It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
(female)

Kaseyjcf HB User
10 year old child with dysphagia

Hello, I have a 10 almost 11 year old granddaughter who up until about a 4 days ago, was a big healthy eater. 4 days ago she started complaining she could not swallow any solid food, and was choking on it. She also has been complaining for about a week about chest pain. She has epilepsy though has been meds and seizure free for 3 years. She had an incident in school about 2 weeks ago where she choked on a piece of apple. My daughter took her to the peds clinic and they said she did not have strep or tonsillitis, and did a routine throat exam and found nothing out of the ordinary. Since then she has gotten worse and we are taking her again tommorrow. She is even refusing to try to eat things like pudding and applesauce. I am wondering if 1. The experience with the apple scared her that now she is subconsciencely afraid she is going to choke again or 2. The apple incident was just the beginning of a problem in her esophogus She is a very emotional little one and gets upset easily. Right now she is facing the prospect of repeating 5th grade and that has her quite upset. She is already taking meds for OCD and ADHD. I hope she will not have to be put on more meds like anti anxiety. Her parents are just exhausted with the stresses of all the things going on with this child. I am worried for the whole family. It is hard not knowing what to do when a little one is having so many problems. Thanks for reading and responding.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: 10 year old child with dysphagia

Well, it probably is one of the two things you suggested! Or it could be both: That she's have some mechanical problems swallowing, but her fear is making it worse. If it doesn't resolve, she'll have to see a GI doctor to check her esophagus.

For now, it might help to get her to drink some high-calorie liquids like whole milk or fruit juice. I know it's hard to see health problems in a child you love.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Kaseyjcf (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
(female)

Kaseyjcf HB User

Hello, I went over to see my granddaughter last evening and bring some foods that I thought she might be tempted to eat. She loves those mini chocolate covered donuts so I bought a bag of those, also high fat ice cream. some instant meal replacement beverage and soup and popsicles, also yogurt. I was quite dismayed to see she had been served a plate of chicken and rice and biscuits. It was a rather large plate full of food and if she is having food aversion problems I would think it would put her off even trying. I love my daughter but sometimes I wonder just where her head is. I think she is trying to make the situation as normal and matter of fact as possible in the hopes the child might eat without thinking about it. If only it could be that simple. The child has always been a fussy eater anyway. I am glad she is seeing the doctor again today. Anyway, while I was sitting with my granddaughter, she put about 4 or 5 bites of food in her mouth, continued chewing and moving the food from one side of her mouth to the other, taking sips of apple juice in between bites, and then after about 15 minutes, went to the trash and spit it out. I am thinking more than ever that it is a fear problem going back to the apple incident. I suggested that she instead should try little baby bites, 1 at a time and chew about 40 times, then try to swallow. She gave me a little smile and did not respond. Then mom said maybe she would make her a shake with the instant meal replacment with ice cream whipped into it and she broke into big smiles and said oh please yes mom. So I just don't know what is going on. I will just have to exercise patience and wait to see what the pediatrician finds. Wishing everyone a good day. Thanks.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
(female)

sadgirl1938 HB Usersadgirl1938 HB User

so what happened

Closed Thread