It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
(female)

maggiemay36 HB User
Rehab for Young Stroke Victim

My sister is 24 years old and had a series of strokes in January of this year. She was in the ICU for a month, and was admitted to an acute rehabilitation hospital last week. She has left side paralysis, right leg paralysis, limited use of her right hand/arm, some dysphagia that is well on its way to resolving, and some cognitive issues (mostly impulse control when talking with others). She is doing very well with speaking and can understand pretty much everything that is said to her. She can even read.

Not even 1 full week into her rehab stay, the facility set her discharge date for 35 days from admission (her insurance covers 45 days of acute rehab). We asked about out of pocket costs for keeping her in the program if she is still making progress at the end of her 45 days. They stated that keeping a patient in an inpatient facility will be less effective in gaining function than taking them home and doing home rehab therapy.

I tried looking up studies to this effect, but could find nothing. It would seem with such a young patient that as intense a program as possible would promote the most improvement. We can certainly bring her home and pay out of pocket for the therapy. We just want her to have access to the treatment that is best for her. Does anyone have experience with this kind of situation? Did your (or a relative's) doctor recommend this strategy or the opposite strategy? What are your opinions on the best way to get my sister back to as independent a state as possible?

Thanks for all your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
(female)

tuttut15 HB User
Re: Rehab for Young Stroke Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemay36 View Post
My sister is 24 years old and had a series of strokes in January of this year. She was in the ICU for a month, and was admitted to an acute rehabilitation hospital last week. She has left side paralysis, right leg paralysis, limited use of her right hand/arm, some dysphagia that is well on its way to resolving, and some cognitive issues (mostly impulse control when talking with others). She is doing very well with speaking and can understand pretty much everything that is said to her. She can even read.

Not even 1 full week into her rehab stay, the facility set her discharge date for 35 days from admission (her insurance covers 45 days of acute rehab). We asked about out of pocket costs for keeping her in the program if she is still making progress at the end of her 45 days. They stated that keeping a patient in an inpatient facility will be less effective in gaining function than taking them home and doing home rehab therapy.

I tried looking up studies to this effect, but could find nothing. It would seem with such a young patient that as intense a program as possible would promote the most improvement. We can certainly bring her home and pay out of pocket for the therapy. We just want her to have access to the treatment that is best for her. Does anyone have experience with this kind of situation? Did your (or a relative's) doctor recommend this strategy or the opposite strategy? What are your opinions on the best way to get my sister back to as independent a state as possible?

Thanks for all your help!
my hubby's case is more serious. He had a haemorrage stroke, completely paralysed. He is in coma for 4 months. Now he had started to open his eyes, but he can't respond except to pain. The hospital has also suggested me to discharge him and bring him home. But safety is my main concern. How can I let him be handled by a domestic helper alone in the house when I am at work? How fast will the ambulance arrive in cases of emergency? Yes, a home environment will definitely be better as it is a place of familiarity. And I certainly agree that such young patients really really need alot of intense stimulation, particularly for my hubby. For me, I choose to send him to a nursing home, where there are nurses round the clock, where there are also therapy available. I am hoping that the nursing home will continue to stimulate him, and finally there comes a day whereby he is able to come home...

Old 02-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
(female)

Doll Baby HB User
Re: Rehab for Young Stroke Victim

maggiemay

My daughter had a atroke she was 33 she is home now but did inpatient therapy it is for insurance reasons they want you to do home therapy.
Fight for her to get inpatient therapy talk to her dr he may have to write letters and you may have to keep appealing insurances but make sure she is ready to come home and it would be to her best advantage if not fight for proper care

Closed Thread