It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
(female)

Wondering33 HB User
Food stuck in throat

So I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I have had some issues with food getting stuck in my throat. I'll be eating and when I swallow it feels as though the food is in my throat right above my sternal notch. I can breath but I experience a very uncomfortable pressure while it's stuck. I've tried drinking water but "wash it down", but most times I get no relief. Usually I hold my breath or extend my neck and it will pass eventually, but in certain situations I need regurgitate the food. There are circumstances where I do this after I drink my water will still be cold which leads me to believe it is also getting stuck. I'm not sure if this is more of a reflex issue or not. I don't know if someone can help me figure out exactly what I'm dealing with but if you can try I'd appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Food stuck in throat

Well, that is dysphagia for sure. The important question is, why is it happening, and what can be done?

Sometimes people get what's called a stricture in the esophagus, a spot where it's too tight. Food can get stuck there the way you describe. Or, there are other possible causes.

See a gastroenterologists. That's the best kind of doctor to figure this out. If you have a stricture, he can gently stretch it out by sedating you and putting a tube into your throat.

In the meantime, take small bites and chew thoroughly. It also might help to avoid eating dry bread products, as they are particularly likely to get stuck.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
sadgirl1938 (07-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
(female)

sadgirl1938 HB Usersadgirl1938 HB User

good advice Jane / wondering33 let us know what happens you are in our prayers

Last edited by sadgirl1938; 07-26-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
(female)

sadgirl74 HB Usersadgirl74 HB User

sounds like gerd acid reflux - i have that - they go in and stretch it a little a balloon and then i can eat food again ok - i go like every year to do it - no big deal - they knock u out and then u wake up and your all done - they will make u take acid pills b4 u go to sleep. like pepcid etc. thats what i take. some ppl take prevacid, prilosec etc, before bed.

Closed Thread