It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2004, 01:27 PM   #1
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 41
Missladyt1 HB User
Smile Back from Tonsillectomy Surgery

Hello everyone,

First, thank you baseballmom777 for your kind thoughts. I am doing well,the pain is not too bad right now. It just feels like a bad sore throat. The surgery only took 44 minutes,so everything went well. I know I will probably have some worse pain in the next few days, but it is well worth not having to pick tonsil stones out of my throat everyday and smelling the awful, awful smell.

I am just trying to keep up with my pain meds and it is helping me out a lot. I am only going to eat jello and popsicles and plenty of water for the first couple of days. I am not taking any chances.

If anyone have any questions about the procedure let me know I will gladly help out.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-08-2004, 08:34 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 34
baseballmom777 HB User
Re: Back from Tonsillectomy Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missladyt1
Hello everyone,

First, thank you baseballmom777 for your kind thoughts. I am doing well,the pain is not too bad right now. It just feels like a bad sore throat. The surgery only took 44 minutes,so everything went well. I know I will probably have some worse pain in the next few days, but it is well worth not having to pick tonsil stones out of my throat everyday and smelling the awful, awful smell.

I am just trying to keep up with my pain meds and it is helping me out a lot. I am only going to eat jello and popsicles and plenty of water for the first couple of days. I am not taking any chances.

If anyone have any questions about the procedure let me know I will gladly help out.
Well I am glad you are doing ok so far. Did you have laser or the traditional operation? My ENT is doing it the traditional way. He doesn't think laser has any benefits to it. It cost $1000 just to open it up to use and he thinks it is a waste.

I have been reading on here that you should take your medicine at the minimum time. (When they say every 2-4 hours, do it at 2 hours.) What meds did you get? Everyone says to stay hydrated. Does it hurt to swallow water? I wonder if I could suck on cough drops that have benocaine in them. I think they are Cloreseptic. I got them at Walmart when I had strep in November. Really numbed it up.

Well I hope you stay well and the pain doesn't get too bad anytime soon.

I can't wait to do this and finally not feel like I have something in my throat all the time and constantly try and swallow. I picked some big ones out yesterday so I can only image what else is in there that I can't get to. I hate those things.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-08-2004, 10:21 PM   #3
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 41
Missladyt1 HB User
Re: Back from Tonsillectomy Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmom777
Well I am glad you are doing ok so far. Did you have laser or the traditional operation? My ENT is doing it the traditional way. He doesn't think laser has any benefits to it. It cost $1000 just to open it up to use and he thinks it is a waste.

I have been reading on here that you should take your medicine at the minimum time. (When they say every 2-4 hours, do it at 2 hours.) What meds did you get? Everyone says to stay hydrated. Does it hurt to swallow water? I wonder if I could suck on cough drops that have benocaine in them. I think they are Cloreseptic. I got them at Walmart when I had strep in November. Really numbed it up.

Well I hope you stay well and the pain doesn't get too bad anytime soon.

I can't wait to do this and finally not feel like I have something in my throat all the time and constantly try and swallow. I picked some big ones out yesterday so I can only image what else is in there that I can't get to. I hate those things.
I know the feeling, I just could not take the tonsil stones any longer, they were awful and I got tired of the smell. I am poop free and loving it already.

My ENT used some type of electronic device that seals as it cuts. It is suppose to cut the heeling time and my scab is suppose to look wet. I have a low grade sore throat. My uvula is swollen and that hurts more than the sore throat. The doc gave me steroids for the swellling, she also gave me the Lortin liquid. It almost made me vomit, so now I am taking the pills. The pain meds are powerful and I don't believe you will need anything else.

I believe it depends on what type of procedure is done. Did you say your ENT was using the old method? What do you mean the old method?
I am only taking one pain pill every 4 hours that is how mild my pain is right now. It may get worse when my ears start to hurt, but right now I feel fine and I am taking it easy.

I have dranked lots of water and it definitely helps. I am eating popsicles, jello and chicken noodle soup without the chicken. You will be fine don't worry.

~Missladyt1~

 
Old 01-08-2004, 10:32 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12
Krista4444 HB User
Re: Back from Tonsillectomy Surgery

And don't forget the ice chips-I really believe they helped me with swelling in the first few days because my tongue did not get that swollen at all. The pain really isn't that bad-until you hit day 6-so just take it easy and be prepared for that day. I couldn't believe it when I read that only because I wasn't doing so bad pain wise on days 1-5. Just stay hydrated, very, very hydrated. And if you wake up and your throat really hurts from being dry, take your pain medicine and keep drinking water-you should be fine within 10 minutes. For some reason I was able to eat Cambell's New England Clam chowder (luke warm) for the first few days-I ate the broth mostly, but was able to slip in some potatoes, after being chewed a lot, and some clams. I think if you can get some sort of a soft substance down your throat it helps clear the debris back there-so give some soft stuff a chance if you can. Good luck in the next few days and we'll all be here if you have questions.

 
Old 01-09-2004, 08:38 AM   #5
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 41
Missladyt1 HB User
Re: Back from Tonsillectomy Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista4444
And don't forget the ice chips-I really believe they helped me with swelling in the first few days because my tongue did not get that swollen at all. The pain really isn't that bad-until you hit day 6-so just take it easy and be prepared for that day. I couldn't believe it when I read that only because I wasn't doing so bad pain wise on days 1-5. Just stay hydrated, very, very hydrated. And if you wake up and your throat really hurts from being dry, take your pain medicine and keep drinking water-you should be fine within 10 minutes. For some reason I was able to eat Cambell's New England Clam chowder (luke warm) for the first few days-I ate the broth mostly, but was able to slip in some potatoes, after being chewed a lot, and some clams. I think if you can get some sort of a soft substance down your throat it helps clear the debris back there-so give some soft stuff a chance if you can. Good luck in the next few days and we'll all be here if you have questions.
I almost forgot about the ice chips, I will start that this morning. How bad is day 6? I have heard that around that time it is pretty bad? Chicken Noodle Soup is the only soft thing that I can eat right now, so I am sticking with it. I am constantly drinking water almost a gallon a day. I just keep sipping away.

What type of procedure did the ENT use to remove your Tonsils? I was just curious. Mine told me that my scab would look wet, so don't get alarmed. He said it was some type of new procedure they were working to perfect. What type of toothpaste did you use to brush your teeth?

Thanks for all the help, it has really helped me just knowing what to expect.

~Missladyt1~

 
Old 01-09-2004, 01:58 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12
Krista4444 HB User
Re: Back from Tonsillectomy Surgery

I had the traditional surgery for my tonsils and adenoids, my deviated septum was also corected traditionally. Just keep sipping away-you'll be fine
I really thought I was going to make it through without any trouble because my first few days weren't that bad. I must have let my guard down, because when I woke up on the sixth day (and I don't mean to scare you) but it felt like I had scapal blades running down my throat. It only lasted, with that intesity, for about 20 minutes. I just kept sipping the water and took my medicine as soon as I could. I bled a little from the mouth too. After the morning pain was over, I just felt like I had the worst sore throat you could ever imagine. And I couldn't talk or eat much for that day. It is bad like that for a few mornings, but the intensity is lowered each day. Today's pain was there, but not nearly as bad and was resolved in about 10 minutes. My throat must be getting better because I am starting to feel the pain in my nose today, I guess they are taking turns. I just think that your throat gets so dry from sleeping and scabbing, that when you wake up it really hurts. It was around the 6th day that I was sleeping longer too-so I would miss a dose or two of medicine throughout the night, I'm sure that didn't help. If this happens, all I can say it to make sure you have acces to water asap and make sure it isn't ice cold-that hurts it worse.
It's weird, at first you want the ice cold water and then gradually that starts to hurt your throat so you need to go for room temp water.
Mashed potatoes you think would be ok, and they aren't that bad-but it doesn't go down too easily, hurts a little bit. Ice cream too, I thought that would be great and it did taste wonderful, but after eating it you get a film of mucus in the back of your throat that makes you keep swallowing-not pleasant.
Another tip-sounds gross, but I carried around two glasses with me, one with my water and one to spit in-because it's a little easier to spit out the extra salivation that you would normally just swallow down.
I tried to eat mac and cheese today (day 11), but I guess I have to stick with just the regular flat noodles, beacuse it hurt my throat. I'm going to try some fish tonight, since it flakes off into really small pieces-I might be able to get some down.
The good thing about all of this, is that I lost 8lbs so far and really don't have any cravings for sweet things. I must have detoxed my body from sugar and caffine-so hopefully I can remain on this healthy diet after I get better. I'm glad you sound like you are doing ok so far. Let me know if you have any more question.

 
Old 01-09-2004, 10:26 PM   #7
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 41
Missladyt1 HB User
Re: Back from Tonsillectomy Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista4444
I had the traditional surgery for my tonsils and adenoids, my deviated septum was also corected traditionally. Just keep sipping away-you'll be fine
I really thought I was going to make it through without any trouble because my first few days weren't that bad. I must have let my guard down, because when I woke up on the sixth day (and I don't mean to scare you) but it felt like I had scapal blades running down my throat. It only lasted, with that intesity, for about 20 minutes. I just kept sipping the water and took my medicine as soon as I could. I bled a little from the mouth too. After the morning pain was over, I just felt like I had the worst sore throat you could ever imagine. And I couldn't talk or eat much for that day. It is bad like that for a few mornings, but the intensity is lowered each day. Today's pain was there, but not nearly as bad and was resolved in about 10 minutes. My throat must be getting better because I am starting to feel the pain in my nose today, I guess they are taking turns. I just think that your throat gets so dry from sleeping and scabbing, that when you wake up it really hurts. It was around the 6th day that I was sleeping longer too-so I would miss a dose or two of medicine throughout the night, I'm sure that didn't help. If this happens, all I can say it to make sure you have acces to water asap and make sure it isn't ice cold-that hurts it worse.
It's weird, at first you want the ice cold water and then gradually that starts to hurt your throat so you need to go for room temp water.
Mashed potatoes you think would be ok, and they aren't that bad-but it doesn't go down too easily, hurts a little bit. Ice cream too, I thought that would be great and it did taste wonderful, but after eating it you get a film of mucus in the back of your throat that makes you keep swallowing-not pleasant.
Another tip-sounds gross, but I carried around two glasses with me, one with my water and one to spit in-because it's a little easier to spit out the extra salivation that you would normally just swallow down.
I tried to eat mac and cheese today (day 11), but I guess I have to stick with just the regular flat noodles, beacuse it hurt my throat. I'm going to try some fish tonight, since it flakes off into really small pieces-I might be able to get some down.
The good thing about all of this, is that I lost 8lbs so far and really don't have any cravings for sweet things. I must have detoxed my body from sugar and caffine-so hopefully I can remain on this healthy diet after I get better. I'm glad you sound like you are doing ok so far. Let me know if you have any more question.
I will be ready for the pain and thanks for the heads up. I know that I am feeling to good right now for it to be smooth sailing, but it is worth not having those nasty little critters coming out my throat. How does your throat look in the back? Give me some feedback on it. It would be nice to lose a few pounds, I have been on ediet and working hard at the gym. I only want to lose 15 more pounds and I am at my goal, so maybe this wil help. How long do you think it will take before you can go back on your normal diet? I have only been eating Chicken Noodle Soup and Popsicles and drinking lots of water.

~Missladyt1~

 
Old 01-10-2004, 07:06 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12
Krista4444 HB User
Re: Back from Tonsillectomy Surgery

Actually I haven't been able to look into my mouth yet. My husband has-and he wouldn't tell me what it looked like on the first day, now all he says is that is looks good. Of course we currently miplaced the flash light for the past few days when I was able to look into my mouth by myself. The prblem was that I couldn't open my mouth wide enough for myself to look in But I will try to look sometime today or tomorrow and let you know.
Last night we tried to make flounder and noodles, thinking it would be soft enough-but the fish actually hurt, so it made the noodles hurt too because my throat was alreay sensitive from the fish. Another good hint, is to time your medicine so you eat 1/2 hour after you take the medicine, so it hurts less.
Not sure when I'll be able to return to a normal diet, but I hope it is soon-you can only take so much of a few things.
But I can say this-it gets a little better each day (well after the 6th day).
When will you be hitting your 6th day? I would like to know if you experience the same pain around the same days (I know it might not be the 6th day, could be the 5th or 7th or 8th)-Let me know if you can.
Thanks,
Krista

Last edited by Krista4444; 01-10-2004 at 07:07 AM.

 
Old 01-10-2004, 10:31 AM   #9
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 12
dubtown HB User
Re: Back from Tonsillectomy Surgery

I have a question. Has anyone noticed that their voice changed after having their tonsils removed? I am getting mine taken out because of the stones (finally!) and I wondered if it is easier talking without big tonsils in the back of your throat. I usually speak soft because it is a pain to be loud with those huge things back there.

Thanks

 
Old 01-10-2004, 11:49 AM   #10
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 41
Missladyt1 HB User
Re: Back from Tonsillectomy Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubtown
I have a question. Has anyone noticed that their voice changed after having their tonsils removed? I am getting mine taken out because of the stones (finally!) and I wondered if it is easier talking without big tonsils in the back of your throat. I usually speak soft because it is a pain to be loud with those huge things back there.

Thanks
I can't really say right now because it is still early, but I will gladly let you know in the future. When are you to have your Tonsils removed? I had mine removed for the same reason and I am happy I did. It is going to feel great being poop free.

 
Old 01-10-2004, 12:33 PM   #11
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 12
dubtown HB User
Re: Back from Tonsillectomy Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missladyt1
I can't really say right now because it is still early, but I will gladly let you know in the future. When are you to have your Tonsils removed? I had mine removed for the same reason and I am happy I did. It is going to feel great being poop free.
I am scheduled to have them taken out on the 20th. I can't wait, I'm so tired of coughing up that nasty stuff.

 
Old 01-10-2004, 09:43 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12
Krista4444 HB User
Re: Back from Tonsillectomy Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubtown
I am scheduled to have them taken out on the 20th. I can't wait, I'm so tired of coughing up that nasty stuff.
I also got those gross things, I'm glad not to have to gag on them any more.
Good luck with your surgery.

Mislady-I finally looked in my throat today. I'm a wimp, because I got light headed (I guess that's why I didn't want to look earlier). I'm good with blood and surgeries and all that, but when I see the people I love in pain or anything with myself, i can't take it-sounds weird doesn't it? But anyway, I now have these huge holes in the back of my thrort-looks kind of weird because I am so used to seeing these big tonsils and nothing else. The area all back there is coated with scabs and waht looks like a white substance. Ths holes though are what freaked me out I think. Can't wait to see them when they heal. How are you feeling? What does your throat look like?

 
Old 01-11-2004, 07:51 AM   #13
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 41
Missladyt1 HB User
Re: Back from Tonsillectomy Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista4444
I also got those gross things, I'm glad not to have to gag on them any more.
Good luck with your surgery.

Mislady-I finally looked in my throat today. I'm a wimp, because I got light headed (I guess that's why I didn't want to look earlier). I'm good with blood and surgeries and all that, but when I see the people I love in pain or anything with myself, i can't take it-sounds weird doesn't it? But anyway, I now have these huge holes in the back of my thrort-looks kind of weird because I am so used to seeing these big tonsils and nothing else. The area all back there is coated with scabs and waht looks like a white substance. Ths holes though are what freaked me out I think. Can't wait to see them when they heal. How are you feeling? What does your throat look like?
Krista4444, I too have the big holes and yes it does look strange. Mine are still all white and I do not believe that it has scabed over yet. My Uvula is still pretty big but not as big.

 
Old 01-11-2004, 09:40 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12
Krista4444 HB User
Re: Back from Tonsillectomy Surgery

I still have the white stuff too-I thought that was the scabs? I must be wrong though-it just looks like a layer of...well, puss I guess? What day are you on? Today is day 13-not so bad. I'm starting back on regular food. Some of it tastes weird though and some of it hurts going down, but not so bad-so I have been forcing it down, hoping it will help me to get better faster.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
What meds for tonsillectomy? tdooders1 Ear, Nose & Throat 8 01-16-2009 08:54 AM
has your tonsillectomy cured your bad breath? brandon48 Ear, Nose & Throat 10 08-20-2008 11:26 PM
Tonsillectomy and Septoplasty done together? hunter6009 Ear, Nose & Throat 20 10-17-2007 06:24 PM
Massive cheesey-build up at back of throat after tonsillectomy DNQ Ear, Nose & Throat 7 07-07-2007 05:57 AM
I'm Scheduled for a Laser Tonsillectomy sleepdreams Sleep Disorders 3 05-21-2007 05:51 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!