It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 03:30 AM   #1
(male)

haggis49 HB User
Reflux

On 28th November 2010 I was eating a chicken sandwich when I felt a sharp pain in my throat, I thought it was a small fragment of bone or hard meat that had scratched my throat, I decided to sleep on it and see how it was in the morning. I didnt actually sleep at all as it was very painful. The following morning I attended A&E and spent the whole day there, I was admitted in the evening and underwent a rigid endoscopy which revealed nothing. At first I was eating normally, except that after eating I had the sensation of a small flake stuck in my throat. After about 3 weeks this became the feeling of a lump in my throat and I began to have severe difficulties in swallowing. I went to my doctor who told me it was probably my imagination and I may have to learn to live with it, but referred me to hospital for tests. I had a barium swallow and contrast ct scan both of which revealed nothing. The situation worsened and for 12 days I could not eat solid foods at all. On Saturday May 28th this year I tried to swallow water and couldn't, I called the hospital and was admitted immediately. I had 5 days in hospital and another rigid endoscopy which again showed nothing other than some indication of acid reflux damage. I have no symptoms of acid (indigestion, heratburn etc) and was prescribed lansoprazole in capsule form which I was unable to swallow, my new doctor changed these to a soluble one and I have been taking them for 4 days. The worrying thing for me is that although I can now swallow soft foods,potato,porridge soups etc, I am getting the flake stuck sensation again. I have lost a total of four stones in weight (56 lbs) in 6 months and fear that 6 months down the line I will be back to square one and another 4 stones lighter. Has anyone had a similar experience and was it resolved or am I condemned to simply learn to live with this as my 1st doctor seemed to think?

Last edited by haggis49; 06-08-2011 at 03:03 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread