It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2004, 04:53 AM   #1

Mich4 HB User
Tonsil problem

Hi everyone,
Maybe someone can help me. I have had tonsil stones for two years now in my right tonsil. I haven't had my tonsils out, but have been living with it. In the past six months or so my left tonsil bothers me once in while. It will get sore and feel like something is in it for about a week, then feel fine again. I have been to the ent in the past (numerous times) and told him about my tonsil problems. Especially the right one and the stones. I am now getting worried about my left one. It looks like it has little lumpy things on it. Fleshy coloured. It also has deep holes, and ocassionally I can get the stones out. I'm worried about the lumpy little things. Does anyone else have tonsils that look like this. I worry about cancer of throat, but my throat has had problems on the right side for over two years now and I figured I would have been dead by now if the ent had missed it. Now my left side has been doing the same thing for about 6 months, but these fleshy little bumpy things have me worried. I suck on that tonsil alot (if that makes sense) with my tongue. I also poke it quite a bit.
Thanks to anyone who has a bit of insight.
Michelle

Old 07-03-2004, 05:21 AM   #2

marcen HB User
Re: Tonsil problem

Hi Mich,
I also have problems with my left tonsil occasionally, and those fleshy bumps seem to appear after I have poked at it. They last for quite some time, and until they go away, my tonsil is very sore. I wouldn't worry about cancer...you seem to have what appears to be a very common ailment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2004, 07:42 AM   #3

Mich4 HB User

THank you so much for your reply. You have helped me get to get through the day. I know that when I go weeks without pain, it just can't be cancer.
Take care, Michelle

Old 07-07-2004, 12:13 PM   #4
Inactive

Mario21 HB User

i have anxiety disorder, along with POS tonsils, lol. so, i worry alot about that stuff. but since my tonsils go crazy for no reason, and not just when i have a virus....i take 600 mg of motrin, and the go down within an hour. so, i think, if it was cancer, motrin isn't gonna do anything. but since it works, it makes me feel a lot better. my tonsils should be out soon, within the next 2 weeks.

Old 07-27-2004, 04:49 PM   #5

Mich4 HB User

HI Mario,

I see that you have had your tonsils out, I hope you are feeling well soon. Take care of yourself.
My left tonsil is still killing me. I just can't get the cancer thought out of my head. I am 34, but have smoked for quite a while. Not very much, but still a smoker nonetheless.
The tonsil on the left feels bumpy and looks like it has little fleshy bumps on it. My right one looks smaller, but not as painful as now I've learned how to get the stones out. I get 10 - 15 out at a time from the right tonsil. I can't get any out of the left one, so thats why I think it's not stones. I haven't poked at my left tonsil for a day now and it is still really sore, and it feels funny. It has been since February that I have been feeling this in the left tonsil. Approx. six months. I went through two years of fear with my right tonsil until i started gettting the stones out. I don't know what to think anymore. The ent does NOT want to take them out. It is hard to get a second opinion where I am. All of the ents work together in a University/hospital setting.
The pain has subsided at different times for a week or so, but always comes back. Now, I wouldn't think that cancer would do that, but according to some it might.
Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Mich

Old 07-27-2004, 05:32 PM   #6

Sara67 HB User

Hi everyone

I have been getting inflamation of the tonsils when I am stressed or tired. They don't hurt at all, they just swell up. Is this something any of you have experienced?

Old 07-27-2004, 05:42 PM   #7

Mich4 HB User

Mine hurts and is a bit swollen (i think anyway). If you inflamation goes away then it is probably nothing to worry about. My step mother has this happen to her though. She will just casually say that her tonsils are swollen. Maybe you are fighting a virus when you are stressed or tired.

Old 07-27-2004, 05:56 PM   #8

TriciaO HB User

Hi Mich!

I have had problems with my tonsils forever and in recent years the white plaque stones have shown up. I have them under control now by avoiding certain foods that irritated my digestion and caused reflux, which in turn irritated my tonsils. Mostly, dairy and eggs. The white globs only show up once every 8 - 12 weeks now unless I get a virus.

An ENT told me last November that cleaning them too often could actually make the pockets deeper. He did want to take mine out though, but that's no surprise!($$)

Good Luck!

Old 07-27-2004, 07:21 PM   #9
Inactive

Mario21 HB User

thankfully i had mine removed before i got any stones or serious problems. but, all i gotta say is that i've been out of surgery now for 7 hours, and yeah, i'm in pain, but everytime i open my mouth, and don't see those things, i feel better. my pain is in my uvula too, not where my tonsils were. my uvula is about the size of a golf ball too, but none the less. i'm doin OK, and am already glad i had the surgery, even though the worse is yet to come.

Old 07-28-2004, 07:06 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich4
Hi everyone,
Maybe someone can help me. I have had tonsil stones for two years now in my right tonsil. I haven't had my tonsils out, but have been living with it. In the past six months or so my left tonsil bothers me once in while. It will get sore and feel like something is in it for about a week, then feel fine again. I have been to the ent in the past (numerous times) and told him about my tonsil problems. Especially the right one and the stones. I am now getting worried about my left one. It looks like it has little lumpy things on it. Fleshy coloured. It also has deep holes, and ocassionally I can get the stones out. I'm worried about the lumpy little things. Does anyone else have tonsils that look like this. I worry about cancer of throat, but my throat has had problems on the right side for over two years now and I figured I would have been dead by now if the ent had missed it. Now my left side has been doing the same thing for about 6 months, but these fleshy little bumpy things have me worried. I suck on that tonsil alot (if that makes sense) with my tongue. I also poke it quite a bit.
Thanks to anyone who has a bit of insight.
Michelle
Tonsill stones are very common in fact when i first joined this board there was a huge thread on them like over 1,000people viewed or replyed. I would try seeing the ent again and if that doesn't work you may want to be refered to a diffrent one. I know lots of people had their tonsils removed because of it. When I had my tonsils removed the ent told me that one sign of cancer could be if one tonsil is like 3x the size of the other one but tonsil cancer is very very rare.

Old 07-28-2004, 05:04 PM   #11

Mich4 HB User

Does this sound like throat cancer to anyone?
Thanks,

Old 07-28-2004, 05:41 PM   #12

Ashligh HB User

Mich4,
Hi,
I too have problems with my tonsils. I get white solid little pieces to come out, And they sometime smell gross. Are these the tonsil stones? And I too have holes like in my left tonsil, where the white stuff comes out. My doctor has seen it before and she didn't think to much of it. She gave me amoxicillian for it. Have yo ever tried to gargle with warm salt water? Anyway, Don't worry, it's not that big of a deal. But, If it gets to where it really bothers you might may want to see if the doctor could do something for you.

~Ash

Old 07-28-2004, 05:51 PM   #13

wyde1340 HB User

"Tonsil stones! I called them tonsil-corns...because they are corn colored...eww, sorry! I have had these things as well, for years and I'm 32. About 3 years ago, the tonsil-corns stopped coming for about a month and I thought I was rid of it. Well, boy was I wrong. I got a really, really bad sore throat on a Sunday, went to the doctor and was misdiagnosed with Strep Throat on Monday, and was in the hospital (half dead) by Friday. It seems that my right tonsil decided to abcess - it was so bad, that I was completely dehydrated, was hardly breathing and hadn't eaten anything in 5 days. My soft-palate & rear of my mouth was completely swollen shut. My right eye was swollen shut and I couldn't move my neck at all (the lymph node had swollen all the way around and I looked like I had a "fur" around my neck - talk about pain...they talked of lancing it and stuff like that, but I opted to be dosed up with anti-biotics and within 2 days, it ALL came out - and the next day I was released from the hospital and all was well. But, the bad part is: Doctor's don't like to remove tonsils from adults. I was told, both by a ENT, my own GP and the hospital - that I had to have at least 4 major tonsil episodes before they would even think of putting me under tonsil surgery. So, as long as the "corn" keeps coming, I suppose I'm healthy. Sorry about the long winded response, but it's really great to know that I'm not alone. Hope you feel better.

Old 07-28-2004, 07:25 PM   #14
Inactive

Mario21 HB User

just lie, lol. find a new ENT, tell em you get crazy tonsil episodes all the time. i kinda exaggerated my tonsils just to get them out. they are always a lil bothersom, and they get bad bad about 3 times a year, but i made it sound worse than it really was just so they would take the darn things out. its something that if you know there is a problem, that no matter what, will not get any better, ya gotta just take em out. so the hell with em, they're gone now, haha.

Closed Thread