HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Dysphagia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/dysphagia/)
-   -   One sided swallowing difficulties? anyone? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/dysphagia/636764-one-sided-swallowing-difficulties-anyone.html)

Maggi315 09-24-2008 04:04 PM

One sided swallowing difficulties? anyone?

Hi,
I have not been officially diagnosed yet, in fact, I have been diagnosed with about everything else, lol. My first MRI last year showed "non-specific white matter disease" and from there we ran all kinds of tests for everything from lyme to lupus. I also have a 4mm pituitary tumor, so we have been blaming lots on that, I am going to post another question in another thread relating to cortisol levels.

Anyway, now my current MRI's are showing advancing white matter disease and some lesions, although no one wants to commit that it's MS. I have tons of the symptoms, but they are mild and nonspecific, so up to now everyone has been diagnosing adrenal problems, CFS, and fibromyalgia.

But right now, one of my most annoying symptoms is the inability to swallow on the left side. I have had this for about 2 years, it is always there, but comes and goes with severity. It's gotten to the point that I have to roll over at night to swallow, tilt my head, and have given up spicey foods, tried stuff for GERD. My ENT said that when he looks with the scope, he can see swelling and redness and would expect it to be very sore, which it is not, I usually have no pain, unless something 'scrapes' the sides. My barium swallow showed no anatomical problem, but did show the pill getting caught right around my collarbone, which is where I sometimes feel food getting stuck.

The area in my throat is right below the base of my neck, it feels like something is there blocking the way, it's terribly annoying, i am reminded of it every single time I swallow. I automatically chew on the opposite side and feel like i have to drink alot to swallow my saliva. Sometimes at night, i wake up and have drooled.

I also have to drink lots of water to take my pills. No more just working up some spit and swallowing like I have done in the past, i can feel the pill stick and have to drink several times sometimes.

i am wondering if others have had just one side that causes swallowing problems. Everything I have seen or read talks about dysphagia for the whole throat.

Also, maybe a concidence, but it is my left side that causes all kinds of problems, my headaches are on the left, my chronic upper back/shoulder pain is on the left, it seems like most of my pain and problems are all on my left?

thanks, I am happy to have found this board, I am a nurse and I find it very frustrating to visit doctor after doctor and have no help.

MSJayhawk 09-24-2008 05:37 PM

Re: One sided swallowing difficulties? anyone?

I drink ice-cold water and this has helped me with my swallowing problems.

As to pills, my mom has Parkinson's and she takes her pills with applesauce, yogurt, or pudding. It has helped her.

Maggi315 09-25-2008 03:03 PM

thanks, drinking also helps me, water seems to be the best.

is your swallowing one-sided or general?

not sure what is up, but today it's really bad and annoying, i feel like everytime I have to swallow, I have to stop what i am doing and concentrate on it! Amazing how many times we swallow during the day and have taken it for granted!

Anyone else?

MSJayhawk 09-25-2008 03:42 PM

My swallowing problem is my whole throat.

Dsalazar71 09-18-2012 09:35 AM

I have the same issue. Did you find out what was causing this?

ladybud 09-18-2012 09:49 AM

I actually would have your thyroid checked out, as you could have a goiter, more prominent on the left or a nodule in thyroid pressing on esophagus. If you press on your thyroid gland and it is tender, it is even more likely to be the problem. Hashimoto's thyroiditis often causes enlargement, nodules, tenderness, and can cause swallowing obstruction symptoms from pressure. First an exam, then thyroid levels and antithyroid antibodies, and if abnormal an ultrasound of thyroid. It is autoimmune, like MS, and many people with one autoimmune disorder get other ones. That would cause chronic fatigue also. Of course white matter lesions, depending on location, could cause one sided swallowing problems too and it may be related to that. I would ask neurologist to do a visual evoked potential test to rule out MS. Your MRI results are suggestive, and it isn't fair to not be diagnosed at earliest point possible, so early treatment can be started. I would seek out a neuro who specializes in MS in your area. VEP testing is very sensitive and can be diagnostic along with the MRI findings.

Dsalazar71 09-20-2012 10:08 AM

[QUOTE=ladybud;5057930]I actually would have your thyroid checked out, as you could have a goiter, more prominent on the left or a nodule in thyroid pressing on esophagus. If you press on your thyroid gland and it is tender, it is even more likely to be the problem. Hashimoto's thyroiditis often causes enlargement, nodules, tenderness, and can cause swallowing obstruction symptoms from pressure. First an exam, then thyroid levels and antithyroid antibodies, and if abnormal an ultrasound of thyroid. It is autoimmune, like MS, and many people with one autoimmune disorder get other ones. That would cause chronic fatigue also. Of course white matter lesions, depending on location, could cause one sided swallowing problems too and it may be related to that. I would ask neurologist to do a visual evoked potential test to rule out MS. Your MRI results are suggestive, and it isn't fair to not be diagnosed at earliest point possible, so early treatment can be started. I would seek out a neuro who specializes in MS in your area. VEP testing is very sensitive and can be diagnostic along with the MRI findings.[/QUOTE]

Dsalazar71 09-20-2012 10:10 AM

I'm having my thyroid checked tomorrow. @Ladybud. Have you had thyroid issues in the past? Just wondering how you have some much knowledge about this issue.
Thank you!

Dsalazar71

ladybud 09-20-2012 10:18 AM

I do have thyroid problems, but have not had swallowing issues or goiter. Several members of my family have enlarged glands with swallowing issues. Hope all turns out well and you get some answers.

bethany79 09-20-2012 09:33 PM

I have right sided difficulty swallowing. I too think you should have your thyroid checked. I have goiter and a 2 cm solid nodule( which I had biopsied, inconclusive, repeat January). This is believed to be the cause of my dysphagia but working on ruling out gerd first. Make sure you get an ultrasound and see if you have thyroid enlargement or nodules. Good luck to you dear. Hope you get some answers.

Dsalazar71 09-21-2012 09:55 AM

Just got back from the Doctor and they said they couldn't feel anything in my thryroid. Is it possible there is a nodule or goiter they can't feel from the front of my neck?
Thank you,
Dennis

ladybud 09-21-2012 12:20 PM

Not likely unless you have a very large, fat neck. Did they draw blood for thyroid levels? I would ask for those if not (they could call it in to lab) and be sure they do free T4, T3, TSH and anti-thyroid antibodies. You deserve to get that checked since you have fatigue.

bethany79 09-21-2012 06:49 PM

[QUOTE=Dsalazar71;5059725]Just got back from the Doctor and they said they couldn't feel anything in my thryroid. Is it possible there is a nodule or goiter they can't feel from the front of my neck?
Thank you,
Dennis[/QUOTE]

Yeah you could. My nodule wasn't palpable until 2 months after its discovery on ultrasound. Mine is pretty deep.

ladybud 09-22-2012 12:58 AM

I'm changing my mind. Bethany is probably right- a deep nodule would be hard to feel. Maybe your Dr would do a thyroid ultrasound as well just to be sure. It's worth asking for, as the symptom is very annoying and there has to be a cause.

ashley56765 09-04-2013 09:58 PM

i also have trouble swallowing on one side
is there a way to get rid of it?