It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User
Acid Reflux Narrowing Esophagus...Could Someone Explain?

I'm doing a bit of research on this topic, and I plan to see a doctor. However, I would like to ask for some advice so I may better understand things and go prepared.

I have had choking bouts with food, bouts that really came on suddenly. I have had this four four years now, and tracing back to my eating habits, I found out that I did consume a lot of the following: vinegar, mustard, spices, dressings (with meats only), pasta sauces, lots of dairy and cheese, and so forth - however, not really indulging in them completely but mostly on the side. I also drank lemonade a lot, but not as a subsitute for water - just a beverage of choice. In the meantime, I did eat veggies and lentil soups, as well as fish and chicken, and I would say my diet was pretty balanced as well. What I meant to say is that I was not an "unhealthy" eater - I just may have indulged more in those foods above.

I'm just curious to know, acid reflux disease does a number on the esophagus from what I understand, and acid reflux disease can bring an onset of choking bouts and/or a sensation of s/th "stuck" in throat feeling.

Here's my issue: I have read that the choking bouts which are one of the symptoms as we said, can bring on onset of "esophageal dysphagia " which said that it narrows the esophagus and it causes choking.

my question: was this ever told to any of you by your doctor? Is it something that eventually becomes permanent disorder, or does it heal/go away? How were you told to deal with it? Does your esophagus really end up "closing" as a result...permanantly?

I'm just having a really hard time and as of lately, feel symptoms of acid reflux. I try to avoid certain foods, however, in doing so I don't eat anything healthy because of my choking, i avoid tough foods. I'm really curious to know if this acid reflux could result in permanently narrowing your esophagus.

Last edited by CandP; 11-14-2008 at 07:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: Acid Reflux Narrowing Esophagus...Could Someone Explain?

Hi Candp, I cannot answer your question as to the narrowing, but I can tell you my experience. I had the choking for a very long time, it eventually got so I could not even swallow a teaspoon of water. I will try to keep this short. I eventually had an endoscopy which revealed that I had no motility in my esophagus, in other words, I had no working muscles in my esophagus to push the food down. I had to quit eating meat completely. Anything solid like meat. I do eat bread, not often though because it just becomes a little doughboy in there and has a hard time going down. Chicken is O,K, and there are times it has a hard time going down, mostly if it is dry and not moist. I still have acid reflux, and it is really bad if I eat any red sauce. I do take prilosec, which helps. Another thought for you which I recently found out, chicken is acidic, so, when I eat it I usually get heart burn or acid reflux. Here is something else that really surprised me, any time I ate BBQ sauce, my throat just closed up and I would gag for hours. Someone told me it is the iodine in BBQ sauce although I haven't seen that listed in the ingredients. Just be aware of it. They can dialate your esophagus if it gets really bad, have you seen a gastroenterologist yet? Hope some of this helps, and good luck.

Sunny

Old 11-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sunny1 View Post
Hi Candp, I cannot answer your question as to the narrowing, but I can tell you my experience. I had the choking for a very long time, it eventually got so I could not even swallow a teaspoon of water. I will try to keep this short. I eventually had an endoscopy which revealed that I had no motility in my esophagus, in other words, I had no working muscles in my esophagus to push the food down. I had to quit eating meat completely. Anything solid like meat. I do eat bread, not often though because it just becomes a little doughboy in there and has a hard time going down. Chicken is O,K, and there are times it has a hard time going down, mostly if it is dry and not moist. I still have acid reflux, and it is really bad if I eat any red sauce. I do take prilosec, which helps. Another thought for you which I recently found out, chicken is acidic, so, when I eat it I usually get heart burn or acid reflux. Here is something else that really surprised me, any time I ate BBQ sauce, my throat just closed up and I would gag for hours. Someone told me it is the iodine in BBQ sauce although I haven't seen that listed in the ingredients. Just be aware of it. They can dialate your esophagus if it gets really bad, have you seen a gastroenterologist yet? Hope some of this helps, and good luck.

Sunny
Thank you so much for your reply - no, I have not been to any doctor yet. I have been suffering for rour years, and I thought, being that I have mild cerebral pasly, that it was due to my tongue weakening (the choking bouts). However, it is mild my CP, and at just turning 32, with it stating at 28, I figured I'm too young to have my tongue weaken!

So i tried speech therapy and still do it on my own, but it did not help with my choking. Recently I realized that certain foods cause such irritations like: a sensation of hair in my throat, a feeling of s/th "stuck," constant clearing of throat, somewhat of an acidic feeling - however all thing went away after an hour, and i never thought anything of it.

I dont have heartburns or upset stomach....all my issues are in my throat only.
Maybe I should try prilosec off the counter and see if it helps. But, meats and things - I only eat groun meat. But i need it to be really moist, so this is why i bake it with ketchup and blue cheese spred, vinegar - to make it moist and soft! I have limited my foods completely, all because i thought my tongue is weakening and this is causing my choking!

I'm looking for herbal remedies to help relax my esoophagus and maybe have that be the cure - easing the passage of food with a relaxed esophagus. But what foods should i stick to for the time being - is peanut butter every day bad for acid reflux?

Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Candp, I eat peanut butter all the time. It does not cause any problems for me, but do keep in mind that we are all different. What I see that you eat that probably does cause problems is the
ketchup and blue cheese spred, vinegar. That would kill me. I do understand having to keep things moist, that is the only way I can eat anything. So to answer your question about what foods to stick to, probably anything soft and moist, and trust your own judgement, if you have had hard times in the past with someting, even if it is soft, than don't eat it. I love asparagus, but I can only eat the soft ends, if I try to eat the whole thing, it gets stuck. I eat brocolli, but when eating the end of it, it gets stuck, do you see where I am coming from? The first test they gave me was a peice of toast with peanut butter and marshmellows, yes, it got stuck, because of the bread and marshmellows, as I said before, peanut butter in itself does not cause me problems, so, I eat it with a spoon

Sunny

Old 11-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User

No I dont have issues with PB, so I'm glad that it okay to eat daily.

I have cut bread entirely...and reluctantly so. On occassion I toast the rolls and I eat them with oilve oil, but as soon as i get that choking feeling i stop bread all together. I'm so upset by this, and it does sound we suffer similar things.

What is your daily diet, if I may ask? I'm actually 5 5 and weight 110 pounds. My mother is down my back about eating, and she is no help at all, telling me that "its all in my head" theory - I hate that she is so narrow minded, and her attitude causes nothing but stress. She sees that I don't eat much and is on top of me every sec constantly. It really upsets me.

So you are suffering with this for years? Is there any relief in sight for you?

Old 11-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Candp, I eat anything soft and moist. I eat a lot of yogurt, it not only goes down easy but, it had a lot of protein. I have eaten vege burgers as long as they are moist. I eat turkey, and you know, I can eat ground up hamburger, so I can eat tacos. Mornings I have cereal. Lunch is usually yogurt or cottage cheese with either tomatoes or peaches. When I get tired of that I have peanut butter. Dinner is a variety. I can have sweet and sour pork with rice, same goes for chicken. But like I said before, chicken can be acidic and can cause you heart burn or reflux. I have rice and tofu cooked in whatever sauce you like, I usually use teriyaki. And soup, a variety of soups. I have become pretty good at making soup.

I have had this since 1981. And, I don't think there is anything they can do. I had the dilation of the esophagus and it ruptured my esophagus. But this is not the norm, so I don't want to scare you, most people have this done with no problems. And now, since it has been so long, I am sure they must have made things easier since I had it done, but I am not going back, enough is enough for me. I just lear to live with it and watch my diet. I also have fibromyalgia and take meds for that, and I have heard other people with fibromyalgia that they get the same problems with their esophagus, but I am also not so sure that fibro causes it. I did not have Fibromyalgia until 1996. I am 65 years old and have much experience with this. Your Mom should not be so hard on you, she probably thinks you have an eating disorder and is scared. Reassure her that that is not your problem. Can I ask how old you are?

Sunny

Old 11-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User

Sunny, thanks again for your help.
I'm actually 32, as of two weeks ago. And I weigh 110 and I'm 5'5. I believe I started suffering for age 28, but like I've said, I always thought it was due to a weakening of my tongue because I have mild cerebal palsy. I went for a barium swallow, which I think its to show if you have swallowing disorders, but it came out normal, thank God.

So my only assumption is that it may be acid refluc related. I don't eat pork as I find it to be very tough. How do you eat it??
Even burgers, I must put a tablespoon of vinegar, ketchup, bluecheese when I bake it to moisten it up. I have cut spices, much to my reluctance...only oregeno though.

Just now, I had some unlce ben's rice and some fish, and I feel a sensation in my throat like something is clogging it. I know nothing is there, and i'm really debating on whether or not I should take the last zantac i have. I know nothing is there to block my airway, but i just want to clear my throat all the time, hoping it will go away!!

I have soups too, I was eating even pasta just fine, up until a year ago when penne would give me that "stuck" in throat feeling again. So I avoid that. I get so nervous eating out to i usually get fish or a cheeseburger with no bun.

Sandwiches i have cut completely...i've choked on them. pizza too, and i just love that
It is such a hassle - even some veggies have difficulty going down. I stick to burgers 3x a week, along with fish, lentil soups, and shredded carrots. Even leaf salad caused difficulty.

i will try prilosic and see if it helps. I just want to look up a diet that will sustain me in a healthy way.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Candp, a barrium swallow will not show anything wrong with the esophagus, it will only show what might come back up, such as reflux. A endoscopy will show anything at all wrong in the esophagus. The pills...prilosec, zantac, etc, are only good for the acid reflux and heart burn. You are better off than me, I cannot eat hamburgers, the last time I ate one, it got stuck in my esophagus, I waited 24 hours for it to go away, I had to go to the emergency room and have them take it out. So that was the last of the hamburgers. I can eat chicken burgers and some turkey burgers, but becareful, some turkey burgers are very dry.

I wish you luck, and your Mom, well, we never get over being a Mom, My youngest is 36 and still I worry about him. Keep in touch..

Sunny

Last edited by 1sunny1; 11-14-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Closed Thread