It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
(female)

wwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB User
Question Is this Dysphasia? - Trouble with swallowing and food, etc getting stuck in Esophagus

Hi everyone. I sometimes have a difficult time with swallowing large pills. Is that Dysphasia? It feels like it gets stuck in my throat and will not move any unless I drink some water or other drink, preferably warm water.

Also, my brother had Dysphasia I believe. He was at a place and he had trouble swallowing some food or something. Well, he was sent to the emergency room and they had to perform surgery to repair his esophagus. He also has to take medication now for the rest of his life to help with this. Is this Dysphasia also?

Old 12-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
(male)

MTdabs HB User
Re: Is this Dysphasia? - Trouble with swallowing and food, etc getting stuck in Esoph

I have a similar problem which seems to be getting much worse. I cannot eat anything without the food getting caught in my espohagus. Very scary. Warm water works best for me, too. I have had scans, etc. and no one was able to diagnose anything. I have suffered from reflux for many years and the dysphasia seems like a probable diagnosis but the doctors did not say that after all my scans.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
(female)

susieqz00 HB User
Re: Is this Dysphasia? - Trouble with swallowing and food, etc getting stuck in Esoph

I am sorry to have to say this, but it is so helpful to see that other people are having the problems that I have. 4 weeks ago, I was eating dinner and out of no where, I choked. I have not been able to eat solid food since. At first, I could not even swallow my own saliva! I can now drink anything I want although I choose to stay away from soda. I have had all sorts of tests done. IE: endoscopy, upper GI, MRI, Barrium video Swallow. I have even been to see a neurologist. I have been told that I have a hiatus hernia, GERD, and possible Celiac Disease ( I find out next Tuesday). I have been put on a reflux medication, 40mg daily, but that is not working. I am so afraid to eat that I am starting to think that some of my choking is psycological. I have lost weight, but drink 2 or 3 ensures a day to keep the vitamins and minerals going into my system. I am at a loss as to what to do. I see that most people who have written on this site, have written years ago and I am truly hoping that someone comes back on this site and lets me know if they have found a cure or not. It really sucks going to the doctors and having them think you are crazy. I am beginning to think that my friends think I'm crazy as well. I JUST CANNOT EAT! I dream of eating a pizza or hoagie and chips. I could go on forever with my dreams of different foods that just a month ago, I could eat without thinking a thought about it. I just hope that one day, I will eat again.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
(male)

stuart39 HB User

hi

have you had manometry tests? as far as i know there are two;

baseline manometry and
24hr ambulantory ph manometry
get them both performed ASAP. they are not uncomfortable at all and will provide hard evidence on the performance of the muscles involved.

i have the same problem as you and had all the usual ENT/GI tests you describe yet in 30 years doctors have failed to find any problems with me.
I did have baseline manometry about 20 years ago (24hr ambulantory ph manometry wasnt not even available to me 20 years ago!) but the hospital negligently lost the results and for me this seems like the last thing to try again.

a slow functioning upper or lower esophageal spcincter could cause problem as well as poor motility of the actual esophagus.

Last edited by stuart39; 01-01-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
(female)

susieqz00 HB User

Hello,
Well since I last posted, I found that I had lost all muscle movement in my upper esophogus. I do stroke physical therapy exercises everyday for both my throat and mouth and it has helped tremendously. I am not fully back to normal, but I am able to eat most things, as long as I do it slowly. It may take me an hour to eat a slice of pizza, but it is worth it.

Although I have infarcts of the brain, they are not sure if I had a stroke or not. I was also diagnosed with MS, but that diagnosis has been put on hold until more tests are run.

Thank you

Old 01-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User

Do you have any other symptoms? For example muscle weakness, tired ( I mean really fatigued) droopy eye, double vision? I was just diagnosed with myasthenia Gravis it all started for with swallowing problems which I have had an issue with for about 5 years. I had all the gastro tests and nothing except for a little reflux. MG is rare but if you do have any other symptoms please make sure you tell your doctor- My biggest mistake was not reporting my other symptoms which made diagnosis difficult.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
(female)

susieqz00 HB User

Hey,

Thanks, I never heard of Myasthenia Gravis. I just looked it up and there were some symptoms (IE: muscle weakness, breathing difficulties, and obviously the swallowing issue) that I have. I also have an auto-immune deficiency that only affects my pregnancies. The Auto-Immune Deficiency that I have is called ACA - Anti-CardioLipin Antibodies. Also, my aunt died of Lupus. I am going to mention this to my neurologist. I know that I had a lot of immune deficiency testing done through bloodwork. I wonder if any of these tests were for this particular disorder? Either way, thanks for all the good ideas.

The following user gives a hug of support to susieqz00:
deeannek (01-02-2012)
Old 01-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
(male)

r2d21 HB User

My swallowing problem was diagnosed by a GI doctor, who figured from my symptoms that I had eosinophilic esophagitis as well as a stricture. The endoscopy pictures as well as the biopsy report confirmed that I indeed had a lower esophagus stricture and eosinophilic esophagitis. Since I had also had growing lifetime degenerative spinal disease and injuries in the upper body pain was unbearable. The back and esophagus together have reduced my life quality, but I started with oxycodone and find great relief. But a person has to see a GI doctor to know what is what in there. The eosinophilic esophagitis is a newer finding but has been determined to have a familial/genetic link in a percentage of cases, meaning it can be in a parent and a child, or in siblings.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User

Good Luck I hope you have an answer soon. My diagnosis took a long time because I was seeing different doctors for different reasons-so they were only getting one part of the picture-my bad. Anyway I thought I should say-I did do all the test scope mri's ultrsound xrays and they never found anything wrong there. So that is why well partly why I was sent to a neurologist.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
(female)

jojokdz HB User

I have had issues, narrowing of the esphagus.. they have to dilate it, stretch it.. For the past few months, only off and on, I get that lump feeling after I eat.. not everytime, its goes in spurts! But can this cause a sharp pain at the lower part of the esphagus.? it doesn't last long, but its real and hurts. Not all the time.. just happened today. Ate a sandwich and it hurt going down. Then it hurts in my back, mid back area.. wonder if this is because of this at all?

Closed Thread