It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2003, 08:13 PM   #1

audreycwalsh HB User
Question recovery

Can someone please advise.. I've searched and searched for guidelines on recovering from a tonsillectomy and I've not found a straight answer. I had my tonsils out 6 days ago. I thought that my ENT was being melodramatic when he told me how miserable I would be and that he was preparing me for the worst so that it really wouldn't be that bad. He wasn't. Nothing came close to descirbing the abject pain and misery I have been in for the past six days.

The ENT prescribed me Tylenol with Codeine (are you kidding me?) and told me to drink enough fluids so that I would go to the bathroom every 8 hours. The second day after the surgery, I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and as I sat down on the toilet, I blacked out. My financee heard a thud and found me on the floor in a pool of blood and unconscious. I was taken to the ER and told I was very dangerously dehydrated and my blood pressue was extremely low. They said I broke my nose and also had a sinus infection. CAT scan returned normal. In the hospital, no drugs would help. Everything worked on all other parts of my body except my throat. I can't describe the pain, I really can't but my will to live is being drastrically depleated.

How long more do I have to suffer with this? Around Day 4 I started getting ear aches. I was sent home from the hospital yesterday (Day 5) with a prescription for Percocet but again, it does nothing for the throat pain and excruciating swallowing. When can I eat again? When does the pain get better? My neck is very stiff and talking hurts so much. PLEASE HELP. I'm at my wits end. These past 6 days have felt like a month and I can't remember what it's like not to have pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2003, 11:31 PM   #2
(female)

Janette* HB User
Lightbulb

Hi audrey..

I wish I could give you some good news. I don't know what it's like to have tonsils taken out, or how the recovery is... but it's clear that you're feeling pretty miserable, and I feel for you.

My tonsils have been swollen for a few days now, and it's difficult (painful!) to swallow. I was prescribed Motrin to help bring the inflammation down.. and it's working well. Obviously inflammation isn't the problem for you though.... Gosh, I wish there was a drug that worked for you. The pain must really be testing your endurance, and patience!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/tired.gif

I hope your fiancee helps you through this. When I'm in pain and there's nothing I can do about it, the only thing that helps me is getting my mind off of the pain. Maybe your fiance can rent some movies, or play some games with you?

Please stay strong! 6 days isn't really that long, when you think about it.. I imagine it could take weeks to fully recover from all that this has put you through.

Anyhow, I'm sorry I wasn't much of a help.
I wish you a speedy recovery...

Old 05-02-2003, 07:10 AM   #3

Cadet Janice HB User
Wow. I think I'd see another doctor. I had my tonsills out at the age of 23 it was a very easy recovery for me. I woke up with a mild sore throat but I was able to takl some and eat the frozen ice cups. i ate so many I made myself sick. I was released the next day and within 5 days I was eating normally. I Have heard that most adults do have a much harder time but blacking out thats not good. Can you see another ENT?

I hope you feel better soon.

Old 05-02-2003, 07:24 AM   #4

audreycwalsh HB User
Not really. I'm tied to this one now for this procedure with the insurance. When I was getting ready for the OR, there was a nurse there who said he had his out at 23 and he was up & about in 3 days. I'm at the point where I hate these people (sorry!) but I despedrately wish it was so simple for me. I know it's only been a week today that I had the surgery but it's just felt so long and never-ending. This morning, my throat wasn't as excruciating when I woke up but still warranted 2 Percocet (I'm still hopeful that at some miraculous point, it will work). I'm going to have to force myself to drink and eat more. Maybe exercising my throat will help it heal?? Or will it damage the scabs??

Thankfully, my fiancee is the best in the world and has been supporting and helping me 100%. He's just sorry that he can't take the pain away for me.

Thanks for all the replies! Truly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by audreycwalsh (edited 05-02-2003).]

Old 05-02-2003, 01:45 PM   #5
(female)

Janette* HB User
You know, I actually have heard people say that swallowing is part of the healing process.

Again, I haven't personally been through this so I can't really say!

Just thought I would add that. I'm happy you're feeling slightly better!

Old 05-03-2003, 04:14 PM   #6

audreycwalsh HB User
Just an update... on Day 8 now and I'm beginning to see a bit of improvement, i.e. I'm not watching the clock to the 4-hour countdown to when I can take my next dosage of Percocet. I'm actually allowing an hour to two go by before having to turn to them. I'm of the mind that this is going to take a long time to recover from (this week seems to have lasted a year!) but I am hoping that the light at the end of the tunnell is somewhere near!

Thanks for the support.
Audrye

Old 05-04-2003, 01:29 PM   #7

Deb614 HB User
I had my tonsils taken out when I was 23,it does take a awhile to start feeling good. Are you on antibiotics? It sounds as if you already had an infection prior to surgery. Eat popsicles, they feel good, and don't glog your throat like juice or ice cream etc...
Hope you are on the mend soon,

Smacking your ENT http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/hammer.gifmight make you feel better

Old 05-12-2003, 09:43 PM   #8

Arwen_Undomiel HB User
Unhappy

I had my tonsils removed on May 2nd, and have finally turned the corner on my suffering within the last few days. I understand exactly what you mean about the pain. Have things gotten any better? I am on my 3rd 16 ounce bottle of Vicodin Elixir, and it doesn't seem like I will be weaning myself anytime soon. I have been able to decrease how often I take it each day. Let me know if you need any other specific advice...I think I have tried many different things with good and bad results-- be happy to share with you to try and speed your healing process. feel better!!!

[This message has been edited by Arwen_Undomiel (edited 05-13-2003).]

Old 05-13-2003, 06:17 AM   #9

audreycwalsh HB User
Hi Arwin,

I know exactly what you mean. And I sympathise SOOOO much with the pain you are feeling right now. I'm finally much better. Still have pain swallowing and I am now on Day 18 but nothing in comparison to the pain of the first week. The things that I still have trouble with most are yawning and sneezing. Both hurt very considerably. I think it was about where you are at now in your stage that I began to see small improvements in myself.

I hope the Vicodin helps... nothing would work for me. Morphine in the hospital didn't even touch the pain in my throat. Every now and then, I still take a pain killer but that is mostly the day after I have done a lot of talking. Not that it does much good but I am still hopeful! I am back to a normal diet now (after my fiasco in the hospital, I forced food down my throat on day 5-7 so my finace wouldn't get another fright like he did by fnding me on the floor unconscious).

It's a very serious operation... I never was fully prepared for the abject misery and pain. So much so that the the entire first week seems to be surreal but I know I will never forget it.

Just from my experience, ice cream just made me worse. Especially in the early days... the ice cream produced huge amounts of mucus on my throat and made it worse. NOW, I am able to eat ice pops and they feel good but that was only 2 weeks after the operation. It's funny too, any foods that I tried to eat the first few days after the operation, I cannot look at now. The thought of them turns my stomach (fettucini alfredo, mashed potatoes, jello, ice cream, various drinks).

I truly hope that you feel better soon. It's such a rough time. I also found that ice packs on my throat seemed to help. I'm sleeping like 10 hours every night so my body must still be recovering. I really hope that you see an improvement soon. If not, defintely stay on the Vicodin. You should be having a follow up with your ENT soon. ANYTHING that you have questions on, or wondering about your pain level, address it with him.

All the best! It's SOOOOOOO tough that I just weep for people who are going through it.

Regards,
Audrey

Old 05-14-2003, 07:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dramaqueen HB User
It will feel better soon, the first lilttle while wasn't the best after my tonsillectomy but it does get better and then hopefully, like me,you'll be so glad you got them out. I found codeine really good, have you tried that?

Old 08-23-2003, 03:13 PM   #11

yellowflower317 HB User
Unhappy

I just had my tonsils removed 8/14/03. Talk about MISERABLE!!!!! I cried and called the nurse at home and told to admit me into the hospital if it would knock me out so that I wouldn't feel the sore throat. She wouldn't. She advised me to drink, drink and drink more! Impossible! When can I begin eating fruit? Such as watermelon or even grilled chicken pieces? My throat hurts more at night and I have learned that while the AC is on, it kills my throat. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 08-23-2003, 03:24 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

I would suggest that you gargle with something called Hypercal tincture. This tincture contains Calendula, which helps with the healing process and Hypericum that will help with the pain.

You can obtain this from any healthfood store and you can gargle with it at least three times daily or more or how ever much you need.

Either that or you can gargle with salt water. Salt water heals too, but may not help your pain though.

Hope this helps and good luck?

Old 08-26-2003, 06:44 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User
I just wanted to make a comment about pain relievers to take after surgery. Though a drug containing ibufrofen (like Motrin) would reduce swelling, it also thins the blood like asprin. This can cause excessive bleeding. The only over-the-counter pain reliever recommended after surgery is Tylenol (acetominaphen...not sure how to spell it).

Old 09-25-2006, 09:23 PM   #14
(female)

stephanie000000 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy recovery for adults.

Hey, I know just how you feel, I am on my 7th day now, and up until last night i coudlnt eat, drink sleep, or tlk, then at 9pm i started vomiting blood and was rushed to the hospital, where no pain killers worked no matter how strong. I was left feeling very dizzy and drowzy and spaced out, and this morning they had to reoperate to close up the wound. I am now back to day one, so completly nderstand your frustration.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:16 PM   #15
(male)

jdoe1001 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy recovery for adults.

Hi All, today is my 6th day after tonsillectomy. Vicodin (liquid) worked pretty well for me. It stopped the pain mostly, and put me into sleep right away. The post surgery pain was under control after day 4, and I stopped vicodin. Yawning and sneezing are still painful to me. I am back to normal diet now except for hard food and spicy food. The pain that I am having is nothing comparing to the tonsillitis happened all the time before the surgery. Hang in there, we will get through this. Cheers.

Closed Thread