It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2004, 06:32 PM   #1

SWefel HB User
Bad Taste After Tonsillectomy

I had my tonsils out 4 weeks ago for tonsil stones. Since then I have had trouble with my taste. I can't taste anything sweet, infact anything sweet tastes REALLY bad. Other foods don't taste like they are supposed to. My ENT says this is normal and will go away after about a month. Well it's a month and it's not any better. Has anyone else experienced this and how long did it take to get better? I'm starting to get really depressed about this and afraid it won't get better.

Old 02-18-2004, 06:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: Bad Taste After Tonsillectomy

Don't remember how long it took, but was at LEAST a month. And there were things that I used to love eating and drinking and couldn't tolerate for a long time afterward. Soda, anything carbonated -- I think I avoided it for well over a year. Probably would've been fine, but just associated it with pain. Ditto with coffee. The joy was gone for several months. Real sour or acidic type stuff also 'cuz my throat was still sensitive.

Pizza and a good greasy burger took a couple months too. Those were the things I was craving while recovering and two weeks after surgery had some and it tasted like nothing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2004, 08:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

With ENT surgery, you can often get derangements in taste, salivation and sweating. Your ninth cranial nerve (the glossopharyngeal nerve) is responsible for taste in the posterior third of your tongue. It is also responsible for innervating parts of the back of your throat. After an ENT surgery, this nerve may be disrupted somewhat, and this can cause problems with taste. You can also have something called Frye's syndrome (especially with salivary gland surgery) where, instead of salivating like one normally does, one sweats instead. This is due to the fact that the nerves left behind from the salivary gland reattach themselves to the sweat glands in the face.

Old 02-18-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWefel
I had my tonsils out 4 weeks ago for tonsil stones. Since then I have had trouble with my taste. I can't taste anything sweet, infact anything sweet tastes REALLY bad. Other foods don't taste like they are supposed to. My ENT says this is normal and will go away after about a month. Well it's a month and it's not any better. Has anyone else experienced this and how long did it take to get better? I'm starting to get really depressed about this and afraid it won't get better.
It took me about a month and a half to get rid of it. Even now 2 months later I still have a bad taste when I first wake up in the morning.

Old 02-18-2004, 08:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

Are any of you on antibiotics, by the way? Certain ones used can cause a bad taste in the mouth.

Old 02-18-2004, 09:07 AM   #6

SWefel HB User

Thanks for the replys so far. In answer to the last question, I'm not on any antibiotics or any different medication than I was before the surgery. BTW I'm 34. I don't know if age makes any difference. To the person that talked about the nerves, My ENT says that he had to do a lot of digging to get all the stones out and get rid of all the crypts. I actually didn't have much for tonsils he said they were actually quite small, I just had terrible pockets all down my throat that kept getting clogged up with food and getting chronic sore throats. Does the fact that he had to dig so much mean he could have really damaged the nerves? I don't have any problems with sweating but I do notice that I salivate more on my right side than I used to. This is not that bothersome however. Thanks again for the Replys.

Old 02-20-2004, 08:41 AM   #7

SWefel HB User

Anyone who's had a tonsillectomy and had taste problems after, can you tell me how long it lasted and did it come back suddenly or gradually. I haven't noticed any change at all and it's been over a month. Thanks for any comments.

Old 03-04-2004, 12:59 PM   #8

speake2me HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWefel
Hi,

I am sorry to hear about your experience although a little relieved because I am going through the same thing.
It has been 5 weeks since my tonsillectomy. My taste is still distorted. Although it is getting better (very slowly) I am worrying I will never taste anything normal again! There is also a rough kind of feeling on the very back of my tongue and therefore causes a gross taste in my mouth. I was wondering if your taste is back to normal yet? I'm hoping to see a light at the end of this tunnel...

Old 03-04-2004, 04:46 PM   #9

SWefel HB User

Hi, thanks for your reply. It's now going on 7 weeks and my taste isn't any better. My ENT has me on Prednisone for it . He says it could take up to 6 months to improve. It sounds like your situation may be better than mine, because at least you've had some improvement. My Dr. keeps telling me he's never had any patient not had their taste come back - so I keep hopeful that one day I'll wake up and taste again. Hopefully your taste will come back much sooner. I have found out that it is quite common though.

Old 03-05-2004, 08:48 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I know it took awhile for things to taste normal. Just can't remember how long it took. I just remember that suddenly I could drink coffee again and it didn't taste like metal and I was sooo happy

Closed Thread