It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 04:33 AM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3
czexrus HB User
can't swallow after stroke

my dad had a stroke 1 year ago and still can't swallow anything!! he has started the vital stem which give electric stimulation to the throat and the associated muscles. does anyone know how long it takes to regain the swallowing reflex? also, does it sometimes NOT come back? he is on a feeding tube since he can't eat even thickened liquids.
if anyone was int he same boat, i would appreciate some thoughts.
we thought by now, a year later, he would be back to "normal."

 
Old 06-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Positive Cynic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 760
Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Re: can't swallow after stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by czexrus View Post
my dad had a stroke 1 year ago and still can't swallow anything!! he has started the vital stem which give electric stimulation to the throat and the associated muscles. does anyone know how long it takes to regain the swallowing reflex? also, does it sometimes NOT come back? he is on a feeding tube since he can't eat even thickened liquids.
if anyone was int he same boat, i would appreciate some thoughts.
we thought by now, a year later, he would be back to "normal."
Hi czexurs.
I am sorry but I cannot give you any thoughts about your post. I have heard about problems swallowing after strokes and I have that on occasions. But what your Dad has I don't know. Did he have any other things beside the stroke that may be a problem? After a year seems like a long time. I am sorry I can't give you anything else, but my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Give us back more about him and maybe some else may be able to help.

Blessings,
Tim

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 06-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,109
writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: can't swallow after stroke

I'm so sorry to hear of your father's difficulty...we are here to support you.

My personal experience does not include swallowing issues, although I have heard of it being issue in stroke survivors. But I can assure you that a year is not long enough to give up hope, and it sound like technology is helping those with the same difficulty.

Each person's stroke is unique to them, making us all have one thing in common, and that is the recovery. It can take a long time. Fer me, I was basically asleep for the first year. I was very wobbly on my feet, couldn't speak, read or write, and would faint for the next two years. The fourth year, I began to drive again, but only around my neighborhood (still do). I found these health boards about that time, and began to type, and figure this whole thing out with the others here. So one year is not too long.

You have not mentioned your father age, which can be a factor. Is he with you, or at his home ? I will do a little research, and see if I can find you some information...

Until then, we are with you.

 
Old 06-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3
czexrus HB User
Re: can't swallow after stroke

Thank you very much for the advice and kind words. My dad is 66 years old. Up to a year ago, he was a very healthy man. No medications, no problems. He ended up having a TIA and lost the ability to swallow and symptoms only lasted for about 12 hours then he regained the ability to swallow. One week later, he had another stroke, lost the ability to swallow and it hasn't returned. He has had several bouts of aspirated pneumonia and has recovered from them. He hasn't eaten in a year; peg tube only. He has come a long way as far as walking and using hands and arms. Really the last thing is the swallowing now. For the last week, he has had tightness in the chest; he's been to all his doctors and they are saying that CHF and aspirated pneumonia are hard to differeniate. He has both i think. When he was in to the doctor last week, he had some swelling and the upped the lasix to try to get rid of the swelling and fluid in lungs. 1 week later he had another chest xray and they say the same if not a bit worse.
He also did have a heart attack while he was hospitalized for the 5 months from the stroke and complications from the stroke.
Any help would be appreciated. He is living at home with my mom; she is very healthy so she is able to take care of him. But the are both getting frustrated along with me too.
Anyone please help.

 
Old 06-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,109
writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: can't swallow after stroke

Thank you for sharing more of your dad's story. What a turn of events!

You mention CHF, could you explain that?

I wish I had some answers for you, but I have no experience in this area. I would advise you to keep the faith up, but I understand how frustrating these unresolved medical issues are. WE are behind you, and will continue to try to find some other resources to help you.

 
Old 06-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3
czexrus HB User
Re: can't swallow after stroke

CHF = congestive heart failure.

They gave him another round of antibiotics now for the pneumonia but i worry on the congetstive heart failure. He went for so long without issues (except swallowing) he even went on a fishing trip for 5 days!!!
Tomorrow i take him to the cardiologist so we shall see what he says.
thanks for everyone's kind words and if anyone ever has any advice please share.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-11-2010 at 04:34 AM. Reason: please do not post your email address

 
Old 06-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,109
writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: can't swallow after stroke

Oh, I should have known that, because I suffer that too. Please stay with us, because I believe in time we will find you some resources to help you. I promise you I am searching for them now. We are a strong support group, and we have the ability to find other folks out there to help you.

Hang in there...please be patient

 
Old 06-12-2010, 05:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Positive Cynic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 760
Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Re: can't swallow after stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by czexrus View Post
CHF = congestive heart failure.

They gave him another round of antibiotics now for the pneumonia but i worry on the congetstive heart failure. He went for so long without issues (except swallowing) he even went on a fishing trip for 5 days!!!
Tomorrow i take him to the cardiologist so we shall see what he says.
thanks for everyone's kind words and if anyone ever has any advice please share.
Hi czexrus,
I'm sorry we are not giving much help at this point. Has your father seen any other doctors? I have found that his swallow problems can be caused by strokes. Apparently the Mayo Clinic has specialists for this, if you are able to talk to them or see them:

Mayo has expertise and experience in treating dysphagia (swallowing problems) caused by various diseases. Each year, Mayo specialists treat more than 7,000 patients for swallowing problems. The multidisciplinary team that treats dysphagia includes specialists from Gastroenterology, Otorhinolaryngology (ENT), Neurology and Speech-Language Pathology. Mayo Clinic has special dysphagia clinics to coordinate care of patients with swallowing problems. Mayo specialists use high-tech testing to diagnose and treat swallowing problems. Mayo continues to make important research contributions to the treatment of many swallowing-related diseases.

Dysphagia caused by neurological problems such as Alzheimer's or Parkinson's disease, stroke or spinal cord injury require treating the underlying condition. Swallowing problems that occur with vocal cord paralysis or tumors may require surgery. Some severe swallowing problems require a feeding tube to bypass the mouth and throat. ENT doctors, neurologists and speech pathologists are usually involved in the evaluation and treatment for these swallowing disorders.


I hope this helps a little. I haven't found anything mentioning CHF, but that doesn't mean it cannot happen, I personally don't know. I just think a good guess is that it was caused by the stroke.

Keep in touch with his progress.

God Bless,
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 06-12-2010 at 05:19 AM.

 
Old 08-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Urbana, Il., USA
Posts: 63
Graywren HB User
Re: can't swallow after stroke

I had a stroke 2 years ago and couldn't swallow. I was on a feeding tube for 6 weeks and with the help of therapy I could swallow again. I still don't swallow perfectly but I get by. They had me use ice packs on my throat and then say words like um and ah repeatedly, several times a day. That's all I can remember about the therapy. I think I have blocked it because that time was so unpleasant. You might speak to a speech therapist to see if she has heard of this ice treatment as it was considered experimental. You can do it at home once you understand it. Hope this helps.

 
Old 09-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: glendale, ca usa
Posts: 1
simon007not HB User
Re: can't swallow after stroke

i have the same problem as your dad. i now has g-tube in my stomach. i am worry that my throat's problem won't go away. i am looking for answer. i just had stroke about three weeks ago. But i am still young 41 years old compare to other stroke victims. i am looking for fast cure and effective exercise to heal faster. i love to eat. it's begin to annoy me. thanks for reading.













Quote:
Originally Posted by czexrus View Post
Thank you very much for the advice and kind words. My dad is 66 years old. Up to a year ago, he was a very healthy man. No medications, no problems. He ended up having a TIA and lost the ability to swallow and symptoms only lasted for about 12 hours then he regained the ability to swallow. One week later, he had another stroke, lost the ability to swallow and it hasn't returned. He has had several bouts of aspirated pneumonia and has recovered from them. He hasn't eaten in a year; peg tube only. He has come a long way as far as walking and using hands and arms. Really the last thing is the swallowing now. For the last week, he has had tightness in the chest; he's been to all his doctors and they are saying that CHF and aspirated pneumonia are hard to differeniate. He has both i think. When he was in to the doctor last week, he had some swelling and the upped the lasix to try to get rid of the swelling and fluid in lungs. 1 week later he had another chest xray and they say the same if not a bit worse.
He also did have a heart attack while he was hospitalized for the 5 months from the stroke and complications from the stroke.
Any help would be appreciated. He is living at home with my mom; she is very healthy so she is able to take care of him. But the are both getting frustrated along with me too.
Anyone please help.

 
Old 01-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fort Wayne IN
Posts: 2
Lynne32562 HB User
Re: can't swallow after stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by czexrus View Post
my dad had a stroke 1 year ago and still can't swallow anything!! he has started the vital stem which give electric stimulation to the throat and the associated muscles. does anyone know how long it takes to regain the swallowing reflex? also, does it sometimes NOT come back? he is on a feeding tube since he can't eat even thickened liquids.
if anyone was int he same boat, i would appreciate some thoughts.
we thought by now, a year later, he would be back to "normal."
My mom just suffered a stroke a week ago and can't swallow. Did you find out anything about your dad? Did his swallowing come back? We are lost about this. She just had a Peg tube put in today. Can anything be done to help her swallow again?

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
unable to swallow after stroke byrd1 Stroke 2 10-27-2009 02:25 AM
how long before you can swallow after a stroke rie 7 Stroke 1 08-04-2008 07:09 PM
pain after a stroke ........can you help jayneh Stroke 6 11-12-2006 08:41 AM
I can't believe this can you! gardeninggal High Cholesterol 2 11-05-2006 10:08 PM
Father had stroke-Any advice u can give? NYCdaughter Stroke 3 04-05-2006 07:04 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



ladybud (3), Cleanmean (2), janewhite1 (2), jennyVee (1), Mary57 (1), Nanner (1), juliek27 (1), Oaldon (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1182), MSJayhawk (1015), Apollo123 (913), Titchou (862), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (760), midwest1 (671), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:56 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!