise, along with the sensation that I couldn't breathe. This sudden feeling that something was closing my airway began striking me occasionally during the day, too, if I pulled in a breath of air in a certain way...a very creepy sensation that something was "sticking" back there.

A third symptom that also arrived back then was a regular gurgling sound, way back in my nose. You folks have described yours as a soda can fizzing, but mine is more of a slow snap, crackle, pop or gurgle...nonetheless, I assume it's the same thing. Lastly, an additional symptom, is post nasal drip...some times not bad at all, but other days pretty significant.

The first ENT I went to gave me what seemed like a quick exam, including a scope up my nose, and said he saw signs of acid reflux in my throat. He gave me Prevacid and Rhinocort Aqua. He also suggested I consider getting a sleep study. I took the Prevacid and started on the Rhibocort, but my congestion was so bad I gave it up and started using fast acting sprays such as Neosynephrine. I bought a wedge pillow for my bed and began sleeping elevated as a further response to possible reflux.

Not feeling better and severely sleep deprived, I later went to a second ENT. He scoped my nose and said he saw pus, and that I had an infected "Rathke's pouch." He gave me a powerful antibiotic, Cefuroxime, and he also gave me Flonase. The idea of an infection made a lot of sense to me because I knew from reading on the Web that nasal congestion is caused by swollen blood vessels and blood vessels become swollen when they are trying to send more white blood cells to an area in the body where there is an infection, so as to fight it. The congestion itself, I reasoned, was then possibly responsible for the sudden apnea, day and night, because the blocked nasal passages were maybe deflecting incoming air in way that was pushing some part of my anatomy around.

I took all the antibiotic pills but left my Flonase prescription unopened, still relying on Neosynephrine. I went back to him a few weeks later when I was still blocked and barely sleeping at all. He said the antibiotic absolutely should have killed the infection, so now he really didn't know why I still had the symptoms.

He advised me that the apnea I was describing was a "palate collapse" and that there are a number of things that could be causing it. How it was related to the nasal blockage and the gurgling he didn't know. He suggested a sleep study, too, and also a CT head scan to see if there is any structural issue going on back there. I asked him if he saw any sign of reflux; he looked pretty carefully and said "None...I don't think that's your problem."

It's been a few weeks and I have kicked the Neosynephrine habit and started using the Flonase, and my nasal blockage has slowly started to get better. My palate collapse is is still there but not as bad and not waking me up quite as much.

Then, just the other day, I had what I thought was a real insight into the problem:

I woke up unexpectedly in the middle of the night and I heard the gurgling/fizzing noise in my nose....AND...in my throat! I thought this MUST be acid reflux...if I'm having the sound in my throat, that must be the acid I'm hearing...it has to get into my throat to also get into my nose. So I thought I had finally stumbled onto the answer. I had used all the Prevacid from the first ENT so I went to the store and bought Prilosec OTC, which I read on the Web is every bit as effective as prescription Prevacid for acid reflux.

I'm currently still using the Flonase daily and am almost finished with the package of Prilosec. I'm feeling a little better...but still have some congestion, some palate collapse, some post nasal drip, and some gurgling. One thing I have to wonder about is how is it possible, if the gurgling/fizzing is caused by reflux, that I often hear it during the DAY, when I've been up and walking around for maybe 8 or 10 hours or more...how can the acid be getting up there if I haven't been lying down ALL DAY? So...maybe it's not acid reflux after all? Can acid defy gravity?

I wonder, then, if I still have an infection of some kind back in my nasopharanyx area, like that Rathke's pouch, and instead of it being baterial, it's viral. I read on the Web that viral infections in the nose, untreatable by antibiotics, can last for months. Maybe the gurgling sound is just the sound of the post nasal drip from the infection, running down my throat. Again, the second ENT said he saw NO sign of reflux when he examined me.

I'm still pondering getting the CT scan of my head. Also considering seeing a gastroenterologist to pursue the reflux thing even further. And still wondering if I have some kind of long-lasting infection back there.

Anyway, even as I write this, I'm hearing the gurgling/fizzing noises in my nose and throat and I feel like I'm no closer to figuring out, and dealing with, this problem than I was four months ago.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks.

Tom

Old 11-30-2006, 06:08 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking Re: Sizzling/Fizzing in throat

Hello Tom and welcome to the healthboards

anyway I can relate to your acid reflux problem, i went through hell and back last year myself, it all started when I almost choked while eating and had such bad trouble swallowing, it felt like the food was stuck in my throat wand would not go down, because of how bad my throat was irritated form the acid reflux,first of all i was undiagnosed for almost 3 months, I actually could not eat for those 3 months because I had such trouble swallowing I was on ensure shakes for the 3 months, and of course the acid reflux and erosion/sleep apnea/post nasal drip/sinus problems worsened from not eating solid foods. also i went to a gastroenetrologist who was more lost than I was and did about 2 endoscopies and just told me I had bad reflux and one PPI pill a day which did not do a thing, he was so puzzled as to why i had such difficulty swallowing, he knew nothing about LPR.

since I had a hacking cough especially after eating doctors thought it was asthma, was also diagnosed with severe asthma, and was given a nebulizer and all kinds of asthma meds, which of course later I realized that i did not need, and the inhalers would irritate my throat even more.funny thing is now I take some maalox and the coughing stops.

after extreme suffering with bad reflux and nasal problems, sinus, and really bad post nasal drip and sleep apnea, I went to one ENT doctor which did a scope and told me I had really bad irritation possible from reflux, then gave me a bunch of other allergy meds and asthma pumps, after not getting relief and I kept doubting that I had asthma this bad, i went to another ent who finally hit the nail on the head and told me I had severe (Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR) , and nasal irritation from the acid and he prescribed 2 nexiums a day! in my case they were like little magic pills! I came to the healthboards and looked up LPR and a lot of people had my same symptoms and nexium also helped the,anywayI had difficulty swallowing, and that night I took the 2 nexiums and i can tell you I felt relief pretty quick after starting the 2 pills, I felt relived as soon as the first day! and needless to say all the other meds I was given were useless, since I did NOT have a severe asthma condition.

the problem is that when is that your esophagus allows digesting food and stomach acid to defy gravity and seep up into your throat, giving you a sour taste in your mouth along with the cough/post nasal drip and also the symptoms below.

the symptoms of LPR are as follows:
· Continual throat clearing(Post Nasal Drip)
· Chronic throat irritation
· Chronic cough
· Hoarseness
· Excessive phlegm the throat
· Dysphagia ( Difficulty swallowing, including pills)

· Constant sensation of something in the throat

· Swallowed food comes back up

· Post nasal drainage

· Weak voice

· Cracking voice

· Blockage of the breathing passage

· Spasm of the larynx (voice box)

· Wheezing

· Heartburn

· Obstructive sleep apnea

· Chronic cough, or a cough during the night

· Lump sensation in the throat

· Bitter taste

· Frequent throat-clearing

· Throat pain

· Bad breath (halitosis)

· Ear pain

Laryngospasm, or the sensation of not being able to catch one's breath for several seconds

Asthma, especially if it begins in adulthood

Difficulty singing, especially loss of vocal range

To me it sounds like LPR could be your problem, you'd definately benefit from going to a gastroenterlogist that has knowledge of LPR and maybe even getting an endoscopy done,to make sure you dont have any other more serious problems, also he will mostly likely prescribe 2 proton pump inhibitor(PPI) since really that is the only way to treat LPR, here is a list of the PPI's used for LPR Aciphex, Nexium, Prevacid, Prilosec, and Protonix. also if you can get your medical doc to prescribe 2 nexiums/a day for you maybe you can see if that helps your problem, in my case i could not imagine reflux could cause such suffering,I lost my trust in doctors after this horrible experience thanks god for the internet/healthboards since they helped me tremendously.

anywayas soon as i started nexium, there was very little post nasal drip and i have not had one episode of sleep apnea episode either! it was all related to the acid reflux, I also used to get bad chest pains, which of course i went to the emergency room/cardiologists because of how severe they were and it was just the acid, of course they never told me that, but after being on 2 nexiums i have not been back to an emergency room, or any ent docs or gastroenterologists.

I tried the prilosec once and took 2 pills a day because nexium was so expensive but unfortunately the other PPI's did nothng for me,I tried prevacid and protonix, NEXIUM is the ONLY one that has been able to control my acid and regurgitatiobut of course I have to take 2 of them. plus i combine it with maalox which I take after I eat bad foods like pizza, or have acid coming up and start coughing or getting chest pains from it.

I do get flare ups once in a while, however I thinks its because am stubborn and am not on a strict acid reflux diet I eat just about everything! but one thing I stay away from is coca cola,pepsi etc... they absolutely really mess my stomach acid up, some people with acid problems following the diet below:

Safe Foods For The Acid Reflux Diet
Food Group Foods With Little Potential to Cause Heartburn

Fruit • Apple, fresh
• Apple, dried
• Apple juice
• Banana
Vegetables • Baked potato
• Broccoli
• Cabbage
• Carrots
• Green beans
• Peas
Meat • Ground beef, extra-lean
• Steak, London Broil
• Chicken breast, skinless
• Egg whites
• Egg substitute
• Fish, no added fat
Dairy • Cheese, feta or goat
• Cream cheese, fat-free
• Sour cream, fat-free
• Soy cheese, low-fat
Grains • Bread, mult-grain or white
• Cereal, bran or oatmeal
• Corn bread
• Graham crakers
• Pretzels
• Rice, brown or white
• Rice cakes
Beverages • Mineral water
Fats / Oils • Salad dressing, low-fat
Sweets / Desserts • Cookie, fat-free
• Jelly beans
• Red licorice
• Potato chips, baked

here are some Foods to Avoid when you have acid reflux:

Caffeine

Carbonated beverages

Chocolate

Mint

Menthol

Fatty foods

Spicy and acid foods, including tomatoes, citrus fruits and juices, cranberry juice, Italian and Mexican foods (these I cant stay away from haha )

reflux causes the most damage while we sleep,because during sleep we lose the feeling of burning, so we don’t know that we’re having reflux. At the same time, it may be like a silent killer that stays at night.” That’s because over time, the acid and bile from the stomach can cause changes in the lining of the esophagus which can lead to pre-cancer and cancer thats why i recommend you get an endoscopy done, to be on the safe side. new studies sleeping on your left side,rather than the right side because this decreases the chances of having reflux or you can Sleep with the head of the bed elevated. Do not prop up your head with more than one pillow, since this will "fold" your abdomen, causing increased reflux, they even sell acid reflux pillows too, or a wedge pillow and they are pretty cheap.

sorry for the long message but i do hope the info helps you.
I would also advice you to do a search on the board for LPR, because there is a wealth of information here, also try the search engines, and dont worry Tom your not alone in this, most of us have been through a lot of problems and it has taken a while some people to get diagnosed so your definately on the right track, if you have any more questions let me know Good luck!

Jennyvee

Last edited by jennyVee; 11-30-2006 at 06:14 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jennyVee For This Useful Post:
tiredofgurgle73 (01-05-2012)
Old 11-30-2006, 11:19 PM   #15
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User

Jennyvee,

Are you cured from LPR? Do you still take meds. Do you still have throat issues?

IS

Closed Thread