It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

chrissgirl HB User
Smile new to dysphagia

I am 41 and I am a 12yr. Stage 3 nasiopharengeal cancer survivour. This past Christmas I was hospitalized with Phenumonia, while there after many tests a speech therapist was called and based on my voice, ordered a barrium swallow study, and during that test(although extremely naseaous and vomitting all night and day) it showed that almost all swallow liquid and solids were after hanging around falling into my wind pipe. They say I silently aspirate, but I have been coughing like mad for months, so I think I knew when it was happening, just didn't know what was going on. I have had a Peg Tube sugically inserted and am not allowed anything meds, food, liquids orally. As a cancer survivour, I already suffer from extremely dry mouth from radition killing salvia glands. Does anyone have any advice for how to get some relief to my throat and how to handle what seems to be new: bad breath. I brush, gargle swish constantly I can't get rid of it. I need some guidance and anything positive about being this severe and retuning to oral eating at some point. In the short time I've know I had it, I have made movement progress with exercises. Please help, any advice would be appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to chrissgirl:
molly644 (02-23-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
(female)

sadgirl74 HB Usersadgirl74 HB User
Re: newtodysphagia

can you use a mint ? they make very small ones, i dont know if you would be allowed that or not. it may help. i get altoids minis and use them a lot. i dont have the same issues but i like them. they dont seem to have much fluid in them at all. very dry. make sure you dont have thrust etc or a problem in the mouth. or a bad tooth. that can easily cause a odor problem. also a upset stomach or gas can cause problems too. some people with liver problems have a very strong mouth odor also. or it could be from a medicine you take ?

Last edited by sadgirl74; 02-02-2013 at 10:22 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to sadgirl74:
chrissgirl (02-03-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
(female)

chrissgirl HB User

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me. I think I can suck on mints, lack of salvia makes that little hard, but worth try. Do u know if there are people this bad who go back to eating any food by mouth?

Old 02-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
(female)

molly644 HB User

There IS a spray you can have prescribed, it does work, my mum used it for many years.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

There are artificial saliva sprays available by RX. You could call your pharmacist for a recommendation and ask your Dr for a RX. The effects last about 2 hrs, and it works well. You may also be able to suck on ice cubes, as they last longer but produce very little liquid, even to moisten mouth without having to swallow. Was some procedure done to get rid of the scar tissue or whatever was causing the obstruction? I think your dentist may be able to suggest something for the breath problem. It is extremely common in people who can't eat. You might visit the Sjogren's threads here, as those people have severe dry mouth and there may be some good suggestions. Pilocarpine is an old med that increases saliva and may be worth a try too. Rx from your Dr. also.

Closed Thread