It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2004, 07:01 PM   #1
Inactive

brandon48 HB User
Vicodin or Tylenol 3 (recovering tonsillectomy)??

I had a tonsillectomy five hours ago, and I am now in EXTREME pain. Only when I swallow, so I'm doing that as little as possible. But I can tell you this is some of the worst pain I've experienced. All they gave me was tylenol 3 and vicodin. They gave me tylenol 3 when I was in the recovery room, and they told me I could take the vicodin when I got home. I took one when I got home and now it's been almost two hours and the pain hasn't let up at all, and I'm wide awake. Would it be better to take 2 tylenol 3s or 1 vicodin for the pain (and to help me sleep a bit)?? Please if anyone knows I'd appreciate it!!

Old 01-04-2004, 07:11 PM   #2
Inactive

Missladyt1 HB User
Re: Vicodin or Tylenol 3 (recovering tonsillectomy)??

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon48
I had a tonsillectomy five hours ago, and I am now in EXTREME pain. Only when I swallow, so I'm doing that as little as possible. But I can tell you this is some of the worst pain I've experienced. All they gave me was tylenol 3 and vicodin. They gave me tylenol 3 when I was in the recovery room, and they told me I could take the vicodin when I got home. I took one when I got home and now it's been almost two hours and the pain hasn't let up at all, and I'm wide awake. Would it be better to take 2 tylenol 3s or 1 vicodin for the pain (and to help me sleep a bit)?? Please if anyone knows I'd appreciate it!!
I would call the doctor and get some stronger meds, but in the meantime I would probably take 1 1/2 of the Tylenol and then about 11/2 hour later I would take a Motrin. It is probably going to be hard because the pain has already set in. Were you in pain when you left the hospital? They should not have let you leave in such pain. I hope this helps you.

Last edited by Missladyt1; 01-04-2004 at 07:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2004, 07:30 PM   #3
Inactive

brandon48 HB User

I'm going to try and tough it out today, and maybe try and get something stronger tomorrow. So do you think the T3 is stronger than Vicodin? I'm gonna try another Vicodin an about an hour, it says for extreme pain and I can have one every three hours if needed, which I'm going to stick to. The T3 doesn't do a think for me. I wish they would have given me something to help me rest though...
The only pain is when swallowing, which is pretty bad.

Old 01-04-2004, 07:50 PM   #4
Inactive

Missladyt1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon48
I'm going to try and tough it out today, and maybe try and get something stronger tomorrow. So do you think the T3 is stronger than Vicodin? I'm gonna try another Vicodin an about an hour, it says for extreme pain and I can have one every three hours if needed, which I'm going to stick to. The T3 doesn't do a think for me. I wish they would have given me something to help me rest though...
The only pain is when swallowing, which is pretty bad.
The Vicodin is stronger, I would take it. It is not going to hurt to take it maybe at 2 hours and 45 minutes. T3 is not as strong as it use to be. Keep me posted. I am due to have my Tonsils removed Wednesday, but I am staying overnight in the hospital. I don't think I would try and tough it out, take your pain med now and stay on top of it. If you try and tough it out you will only make it worse. I don't think the worst has come yet and you need to be well medicated. I hope you feel better.

Old 01-04-2004, 08:08 PM   #5

ShaynaPunim HB User

B-
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES TAKE MOTRIN!!!!!! It is a blood thinner and you will bleed!!!! I took vicodin throughout the whole recovery, well for at least 10 days. Did you take the max dosage of the vicodin? Mine was liquid, so I could take between 5 and 15 mls. I never took the 15mls, usually I would take 5 if the pain wasn't bad, and 10 when it was excrutiating. I am surprised you are in so much pain already. Mine didn't him me until like 2 days after the surgery. Don't try to speak, that will hurt, and take a few sips of water which helps with it. It's hurting because it is very dry also. GOOD LUCK, AND LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS

Old 01-04-2004, 11:10 PM   #6
Inactive

brandon48 HB User

Yeah, there's no motrin. Just vicodin and t3. I called (well, my wife called) my doc and asked him if he could give me anything stronger. He said Vicodin was the strongest thing he could give me, but told me I can take 2 tablets every 3 hours instead of 1 as stated on the directions. So that's what I've been doing the rest of the day. Hasn't helped a bit though, It is incredibly painful when I swallow. And I don't have the liquid one either, only the tablets. I don't know how you even ate soup, I can barely take a sip of water. I think something was up during my operation, it was only supposed to take 15 minutes but it took him an hour and a half. And he didn't mention anything out of the ordinary to my wife, just that he had problems with my tonsils and they were really bad.
Is this vicodin supposed to make you sleepy? I'm wide awake, and as long as I don't swallow I'm fine. Trying to only swallow once every few minutes, and sip water too. Gonna try and have some ice chips in a bit.
Man, I hope this doesn't get any worse... One more hour until the next two vicodin.

Closed Thread