It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
(female)

terestrife HB User
Why do i choke easily when my throat is sore?

Why do i choke easily when my throat is sore?

when i was young i wouldnt chew my food right and one time i badly hurt my throat on some roast beef. lol im more careful now, but ever since then i choke with anything, it doesnt matter the size. sometimes even with water! This has been going on so long that people are always shocked at how calm i am, while everyone around me panics. thankfully i can breathe when this happens, (except when my nose is stufffy with allergies). but its a feeling like something is stuck in the middle of my throat and i cant get it out.

but today i finally realized that i only choke whenever my throat is sore/hurt. like if i had been screaming a lot, or had an itchy throat (happens from allergies) and i was coughing, and my throat is a little sore. the next time i eat, i choke.
why is this???

Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
(female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User
Re: Why do i choke easily when my throat is sore?

Although I don't know what is causing your swallowing issues I thought I might share with you what ended up being the reason for my swallowing problems. Maybe some of what I describe will ring a bell for you? I have had problems with things getting stuck for many years now. Like you describe, it just seems like all of a sudden I will swallow and the food or pill will catch partway down. Sometimes I'm able to bring it back up again, sometimes I'm able to swallow it the rest of the way down. I have found that taking pills with a semi-liquid item like runny jello or pudding can help prevent items from sticking. Also, wetting my throat by swallowing a beverage before attempting to swallow food or medicine also helps to prevent the problem. I too have severe nasal allergies and often can't breathe well through my nose, so I resort to breathing through my mouth a lot. I think that is part of what makes the problem worse as my throat gets overly dry and sticky feeling when I'm having to mouth breathe. Sometimes it feels like the item I just swallowed actually goes UP the back of my throat en route to my nasal passages (although it doesn't get that far). I've then had the item work its way down and back into my mouth 10 to 15 minutes later! Let me tell you, that is a creepy experience!
I sought the advice of several physicians in trying to find out the cause of my swallowing trouble. I had special x rays and tubes fed down my throat, but no one seemed to be able to diagnose the problem. As doctors often do when they can't figure out the problem, they started to blame me for the problem! Obviously, it was all in my head, right? Because if there really was something wrong the brilliant doctors would be able to diagnose that, right? So instead I must be neurotic is what I was told at least. They said if I expected to choke, then I would choke. I tell you, I would love to go back and choke some of them! They made me feel terrible about myself.
During this same period of time, I started having lots of trouble with muscle pain, joint pain, back pain, all sorts of pain! I started getting diagnosed with disk herniations, fibromyalgia, arthritis, bursitis, you name it! Never though did I connect the swallowing problem with the pain problems and neither did the doctors. Finally, last fall I was diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS). EDS is a disorder of the connective tissue caused by faulty collagen production. And collagen is the glue that holds our bodies together. As it turns out, folks with EDS often have some problems swallowing! Many soft tissue structures in EDS patients are kinda loose and easily overstretched. I guess that includes the esophagus for some of us with the end result being the sort of swallowing problems I experienced.
Now, I'm not suggesting that you also have EDS. But what I am suggesting is that whatever is causing your problem might be completely unexpected and currently unknown to you and your doctors. Just trust yourself that your symptoms are real, find ways to live with them comfortably (like taking a drink to wet your throat before swallowing, that sort of thing) and trust that you will have a better answer someday too.
C4-5 ACDF 2006
C3-6 ACDF 2013
Chronic Myofaschial Pain Syndrome

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply