It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2003, 08:36 PM   #1
Inactive

brandon48 HB User
Question has your tonsillectomy cured your bad breath?

I've had really bad breath for many years, and have tried every product and home remedy there is. Finally after visiting yet another new ENT doctor, he said I had cryptic tonsils. He then proceeded to give me a mirror and fold back a flap of skin by my tonsil and show me all this white crap down deep in the hole which I've learned are tonsil stones. Anyway, I never realized I had them and he suggested having my tonsils removed, which I am having done in a few weeks. My question is, has anyone suffered from halitosis and had their tonsils removed and been cured? It seems like this is the root of my problem now that I see it, but I'm just curious if there's anyone out there that has suffered bad breath for years and had their tonsils removed and had success in getting rid of their chronic halitosis? I'm really hoping this may be my cure.

Old 12-12-2003, 05:01 AM   #2
(female)

ab123 HB User
Re: has your tonsillectomy cured your bad breath?

Hi there.

I, too, have those nasty tonsil stones. I have a daily routine for picking them out. I have an appt. next week with my ENT had am hoping to schedule a tonsillectomy.

I don't know if that will cure halitosis, but those stones have a horrible odor! So yeah, once those tonsils are gone, the stones can no longer form, and there will be no odor from them. That I feel is the reason for my sometimes bad breath.

As you know, there are other causes of bad breath.

Good luck with the surgery!!

Amy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2003, 07:13 PM   #3

ShaynaPunim HB User

Yikes!
I've read quite a few threads about bad breath...this is freaky!! Personally, I have good breath...never have had any complaints, and I even kissed someone this week and I was complimented on my hygiene...Most of the posts of people with bad breath problems have been a result of the tonsils...I don't have the constant pus forming on my tonsils either...Only happens when I get the infections...Maybe that's why I don't have the problem...But for me, I have a routine...I brush my teeth a few times a day, and constantly chew gum...I also take Breath Assure when I eat anything with garlic or onions...That stuff really works for me...But, I did once date someone with halitosis...He told me it was something he could not control...I am sorry about that...I really feel for you!!!

Old 02-21-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
(female)

jadorca HB User

I suffered from chronic bad breath for years. According to my friends and husband, my breath smelled like moth balls (yuck!) After trying everything, I saw an ENT who immediately told me it was my tonsils. I had my doubts. I have not had any problems with my tonsils. After reading about how painful the tonsillectomy is on adults (I'm 27), I definately did not want to go through the pain if my tonsils were not my problem. To make a long story short, I had the tonsillectomy......my bad breath is completely gone. The surgery was NOT fun, but totally worth it.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
(male)

HeHateMe HB User

It has cured the bad breath that smells like dog poop.... if that is your question.

That smells usually emanates from infected tonsils and those nasty white bumps.

Occasionally you can still develop the white bumps in your throat but it is less frequent.

My breath is now clear or clear from the dog poop smell. It still can get bad after eating tuna or garlic or other things.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
(female)

lilgranni HB User

Hi there,
My daughter had it done. It help her out a lot. The ENT said that she had alot of old food that was stick behind her tonsils.
She was 8. SHe was up and running after the surgey and asking to go to school.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

My tonsillectomy and adnoidectomy helped my tonsil stone rancid breath go away as well as many chronic bronchittus issues I was having. Now I wish my husband would get it done.. talk about bad breath...

MG

Old 04-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
(female)

weezy1 HB User

I had a tonsillectomy and my bad breath remained.

Just yesterday I had a tooth removed that had a crown on it. The dentist said the tooth was decayed and cracked.

I also have acid reflux and post nasal drip. But a major problem was this death in my mouth!

I am still healing from the extraction but I truly believe that bad breath can be caused by a number of things.

I will consistenty brush, floss, take probiotics, drink tea, and cut down on sugars. For those of us with this chronic problem, we know that it is an ongoing battle until the right diagnosis/treatment is found.

Good luck!

Old 06-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
(female)

tdonline HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezy1 View Post
I had a tonsillectomy and my bad breath remained.

Just yesterday I had a tooth removed that had a crown on it. The dentist said the tooth was decayed and cracked.

I also have acid reflux and post nasal drip. But a major problem was this death in my mouth!

I am still healing from the extraction but I truly believe that bad breath can be caused by a number of things.

I will consistenty brush, floss, take probiotics, drink tea, and cut down on sugars. For those of us with this chronic problem, we know that it is an ongoing battle until the right diagnosis/treatment is found.

Good luck!
Weezy, did you feel pain with the crown? I have the same problems (acid reflux, sinusitis) you do and death breath. I have one crown in the back and sometimes when I floss and brush, it bleeds. Sometimes there's a bad odor on the floss. But for 3 years now, I've been told that the tooth underneath and the crown are fine. So I feel I can't ask for the crown to be removed. The dentist just keeps telling me to take care of it and it'll be fine. Meanwhile my bad breath continues. I think I do get bad breath from my other problems, but I wonder if the dental issue is contributing.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
(male)

middlem HB User

Hi Guys,

Just a bit background from me;

I am 25yo male.

I have been experienced bad breath a while a go and had recently found the the source of the smell. I found some white stuffs around my tonsil stones. Picked it out and it does smell quite bad.

I have done quite a number of research about these tonsil stones. And I tried very tricks availble, and I still can't rid of the smell.

I look at at my tonsils, and they are quite small compared to some of the pictures on the internet. I used a torch to look into them, sometimes I couldn't even see any stones, sometimes I can see just one or two hidden somewhere and around the tonsils.

Having quite smaller tonsils, is tonsillectomy still possible? Also is my age 25 still okay?

The worst thing about this tonsil stones is that you can't smell your own breath!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:26 PM   #11
(male)

MattyHundreds89 HB User

Hi, yes its definetly possible to get a Tonsillectomy even with Small Tonsils. I had my Tonsils and Adenoids removed 2 Weeks ago and my Tonsils were pretty small. Most ENT Doctors hesitate to perform the Surgery unless its absolutly necessary, I don't think Tonsil Stones is a good enough reason to get a Tonsillectomy, so thats why I kinda lied to my doctor and said that I get Infected Throats very frequently. So he approved to do a Tonsillectomy. I'm 18 so I didn't take that long to recover, I don't think the Recovery Process will be too painful for you because you're only 25 years old, but the younger you are the more likely the Doctor will approve the Operation, so you should definetly go to you're ENT ASAP. Oh yea and the real reason for me wanting to get the Tonsillectomy is because i suffered from Tonsil Stones and Bad Breath just like you. I think my breath improved due to the surgery, no more Tonsil Stones. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread