It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2003, 05:59 PM   #61

moocow35 HB User
I have been using the water pik daily for years. Yes, it does take practice, but after a while you can just stick the tip of the water pik into the opening, and stretch the opening so to get into all the little areas. Believe me, when I get lazy (usually on the weekends) and don't use the water pik, I start to get that same old "sick" feeling. Ear pain, throat pain, gland pain, and I always find a little stone in there. I'm glad you are happy with it. Stick with it, it really makes this situation completely manageable.

Good Luck!

Old 07-11-2003, 11:47 AM   #62

texann HB User
Talking

YAHOOOOO! I'm not alone! Today for the first time, I signed on to this site to research another topic. Quite to my surprise I found this message board, talking about something I thought I was the only person in the world who had.

I saw my first tonsilolith when I was a teenager and thought it was a piece of food. The next time I saw one was many years later. I was preparing to go to the doctor to have it checked out, but noticed after I ate lunch it was gone. I talked to the doctor about it with pretty much the same results as most of you have had. He didnít really seem to know what it was. He said (as he put it) milking them out probably wouldnít hurt anything. I have been doing that ever since. I find it embarrassing and I have never told anyone including my husband about it.

As a child I had chronic tonsil problems, but never had them removed. Most of my adult life I have suffered with sinus infections and post-nasal drip from allergies.

I feel totally liberated after reading all of your messages. Iím going to check out the water-pik method and the other products mentioned. Thank God for an answer!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2003, 11:07 PM   #63

Airwave HB User
Question

Hi I am so glad I stumbled onto this board. I have suffered with a tonsil stone on my right tonsil not knowing what it was. When I open my mouth you cn se his white pulse ball that has been in my mouth for the last ten months. I keep reading that some of you have had yours to fall off I have not. I hve sharp pain in the back of my throat, popping n my ears, itching ears and ear pain. Sometimes I have difficulty in swallowing
and consant clearin of the throat. I wouldlike o ask has any one had long periods of laryngitis and weak vocal cords. Also a very hoarse voice. Because I have acid reflux my ENT thinks this is the cause of my voice being weak. Does anyone else find this to be happening because of the tonsil stones. However at age 39 I have decided tohave my tonsils taken out because of the constant throat infections and soreness.Will tell you about the outcome of the surgery soon.

Old 07-12-2003, 09:14 AM   #64
(female)

candycandy HB User
Talking

I'm currently suffering from the worst sore throat of my life, and tonsils that are riddled with junk. As annoying as this is, I'm relieved that they neither smell nor make me itch. Well, they might smell, but I haven't noticed, and I've honestly never put one up to my nose.
After reading almost all these messages (man, there are a lot of us, aren't there?) I want to make an appointment NOW but it's 6am and I don't think Kaiser is open. What is an ENT anyway? I'll probably go to sleep and the answer will hit me, then I'll feel dumb. But just in case it doesn't, someone please tell me what it is! I wonder if Kaiser provides that sort of thing... I had a cyst on my wrist and a Kaiser representative told me that in the past, people would slam them with a book to burst them.
Anyway, getting back to the tonsil-junk...
When I was 8, I was hospitalized for a week because I couldn't swallow and had a hard time breathing. I couldn't eat, and had IVs stuck in me and moved around from hand to arm to other hand and so on because my veins got weak. When it was over, a doctor came in and asked me if I wanted my tonsils taken out. My parents weren't in the room to help me decide, so of course I said "no." I don't know, did he expect me to say "Ooh, yes! Please take a scalpel and cut the inside of my throat!"? I was only 8. I've regretted that ever since. Now I have recurring throat-balls.
I'm totally irked because I'm 30 and I've already had enough surgery (wisdom teeth, c-section, etc) and I want these stupid tonsils OUT!!!
Coughing and hacking doesn't seem to jog them loose. For me, it's sort of a gagging thing that actually makes me gag sometimes. I've never used a cotton swab, but I have used bamboo shish-kebab skewers and fingernails.
UGH I can feel them right now by rubbing my tongue up and down back there...

Old 07-12-2003, 09:20 AM   #65
(female)

candycandy HB User
Smile

HAH! Ear Nose and Throat... I knew it'd hit me!!! An ENT visited me in the hospital, but all he did was give me something that cleared my nose and when I drank milk, it trickled down onto my bed tray and I didn't know where it was coming from.

Old 07-13-2003, 02:01 AM   #66
(female)

candycandy HB User
Question

I got one of these plastic syringe thingies from my oral surgeon when my wisdoms were pulled (Someone mentioned it earlier, I think it was JennieBlue). It's from a brand called Monoject (at least that's what it says on the thing), and it pretty much looks like something you'd get an injection with, but instead of a needle, there's a pointy plastic tip. Which is probably more of a hassle than a water pik.
But it was FREE.

Old 07-13-2003, 09:01 AM   #67
Inactive

drknow HB User
Did ChristinaD ever get her tonsils out? This topic is like a novel!!! (p.s. had my tonsils out at 10 yrs. old and then it was painful but worth it!~.)

Old 07-13-2003, 09:42 AM   #68

mwilliamryan HB User
Question

Question for moocow35:

What brand and model water pick do you have? I have the Waterpik brand Personal Oral Cleaning System. Even on the lowest setting, it seems too powerful. If it hits right on my tonsil, it can be painful. Do you know of a kinder, gentler pick? Or have any technique suggestions? I wonder if they make higher-flow tips for less jet velocity?

Old 07-13-2003, 11:30 AM   #69

moocow35 HB User
I have the Conair Interplak waterpik. It only comes with one type of attachment, and on low it doesn't bother me. Maybe I am just used to it? My technique is put the curved end of the attachment way back into the opening of the tonsil. I pull the opening apart gently with the tip to try to get any small cracks where the stones could be hiding, or any trapped food.

Good Luck!

Old 07-13-2003, 02:23 PM   #70

marcen HB User
Smile

Well I first read this topic about 2 months ago and was pretty shocked...I had never heard of such a thing and I am studying medicine! Then, lo and behold, about 3 weeks ago I had an awful taste in my mouth. I had had a sore throat for about a week or so and suddenly this bad taste that wouldn't go away. I don't know if it made my breath bad or not, but everytime I swallowed the taste was awful. Then I rememebered reading about this and so as soon as I got home I looked. At first I didn't see anything and then later I checked again and saw a tiny speck on one tonsil...I immediately set out to destroy it and out came a huge tonsil stone!!!! To this day I am so disgusted...well my sore throat was a bit better. I got all these mouth washes including a peroxyl one that was supposed to help and I was so afraid of having bad breath. Unfortunately, a few days later I found another small stone in the other tonsil. I also noticed that my throat was still sore everyday and that the coating on my tongue was thicker than is normal...went to the doctor for a swab...nothing showed up. By this time, I knew I had a form of thrush in my mouth that was causing the sore throat and the stones ( I study western medicine but have an interest in alternative). I went to the healthfood store and bought a bottle of grapefruit seed extract (GSE) that I normally use for washing fruit or for my pets but can also be taken internally or used as a mouthwash, dental rinse, etc. Basically it is a broad spectrum germacide that must be diluted as it is so strong. Well, by the end of the second day my sore throat was gone (after having it for about 2 weeks or so), the coating on my tongue was just light again and my tonsils continue to be fine (I take a look everyday). It even says on the bottle to add it to a waterpik dispenser. For me, the waterpik is so expensive but I will buy one if this doesn't continue to work. However, I have had so much success with the GSE that I wanted to recommend it to all of you. I think this is an infection that got out of hand for me and I won't be battling stones forever, as my tonsils look nice and healthy otherwise. GSE can be used for many things but it certainly has helped me greatly with this!

Old 07-13-2003, 06:32 PM   #71

mwilliamryan HB User
Question

Julia:

Could you elaborate on how you are taking the GSE? Are you diluting and drinking? If so, in what proportions and how often? Are you also rinsing with it? Thanks.

Old 07-13-2003, 09:13 PM   #72
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

I've had those white spots on my right tonsil for over 10 years. They came and went. I have never noticed that they immediately respond to antibotics or antifungal medications. I have read that they are related to food getting caught in pockets in your tonsil. But I no longer believe that is true.

I have watch my spots develop very carefully and it is now clear that these spots begin under the skin of my tonsil and slowly work there way out like a blood blister does on your finger. I think these tonsil stones are actually dead cells that have calcified because your tonsil has been fighting an infection. When they break onto the surface some food particles stick to them, but I think that is just incidental. If you break them open they are soft and sometimes smelly just like the stuff you sometimes get out of a rather large zit that is healing over.

In both cases I think they are the debri of a fight your body had with an infection. I had a 10 year battle with tonsil infections that finally stopped when it was discovered I had low thyroid and my immune system was screwed up. Since that time, my tonsil has been slowly shrinking in size and as it does so I get many of these white spots coming out of the tonsil. When the spot drops off, it often leaves a hole that goes some considerable distance into my tonsil. That hole slowly closes and disappears.

So if you have those white spots I think it represents an infection that you had or currently have. If your tonsil is even the least bit swollen then you need to first have your thyroid checked to make sure you have a normal immune system and then to on some long term antibiotic like doxycyline for a month or more to kill and eliminate what ever infection is causes your problem.

In my case I had to take 3 different antibiotics (penicillin, zithromax and cephalexin) one after the other followed by 3 months of Sulfatrim and an antifungal to kill the yeast that started from all those antibiotics. But my infection is clearly gone now and as my tonsil steadily shrinks it is showing more and more of those white spots. Which I think is a good thing because it is the residue of past infections.

Hope it helps.

Old 07-13-2003, 11:07 PM   #73
(female)

candycandy HB User
Thumbs up

hmm... maybe i shouldn't rush into a tonsillectomy just yet. i know i don't want to be water-pikking for the rest of my life, but i wonder if the grapefruit seed extract or antibiotics will work. i think i'll give it a shot.

Old 07-14-2003, 04:47 AM   #74

marcen HB User
I agree that these stones represent infection, the tonsils being lymphodal tissue. However, I do not believe that long-term antibiotics is the way to go, as it will only serve to weaken your immune system further. A natural product such as GSE is a powerful germacide and at the same time, an incredible immune booster. Everyone has crypts to some degree (the tonsil holes) but they are larger in some people and are also stretched by the stones. Also, a good indication of whether or not the environment in your mouth is suitable for stones is the coating on your tongue...if it is thick and whitish-yellow, you are more likely to have stones.

To answer the previous poster, I dilute about 6-8 drops of the GSE in 2 oz of water and swish and gargle 3 times a day, as well as dilute 6 drops in 3 oz and take internally 2-3 times a day. Then when the infection is gone you can lower it to 2 times a day if you want simply as a prevention and good health aid. It is a great breath freshner because it kills the bacteria rather than masking the odour.

Old 07-15-2003, 02:53 PM   #75

HSJay76 HB User
Arrow

"Hello. My name is Jason. I'm a tonsilolith sufferer."

Wow. I never imagined so many people had this! I've had tonsil stones since I was 13 or 14. I am now 27. I always thought it was something that I had to 'deal with' as my family doctor told me the same story that may of you got -- "It's just food..." I refused to beleive this, but decided to try and cope with it.

For over ten years I've been picking them out spitting them out and sometimes, in the absolute worst situations, having to SWALLOW them. (your cue to gag) I simply could not put up with it anymore, so I went to see an ENT about a year ago. He told me it was...you guessed it... f.o.o.d. and that my tonsils were healthy, that I shouldnt be concerned.

I found this site last week and immediately printed out the entire contents (for 'backup' or PROOF). I made another appointment with a different ENT; a somewhat younger and more hip doctor. She immediately recognized the fact that I had TONSILOLITHS (amen?) She diagnosed me with chronic tonsilitis and said that the tonsils need to be removed. I agreed. I get them removed in 3 weeks. I know that recovery will be more difficult because I am older, but it's either that or pick, gargle, swab, spit, pick, every day until death. I opted for removal thank you.

Oh, by the way. I gave my wife a flashlight and showed them to her. Her eyes got huge and she dropped the light. Now she gets freaked out when I kiss her. Perhaps I should have waited until a few days before surgery to show her. Oh well.

I hope the rest of you fair well your tonsil stones, aka tonsiloliths, aka vomit varmints, aka puke fluff, aka tonsil rocks, aka "WHATTHEHECKISTHAT!"

I'll post more during and after surgery recovery.

Later
JJ

Closed Thread