It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
(male)

William2010 HB User
Hard time swallowing liquids and solids.

Hey everyone,

I have been having problems with swallowing solids and liquids for 7 years. I am now 23 years old. One day I was fine, the next I was having problems.

When I eat or drink, food/water collects in my upper esophagus. It doesn't hurt when I swallow, but I have to force everything down by swallowing several times before it goes down. I have to put all my concentration in bringing everything down. It bothers me a lot. On top of that people, think I am choking as I swallow. The problem has not gotten worse or better since it started.

In addition, I get what seems to be heartburn once or twice every week. It does not depend on what foods I eat. Sometimes my throat fills up with white foamy saliva that I need to swallow down or regurgitate. I also can taste food or regurgitate food if I burp.

I went to several ENTs and GIs before I turned 18. I had barium swallows and endoscopes and all doctors concluded that it was acid reflux. I took many types of acid reflux medication and different dosages and nothing improved. The burn in my chest is not even directly related to the food I eat. I don't feel that it is acid reflux/GERD. I was young and my mother stopped paying for my health insurance so I never really received a diagnosis that pin pointed what this is. Right now I only have hospital and surgical insurance. I don't think it will help me in figuring out what this is.

I am healthy and I do not drink or smoke.

Do any of you have an idea of what it is? What should I do?

Thanks,

William

Last edited by William2010; 12-15-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
(male)

robert321 HB User
Re: Hard time swallowing liquids and solids.

Hi William,

How are you feeling now? Any luck with getting your problem solved?

I have *exactly* the same symptoms. Many visits to ENT, GI didn't solve my problem.

Thanks,
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by William2010 View Post
Hey everyone,

I have been having problems with swallowing solids and liquids for 7 years. I am now 23 years old. One day I was fine, the next I was having problems.

When I eat or drink, food/water collects in my upper esophagus. It doesn't hurt when I swallow, but I have to force everything down by swallowing several times before it goes down. I have to put all my concentration in bringing everything down. It bothers me a lot. On top of that people, think I am choking as I swallow. The problem has not gotten worse or better since it started.

In addition, I get what seems to be heartburn once or twice every week. It does not depend on what foods I eat. Sometimes my throat fills up with white foamy saliva that I need to swallow down or regurgitate. I also can taste food or regurgitate food if I burp.

I went to several ENTs and GIs before I turned 18. I had barium swallows and endoscopes and all doctors concluded that it was acid reflux. I took many types of acid reflux medication and different dosages and nothing improved. The burn in my chest is not even directly related to the food I eat. I don't feel that it is acid reflux/GERD. I was young and my mother stopped paying for my health insurance so I never really received a diagnosis that pin pointed what this is. Right now I only have hospital and surgical insurance. I don't think it will help me in figuring out what this is.

I am healthy and I do not drink or smoke.

Do any of you have an idea of what it is? What should I do?

Thanks,

William

Closed Thread