It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
(male)

Cleanmean HB User
Bad Breath Cure

I had awful breath, but I find a cure. I use a waterpic filled with spring water and a couple of caps of Hydrogen Peroxide and a couple of caps of antibactirial mouth wash. I put the water pic on high and wash the teeth, gums, tongue, back and front every night. Mouth feel fresh. no more bitter taste and my gums don't even bleed any more when I brush my teeth. Hope this help someone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleanmean For This Useful Post:
diego0026 (10-31-2011), Ronni (11-03-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
(male)

diego0026 HB User
Re: Bad Breath Cure

Cleanmean, that is a great idea! I just got the waterpic so I am eager to try your method as a person who also has lived with bad breath most of my life. Thanks for posting your invention! Keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
(male)

diego0026 HB User

I also have my tricks even tho, every so often, bb comes back. But don't give up guys. I have tried everything, all the mouthwashes out there, therabreath, breath appeal, scrape my tongue till it hurt for 3 days, brushed my teeth till my gums were sore, etc. They all work for a few days and then bb relapses. So my latest habits are: do not eat at least 2 hours before bed (obviously whatever we eat, feeds bacteria), check what foods dry your mouth (coffee dries my mouth very bad and then gives me a bad taste and smell), try to eat your meals with water only (soda or sugared drinks mixed with meals really increases bacteria growth), and choose mouth washes that have no sugar also. Try drinking a glass of water first thing in the morning after cleaning your mouth. And of course, keep your mouth super clean. Even with all these new habits in my life, I have bad breath days, but at least it gets more manageable and makes me need not as much gum as before. I have battled bb all my life (I am 40) and I still battle it. Good luck to all and thanks for sharing your tricks!

Old 10-31-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
(male)

diego0026 HB User

Other stuff that may help:
Avoid coffee, since it dries your mouth.
Avoid sodas or sweetened drinks with your meals. Have water ONLY.
Try to get used to have a glass of water first thing in the morning, after cleaning your mouth.
And of course, keep your mouth very clean, flossed, brushed, and get a mouth wash with no alcohol or sugar, cause they tend to make the problem worse.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
(female)

Ronni HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmean View Post
I had awful breath, but I find a cure. I use a waterpic filled with spring water and a couple of caps of Hydrogen Peroxide and a couple of caps of antibactirial mouth wash. I put the water pic on high and wash the teeth, gums, tongue, back and front every night. Mouth feel fresh. no more bitter taste and my gums don't even bleed any more when I brush my teeth. Hope this help someone.
Thanks for this tip. I have gum disease......inherited and I am gonna try this!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
(female)

Mary57 HB User

I have had BB as long as I can remember. I have tried everything, including Dr. Katz, brushing many times per day, flossing, scraping my tongue and trying several different tongue scrapers, all kinds of mouth washes including Smart Mouth and Therabreath, neither of which worked. I spend 20 minutes on my routine, brushing with an electric toothbrush, flossing, scraping, rinsing and then my bad breath returns in a few minutes. I feel the odor is coming from back in my throat not from my mouth. I have seen several dentists who all say my mouth is fine and I should not have bad breath... I do have post nasal drip and allergies. I clear my throat a lot. I saw two ENT's one of which said I had reflux and put me on Prevacid. Three months of that didn't cure my BB. The other one did a culture on my sinuses and said it came back negative. Cat scan of my sinuses came out negative. I asked him about tonsil stones and he laughed and said my tonsils "looked fine". I asked him about getting my tonsils removed and he just said...oh no, you don't want to do that as an adult. Besides, he said, the insurance won't pay for a tonsillectomy for just BB.

I have tried sinus rinses, saline sprays, cortisone nasal sprays and nothing helps my PND or BB. I went to an allergist who tested me and said I didn't have any allergies. I went to a gastroenerologist and asked him about H-pylori, because I read that can cause BB. He tested me for that and it came out negative.

I saw my internist last week for my physical and mentioned my BB. He seemed like he wanted to help me but he just told me to use Listerine, as if I've never tried that. Then he told me it could be from a dry mouth. He totally contradicted himself when he told me to try an antihistamine for my PND. Now, wouldn't that make my mouth even drier? Then he asked me if I could be just imagining the BB.

I know it's for real because of the way people react when I'm near. They back away and offer me gum and mints. When I bent down to kiss my granddaughter, she said...Nana, you smell like poop. Sometimes when I speak, someone asks if someone passed gas or they go to check the baby's diaper. I can smell it myself sometimes when I clear my throat or blow my nose. It kind of smells like horse manure. I now that sounds gross, but I smell like a horse stable.

I think my BB is caused by sinus disease or tonsil stones, or both and I can't get a doctor to help me. They don't think BB is a real problem. They act like it's just a nuisance ailment. They don't realize how much is affects people's lives.

I don't know if I have tonsil stones. I've tried to look at my tonsils but my tongue gets in the way and I gag. I can't seem to see that far back.

Has anyone gotten their tonsils out as a adult and gotten rid of their BB?

The following user gives a hug of support to Mary57:
Duckpond (01-20-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Mary57 For This Useful Post:
Duckpond (01-20-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
(male)

saintvicious HB User

Mary57
Your story sounds so familiar, with the exception that I'm still in my early 20s and male.

The thing is I haven't even gone to an ENT or a doctor with this issue. I've done alot of reading on the internet. But because I still live at home with my parents alot of things are hard to test out cause I'm afraid to tell anyone of my problem.

I am 100% sure I have a BB. I'm just not sure if I have it every day. Sometimes I hardly get any remarks and I feel like it's gone, but other days I'm absolutely positive my breath smells.
I've caught people talking behind my back about it. I regularly have friends tell me about it in my face. Or some people I hardly know make really rude comments in my face. I remember that I didn't always have BB. I think it started in puberty. When I was around the age of 15 when I first started getting remarks occasionally.
I remember my brother telling me: "Dude, you smell like ****" after I had been brushing my teeth and tongue for literally 30-45mins before going out. And the minute I came out of the bathroom and he walked past me he told me that...
The frustration is unreal. I have alot of friends who barely brush their teeth and call me "Stinky". They have no idea I am brushing my teeth and tongue like 5 times a day.

Enough with the rant. I have BB.

I always seem to have to clear my throat and have alot of muccus. One of my nostrils seem to be stuffed most of the time. When I clear my throat I sometimes taste or smell the stench myself. So I'm sure it's coming from the back of my throat somehow. Just a couple of hours ago I managed to pick a tonsil stone from my tonsils. And when I smelled it, it's no surprise I have BB.
But then I heard of people who removed their tonsils (which is supposedly a big deal when you're an adult) and still had BB. So then I lose hope again.

I also read about Candida and how you have to follow a complete diet for weeks, even months, to maybe get rid of it. It could be Candida, cause my two big toenails have fungus which is apparantly a symptom of Candida.

I thought about following such a diet but it just seems like an impossible thing to do. Like eating no more diary products seems impossible. Everything I eat dayly has some sort of milk in it. I wake up, I eat cereal with milk, in the evening I eat bread with nutella. I still live at home, I can't ask my mom to cook differently for me... I'm too ashamed to talk about it.

I could keep typing about my life and how BB has made me miserable.
I've never had a serious relationship for example. I know I'm attractive, I play basketball and am in good shape. I often get remarks that I'm cute and stuff like that. But when things start getting serious, and girls try to get close to me, which happens regularly, I chicken out, cause I'm afraid of making out and having them smell my breath...
When I see movies and look at people having sex, I think about how my breath would smell while having sex...
It's just such a burden...

Closed Thread