It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2003, 09:26 AM   #1
Veteran

PAISLEY HB User
Unhappy 2 months past tonsillectomy

Hi.
I had a tonsillectomy over 2 months ago. I am 28. It wasn't the most pleasant experience but I made it through. However, I still don't feel 100%. Can anyone explain these lingering, annoying things I am dealing with:

-very dry tounge (in the back), despite "all day" water-drinking
-feeling of something lodged in my throat constantly
-throat looks and feels more narrow than normal, some words are hard to say now
-very bad taste in my mouth all the time, constantly doing peroxide gargles
-taste buds not working properly, thus nothing tastes the same as before my surgery, very bland

PLEASE HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2004, 03:10 PM   #2

wubbogirl HB User
Re: 2 months past tonsillectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAISLEY
Hi.
I had a tonsillectomy over 2 months ago. I am 28. It wasn't the most pleasant experience but I made it through. However, I still don't feel 100%. Can anyone explain these lingering, annoying things I am dealing with:

-taste buds not working properly, thus nothing tastes the same as before my surgery, very bland

PLEASE HELP!
Hey,

I had my tonsils out last year when I was 27. I know how you feel. I didn't feel 100% better until a couple of months after my surgery either. It just took awhile for things to heal. Isn't it annoying when food gets stuck in those pockets where the tonsils use to be. In the end you will be grateful for doing the surgery. before I got my tonsils our I would get sick like every 6 weeks. In the last year I only got sick twice.

Brittney

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2004, 10:42 PM   #3

SWefel HB User
Unhappy Re: 2 months past tonsillectomy

Hi, I'm new to this board. I was searching for info on post tonsillectomy problems. Paisley, I have all the same symptoms and the worst is the lack of taste or should I say foul taste most things have. It's getting depressing. I'm wondering if you've noticed an improvement yet. I will be 4 weeks tomorrow. I appreciate anyone's imput on how long it took to regain normal taste. I'm starting to get scared that this will not get better although my ENT says it will. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2004, 09:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
Hi.

PLEASE HELP!
I had my tonsils out 2months ago also. Although I don't really have these symptoms except bad taste in the morning, and feeling like there is something in the back of my throat. I was told it shouldn't be to much longer until I feel 100%. The older you are the longer it takes. So hopefuly before to long you will feel alot better.

Old 02-17-2004, 09:55 AM   #5

genners HB User

Hi,

I wouldn't be too concerned just yet; although, i would let my doctor know of my symptoms. I was 27 when I had my tonsils out and had most, if not all, of the same symptoms as you. It took me four months to fully recover. My tongue actually was numb for the first month and I was scared I wouldn't get the sensation back - but I did. I also lost about 20 pounds because I couldn't taste the food so I didn't want to eat it.

I'm 28 now and am fully recovered. The older you are, the harder it is to recover and the longer it takes to recover from such an operation. Hang in there and make sure to let your doctor know about your symptoms (just in case there is another underlying cause).

Genners

Quote:
Hi.

PLEASE HELP!

Old 02-24-2004, 11:03 AM   #6

tsk_n_such HB User

i will likely be having mine out in the next few months. I'm 25 and every month-month and a half i get severe tonsil infections that no one has been able to find the cause of. and each time it seems i get a higher fever along with it. at one point i had 104.5, not pleasant at all. it's good to hear from others who have had their out at a later age. one question, how much time should i plan to take off for work? i had planned on just using all of my sick time available (which comes to a few weeks) but my supervisor, who's child just had hers out, mentioned that i would probably have to take a few days. i have a very high tolerance for pain, but i'm thinking i'll probably need more than a day or two, especially since i work in the healthcare field and work at night alone. if i were to have a problem, (bleeding, getting ill, etc,) i would have to call around to find someone to come in, as i cannot leave the residents alone. And no one answers their phone at 3 am, heh. So how many days, in general, should i expect to take off?

Old 02-24-2004, 01:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

My ENT wrote a letter to my supervisor indicating I should take at LEAST 2 week off from work. And I pretty much needed all of that time off. Didn't really feel all that great/functional until about day 11-12. Lost my voice for most of the time, so I wouldn't have been able to answer phones. My ENT told me that I wouldn't want to risk being at work or anywhere else and run the risk of vomiting up blood. Ewww!

Old 04-05-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
(female)

georgiw HB User

Glad to know I'm not alone.. Im 44 and 2 week post op of tonsil/adenoid surgery....I am so dry today no matter what I do and the right side (the worst tonsil) is feeling swollen in adenoid and tonsil area. I'll see how I feel tomorrow and if not better, I think I'll call good ole ENT.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:21 PM   #9
(female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
Hi.

PLEASE HELP!
I have the same problems and I'm 7 weeks post-op. My ENT said it would take anywhere from 4 to 6 months for the healing to finish and it could be longer, depending on your complications.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #10
(female)

rezendej HB User

I take care of kids who have this done all the time. (the ones who need to stay overnight in the hospital - not all kids do). they do fine; so, i thought it would be a walk in the park. i didn't believe all the adults who said it was SO painful. i thought that if i kid can do it, adults must just be big wimps.
uh, NOOOOOO!!!
i thought that i (mighty jenn) would be fine. i didn't think i'd even need a week off. i was scheduled to go back at POD 8 and I had to call in sick. it just hurt so bad. plus, i had some slight pod 6 bleeding and didn't want to deal with the risk of bleeding if you're too active.
all i am saying is do not underestimate this surgery. it is no joke. the pain meds and lack of proper nutrition make you really tired. ask your boss for at least a week to 9 days. if you feel better, you can always go in early. just a thought. good luck.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:02 PM   #11
(female)

ms mika HB User

Hello Jr8,

Sounds Like We Are In The Same Boat, I Had A Tonsillectomy Feb

28th, And I Still Can't Taste Anything,do You Think Maybe

Something Went Wrong During Surgery, I Haven't Talked With My

Doctor Yet, I Am Scheduled For A Radical Neck Dissection On The

30th Because I Have Cancer In The Right Tonsil, I Have Also Lost

Alot Of Weight Because Of No Taste, And I Love To Eat, I Have

Been Searching The Web About This Topic, And Some Say Taste Buds

Will Come Back In 6wks, 6months, Or Never, So I Am Praying It

Will Come Back Soon, So Hang In There, If I Learn Anything New I

Will Contact You If That Is Ok.god Bless You, Ms Mika

Old 04-15-2007, 10:14 PM   #12
(female)

ms mika HB User

HELLO JR8,

I JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM, I HAD A TONSILLECTOMY FEB 28TH, AND STILL NO TASTE BUDS, I HAVE BEEN CHECKING THE WEB ON THIS TOPIC, BUT THERE IS ALL KINDS OF ANSWERS, IT SAYS THEY WILL COME BACK IN 6WKS, 6MONTHS, OR NEVER, WELL I AM HOPING MINE WILL COME BACK SOON, I DO NOT ENJOY EATING BECAUSE EVERYTHING TASTE LIKE DIRT, I HAVE LOST WEIGHT ALSO BECAUSE OF THIS, I AM SCHEDULED TO HAVE A RADICAL NECK DISSECTION BECAUSE OF THE CANCER IN MY RIGHT TONSIL, AND I THINK THAT WILL EFFECT MY TASTE BUDS ALSO, I HOPE YOU GET YOUR TASTE BUDS BACK SOON, AT LEAST TRY AND DRINK SOME ENSURE TO KEEP YOUR STRENGTH UP, I KNOW IT IS AWFUL, BUT IT WORKS, IF I FIND ANY MORE INFO ON THIS TOPIC, I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF THAT IS OK.

TAKE CARE AND GOD SPEED
MS MIKA

Old 04-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #13
(female)

3kites HB User

I am thinking about haveing a tonsillectomy, i have had major problems for a long long time now, and several doctors have suggested that I do it. The reason i have put it off for so long is the money. I dont have any insurace, could you tell me how much it cost? Thanks!!!!

Old 04-17-2007, 08:02 PM   #14
(male)

Detonator007 HB User

I had my surgery Feb 20th and I recovered pretty quickly (2 weeks) but there are two things that just wont go away, the back of my throat gets dry very easily ( LUMP FEELING ) and I constantly need water or a drink so I can speak clearly and not feel my throat stick ( kind of the same feeling when I had the scabs ) ?? Also morning the throat is totally dry . . .

Is this common among you guys also, guess it takes far longer than 2 weeks to recover completely

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAISLEY View Post
Hi.

PLEASE HELP!

Old 04-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #15
(female)

sciencegirl2006 HB User

I just had my surgery 2 weeks ago yesterday. I have that feeling of dryness and something being in the way in the back of my throat. I also still hurt when swallowing and have trouble eating things. What bothers me most is how tired I get. I went back to work on Monday for half a day and Tuesday all day. I have come home each night and slept for 3 hours and then went to bed at my normal time. I feel tired throughout the day as well. Any tips to get my energy back. I'm off today due to a family members surgery and can't be more thankful about the rest. I need more energy. Any suggestions?

Closed Thread