It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
(male)

rainguyttb HB User
Stuck sensation in esophagus w/stomach pain but can swallow fine...help please!

I've been reading up on possibilities like hiatal hernia, eosonophilic esophagitis, stricture, and things like that but nothing sounds exactly like what I have. Here's my story:

24/male/non-smoker/non-drinker

First experienced this "stuck" feeling in my lower esophagus about a month and a half ago...only lasted about three days, but then transitioned to RUQ pain that my doctor thought was an ulcer. I've taken ranitidine 150mg twice a day for five or six weeks. Those symptoms stayed the same, never had the "stuck" feeling in my esophagus while I had the other symptoms. But suddenly, a little over a week ago, my other symptoms disappeared and I suddenly started having the "stuck" sensation again. I'm still having it pretty regularly although some days are better than others. Here are the particulars:

- I usually wake up feeling fine and this only happens after I have a meal.
- sometimes the sensation is in my lower esophagus, but sometimes it is up near my throat (globus?)
- I can still swallow things fine and have no difficulty eating
- Sometimes I can actually regurgitate small bits of digested food, which taste like acid indicating that they were in my stomach for a while and pushed back up
- I don't really have acid reflux issues (I'm on ranitidine so that keeps it under control)
- some days I'm almost free of the issues and others I can't get the sensation to go away no matter what I do
- certain foods give me the feeling that something is immediately stuck in my throat, usually things like meat and sticky sweets
- I sometimes briefly have stomach pain or pain as food passes through my central esophagus but it's not long-lasting
- no nausea, no blood in vomit or stool
- I do feel a bit winded sometimes but I also have anxiety issues so it may be due to that

And I suppose that those are all of the relevant details. I'm probably going to seek medical attention for this soon but I'd appreciate input in the mean time anyway. Thank you so much to anyone who is actually able to provide me with some insight...I would love to just feel normal again and not have to worry about GI issues.

Last edited by rainguyttb; 12-03-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
Re: Stuck sensation in esophagus w/stomach pain but can swallow fine...help please!

Hi, sorry you are having such a difficult time at the moment. As you mention you also have anxiety issues, it might be what you are describing is indigestion. Good digestion depends on us being relaxed physically and mentally. If we are stressed or anxious it interupts the digestive processes and causes improper digestion with varied symptoms that can be very painful.

Try to eat slowly, allowing time to relax and digest your food; you could try a relaxation technique to help you relax; also taking ranitidine could be exascerbating the problem as we need acid for proper digestion. If we have insufficient acid then digestion will become impaired leading to bloating, winded feeling, food hanging around in the stomach for too long and possibly acid reflux.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
(female)

yrsofpainsucks HB Useryrsofpainsucks HB Useryrsofpainsucks HB User
Re: Stuck sensation in esophagus w/stomach pain but can swallow fine...help please!

I know this is a couple of months old but wanted to reply. This may or may not be your issue but wanted to tell you that its a possibility. I was having simlar symptoms but the doc couldnt figure out what was wrong. After about a year I started having cripiling stomach pain after a meal. I always complained of it felt like when you swalllow a pill and it gets stuck. Well after another year of horrid pain I ended up in the ER three times in 2 days. finally got someone to listen and the doc did a nuclear test. This is when they inject you to make the gallbladder think I was eating a fatty meal. So the gallbladder appeared to be ok but I was wrenced with pain (if your gallbladder is fine you act normal) so the surg said look-I am going to reccomend we take it out. I dont see anything else wrong with you and although it looks like its fine you have most of the symptoms. I said whatever-just fix me PLEASE. So I wake up post op and he tells me that my gallbladder was rotten. The only part that was functioning was the part they can see on the sonograms and other tests. But the whole point of the ramble was to maybe mentionm gallbladder to the doc. i dont know if this is the issue but the pain after you eat, the stuck thing in your throat (I cant spell esophogus; see) the "I just threw up a little in my mouth" syndrome I called it, And the pain after eating. I know how issues like this can suck major-so I hope you get some answers soon. Keep us updated

Old 01-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
(female)

sadgirl74 HB Usersadgirl74 HB User

sounds like gerd acid reflux - i have that - they go in and stretch it a little a balloon and then i can eat food again ok - i go like very year to do it - no big deal - they knock u out and then u wake up and your all done - they will make u take acid pills b4 u go to sleep. like pepcid etc. thats what i take. some ppl take prevacid etc, before bed.

Closed Thread