It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2004, 06:52 PM   #1
Inactive

Missladyt1 HB User
Smile Post-op after Tonsillectomy

Hey everyone,
I just had my appointment today with my ENT. Everything went great and she said that in about a week my mouth should be red and I am healed. My Uvula is almost back to normal and I feel great. I ask my ENT how my Tonsils looked when she removed them. She said my Tonsils were huge plus they had fungus growing inside them. I then asked about the Tonsil Stones and she said that my Tonsils were filled with them. I cringed when she told me I still cringe when I think about it. She said they were loaded with poop, yuk! I am so glad I had my Tonsils removed. My co- worker had hers removed and she said hers were filled with that crap also.
I am convinced that the Tonsils are not needed and almost anyone who has them will have trouble with Tonsil Stones in the future. All that crap does is make your Tonsils set up Fungus and Bateria and that cannot be good. Well with that all said the pain was worth every penny and if I had to do it again I would. Thanks for reading my posts and look forward to reading everyone elses.

~Missladyt1~

Old 01-22-2004, 04:39 PM   #2

bassie HB User
Re: Post-op after Tonsillectomy

Dear Missladyt1
Thanks for your efforts.
I had never heard of tonsil stones until I joined this board. Our son is to have his tonsils out and I have been able to gain quite an insight to the feeling
and am advising him. I feel sure he will also be a lot better once they are removed cause he is not terribly well generally. It certainly seems to be a common problem and i agree with you that tonsils don't seem to do much good.
Best wishes for further recovery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2004, 06:40 AM   #3

jaddz HB User

I am considering a tonsillectomy because my tonsils are so cryptic that food gets caught in them and that along with the stones makes me feel like I am choking half the time. My question is: did the swollen uvula cause a choking sensation or pain or what exactly? Thanks!

Old 01-27-2004, 07:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaddz
I am considering a tonsillectomy because my tonsils are so cryptic that food gets caught in them and that along with the stones makes me feel like I am choking half the time. My question is: did the swollen uvula cause a choking sensation or pain or what exactly? Thanks!
I know that when my uvula was swollen it only made me talk funny and got in the way.

Old 01-29-2004, 04:40 PM   #5

baseballmom777 HB User
Talking Re: Post-op after Tonsillectomy

Hey MissLady! How has it been going? Is your throat still feeling good? My surgery is February 6th at 8:30 am. The nurse at the pre-op appointment told me that I should be up and out of there by 10:45. I can't believe how quick it is, but the recovery takes so long. It's incredible to imagine going in and out of there within 2 hours. The nurse took my blood pressure and pulse rate and asked me when the last time it was taken. I said why is my pulse rate hight? She said yes how did you know? I told her because I am nervous sitting here talking about next week.

Which medicine did your doctor give you for pain again? Was it liquid or pills? I am getting liquid something. What does the medicine make you feel like? Do you feel loopy? I shouldn't make any major decisions while medicated huh? I will have to make sure I don't agree to anything while under my husband's care. God only knows what I would be agreeing to. LIke my in-laws coming to live with us. AAAGGGGHHH! THey will be watching the boys when we go to Hawaii.

I am so nervous about next week. I wish I could have the meds they give you before the surgery to relax now. Oh well wish me luck.

Old 01-29-2004, 06:37 PM   #6
Inactive

brandon48 HB User

I think misslady is banned for some reason.
For me my doc perscribed tylenol 3 w/codine (which was practically useless) and vicodin both in tablet form for pain. It was extremely painful to swallow that first afternoon and my wife called the doc back and asked if he could give me anything stronger. He just told her to have me double my doseage of vicodin and forget the t3. So after that I took 2 vicodin pills every three-four hours around the clock for almost a week. Really helped with the pain of swallowing and felt pretty darn good. It was like having a few beers and maybe a few shots without all the bad feelings of being drunk/buzzed. I think I liked it a little too much, I can see how people get addicted to vicodin so easily. And it didn't make me too sleepy either, I was just in a happy fog for a week and just relaxed and watched tv or surfed the net. But after 5-7 days I quit the vicodin and just took a few of the t3 when I went to bed. I almost hate to say it but the week after my surgery was pretty enjoyable for me, maybe I took too much vicodin or just wasn't used to not working for that long. It still hurt a bit when I swallowed, so I just ate chicked broth and had a bowl of blended ice that I would alternate spoons of. And a lot of jello.
It's not half as bad as I expected, I would definately do it again. I think the worst part was the preop when they put in your iv and you have to lie there for 30 min before going into the operating room. The first day or two were the worst for me, and by the seventh day I was practically ready to go back to work but stayed off for two weeks
Have you been to HI before? I lived there from 96-98, great place!

Old 01-30-2004, 08:23 PM   #7

ShaynaPunim HB User

hi everyone!
haven't been on in awhile, but i finally got a chance to sign on tonight! ive been so busy---cousin's wedding was 2 weeks ago, been working, and ive been studying for the bar exam which is a month away! so needless to say ive been busy! but, i am doing really well now that it's been a month and a half since i got my tonsils out. i have felt well over this last month and a half. glad to hear everyone is recovering nicely. brandon, alley, how are you kids doing?

Old 02-01-2004, 09:10 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaynaPunim
hi everyone!
haven't been on in awhile, but i finally got a chance to sign on tonight! ive been so busy---cousin's wedding was 2 weeks ago, been working, and ive been studying for the bar exam which is a month away! so needless to say ive been busy! but, i am doing really well now that it's been a month and a half since i got my tonsils out. i have felt well over this last month and a half. glad to hear everyone is recovering nicely. brandon, alley, how are you kids doing?

Hey long time no see I hope things are going nicely for you. I am so much better now that I am nicely healed. So when is the big wedding?????

Old 02-01-2004, 09:13 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmom777
Hey MissLady! How has it been going? Is your throat still feeling good? My surgery is February 6th at 8:30 am. The nurse at the pre-op appointment told me that I should be up and out of there by 10:45. I can't believe how quick it is, but the recovery takes so long. It's incredible to imagine going in and out of there within 2 hours. The nurse took my blood pressure and pulse rate and asked me when the last time it was taken. I said why is my pulse rate hight? She said yes how did you know? I told her because I am nervous sitting here talking about next week.

Which medicine did your doctor give you for pain again? Was it liquid or pills? I am getting liquid something. What does the medicine make you feel like? Do you feel loopy? I shouldn't make any major decisions while medicated huh? I will have to make sure I don't agree to anything while under my husband's care. God only knows what I would be agreeing to. LIke my in-laws coming to live with us. AAAGGGGHHH! THey will be watching the boys when we go to Hawaii.

I am so nervous about next week. I wish I could have the meds they give you before the surgery to relax now. Oh well wish me luck.

Hey glad to see your finially getting your surgery. Although I find it suprising that you would be in and out in such a short time. I got pill forms of meds. It was pretty fine to take as long as I took it with jello good luck.

Old 02-03-2004, 05:20 PM   #10

baseballmom777 HB User

Hi Everyone! It's been awhile. I have been trying to catch up at work so that while I am recovering I won't worry too much about it all piling up again. I was quite suprised myself how quick it is all going to be on Friday. I am getting liquid Loritab (sp). Has anyone else had this? What happened to MissLady? How do you get banned from this place? Hopefully she is still around in disguise. Unfortunately, I have a meeting on Monday morning with my son's teachers, counselor and school psychologist. Hopefully, I will be able to sit and listen and let my husband do all the talking. Ha Ha. I will try to log in some time on Friday. Hey Shayna and Alley Cat, have you kept the weight off? Did you lose your voice after the surgery?

Old 02-03-2004, 05:22 PM   #11

baseballmom777 HB User

Oh by the way, I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL I DON'T HAVE THIS DISGUSTING TASTE IN THE BACK OF MY THROAT ANYMORE. I can't believe how much the stones are bothering me this week. Thank God it will all be over soon.

Closed Thread