It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2004, 03:03 AM   #1

Dreamer555 HB User
Angry Tonsil Stones! Sick!

Has anyone ever heard of tonsil stones? They are little white colored particles that come up into your mouth from the tonsil crevices. How does one get rid of them???

Last edited by Dreamer555; 11-22-2004 at 03:04 AM.

Old 11-22-2004, 09:08 AM   #2
(female)

ross1sb HB User
Re: Tonsil Stones! Sick!

Yes! I have had them for a couple years now and am getting more frequent and worse sore throats. I actually push on my tonsil with my finger and gross stuff (Doctor says it's decaying food!!!) comes out. He said it's fine to do that and follow with a good mouthwash. The only other alternative is surgery. So that's actually what I'm doing today - researching tonsilectomies (sp?). I also have frequent bad breath and it's not the sexiest thing to my husband. But it sounds like surgery is quite an extreme option. I'm not sure how long to wait before I go for it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2004, 02:01 PM   #3
(male)

grantwomack HB User

I've had these for around 2 years now, after getting them occasionally when I was quite young as well. I also get very frequent bad breath and have continual post-nasal drip that has lasted around 2 years (I think it sparked the tonsil stones). I seem to notice that my breath gets worse when I eat things like choclate, yoghurt and drink coffee or alcohol. The tonsil stones I have to push out of my tonsils about 2-3 times a week, which is always horrible.

I've been to an ENT about getting rid of the PND, as I think that could stop the tonsil stones as well. I was just getting over a cold and he had a look but said he didn't see anything. So, I think that was a waste of time, really. But he mentioned that if I wanted to get rid of the tonsil stones and (potentially) bad breath, I could get my tonsils removed.

Will getting my tonsils removed stop the PND and my bad breath at the same time? I'm considering doing it just to stop getting the tonsil stones because my patience is really wearing thin with them. Is it possible that my PND is being caused by allergies? I've never done any allergy testing but don't think I could give up chocolate and coffee! Advice would be great. My ENT certainly didn't seem to have much.

Old 11-22-2004, 02:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Look under the adult tonsillectomy section. I had my tonsils removed about 4 years ago Mainly Ďcuz I was really getting tired dealing with tonsil stones. I also suffered from horrible sinus headaches and after a really bad one, Iíd notice my tonsils were even more productive. Prior to having my tonsils removed I took ibuprofen with a decongestant several times a day, practically every day. Was the only thing that seemed to work on my headaches or if I felt a nasty headache coming on, would nip it in the bud. I used to purchase my OTC sinus remedy at the wholesale club, by the bulk about every month, now I purchase a regular size package a couple times a year. However, having your tonsils removed is major surgery and the recovery isnít a picnic. Itís horrible. But I wish Iíd done it a lot sooner!

Old 12-02-2004, 06:24 PM   #5
(female)

Comfort2 HB User

I used to call them white puss pockets. but tonsil stones sounds much nicer. and not quiet so nasty, I have been getting them for a while now my self. since I was about 14 and I am 25 now. until that started happening, I got tonsilitis every year and had to miss around 3 weeks of school. since they have started what I call rotting out, my tonsils are much smaller I literally have a huge hole in my tonsils. I usually take a q tip and push out the stones. If I don't, it causes my throat to be sore, because the stones are somewhat hard and your tonsils are tender. I plan to have my tonsils taken out soon rather than waiting for them to completely rot out.

Old 12-09-2004, 02:10 AM   #6

Dreamer555 HB User

I heard Therabreath Nasal spray is actually used to treat this. I just bought it, I'll let you know how it works.

Old 12-09-2004, 02:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer555
Has anyone ever heard of tonsil stones? They are little white colored particles that come up into your mouth from the tonsil crevices. How does one get rid of them???
I just started getting them right before I had my tonsils removed luckily for me I always had really bad strep throats so they were already comming out ot there.

Sorry I don't know anything about addisons disease you might want to do an internet search.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:08 AM   #8
(female)

Silent_Treatmen HB User
Unhappy Tonsil stones/ear pressure/sore glands

I've had these things for about 5 years maybe longer. Lately, I've been getting swollen glands or what feels like swollen glands to me, but my doctor told me I wasn't swollen. Maybe the word I'm searching for is sore glands. They ALWAYS come before I hack up the stones. Am I the only one who gets this symptom? Sore on both sides, just below my ear lobes and along my jawline sometimes underneath where my tongue is. (At one point I thought I was clenching my teeth at night to cause this pain but I don't think that's it) .My throat is not sore, most of the time, but I do have post nasal drip and congestion at times. Two days ago, I hacked up 8 or 9 stones and felt better, but now I'm trying to do it to relieve the pain but nothing is happening and I'm very sore.

My primary physican is not reffering me to an ENT doctor and I desperately need to see one. I'm in pain and have not slept in two days. The pain/pressure comes and goes. Anyone else have this? No fever, nothing but this pressure and itchiness in my ears, sometimes a ringing in my right ear. If this soundsl like you, please respond.

Old 12-20-2004, 04:49 PM   #9
(female)

dompiz HB User

Hi everyone, I used to get those awful disgusting things as well and my breath would be horrible !!!! So bad, I couldn't even stand it - it drove me crazy for YEARS (I'm now 35 and I would say it bothered me for almost 10 yrs) - I was also getting infections so I got my tonsils removed last Wednedsay Dec.16th - it has been a VERY painful recovery, but I know that after 2 - 3 wks I'll be 100% and the years of people backing up when I talk to them will be over. I'll keep you posted and let you know if the bad breath is gone once I recover. As crazy as it sounds - I had a huge gross tonsil stone stuck in my left tonsil that I couldn't get out before I went into surgery and of course I had bad breath - after the surgery - the odour was gone. (mind you it is back again simply because of the healing process) but, like I said, I will you keep you posted and in the meantime if anyone has any questions, let me know.

Old 12-21-2004, 05:05 PM   #10

nlh4msu HB User

I too had my tonsils removed on December 15. The reason I had them taken out was because of tonsil stones. I was having to pick them out every night. When I would go a couple of days without picking them out, my glands would hurt and I would end up with an awful sore throat. The pain with the tonsillectomy is awful; however, I am looking at the big picture of No more tonsil stones!!!

Old 12-27-2004, 12:34 AM   #11

Dreamer555 HB User

Dompiz - how are things going?

Old 12-27-2004, 08:21 PM   #12
(female)

minmin630 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Tonsil Stones! Sick!

Okay so I suffered from tonsil stones as well and had them out 5 days ago. I am not gonna lie tonsil stones was not the main reason for them coming out on top of tonsil stones I got reoccuring strep infections and suffered from chronic Tonsillitis. The Tonsillectomy was very uncomfortable but bearable. I had a much easier recovery than dompiz and nlh4msu so I would say If you are in pain from tonsil stones than I would have them out...you can read the Tonsillectomy and Adenoid Surgery II Board but I am warning you that there may be some things in there that may scare you because everyone in there has posted there recoveries and like I said some have had bad experiences and some like myself has had not so bad experiences so when reading it just remain open minded because I tell you that having them out is probably one of the best things you can do. Any questions or doubts read my posts on the Tonsillectomy and Adenoid BoardII... Well I hope that I was Helpful!

Last edited by minmin630; 12-27-2004 at 08:22 PM.

Old 01-11-2005, 06:01 AM   #13
(female)

Silent_Treatmen HB User
Lightbulb Re: Tonsil stones/ear pressure/sore glands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Treatmen
I've had these things for about 5 years maybe longer. Lately, I've been getting swollen glands or what feels like swollen glands to me, but my doctor told me I wasn't swollen. Maybe the word I'm searching for is sore glands. They ALWAYS come before I hack up the stones. Am I the only one who gets this symptom? Sore on both sides, just below my ear lobes and along my jawline sometimes underneath where my tongue is. (At one point I thought I was clenching my teeth at night to cause this pain but I don't think that's it) .My throat is not sore, most of the time, but I do have post nasal drip and congestion at times. Two days ago, I hacked up 8 or 9 stones and felt better, but now I'm trying to do it to relieve the pain but nothing is happening and I'm very sore.

My primary physican is not reffering me to an ENT doctor and I desperately need to see one. I'm in pain and have not slept in two days. The pain/pressure comes and goes. Anyone else have this? No fever, nothing but this pressure and itchiness in my ears, sometimes a ringing in my right ear. If this soundsl like you, please respond.
Hey Guys! Just wanted to update you and let you all know that while I do have tonsil stones..the pressure and pain I am feeling is from something called Eagles' Syndrome...it's named after the doctor who discovered it. Text book definition is: " Eagle's syndrome occurs when an elongated styloid process or calcified stylohyoid ligament causes recurrent throat pain or foreign body sensation, dysphagia, or facial pain. Additional symptoms may include neck or throat pain with radiation to the ipsilateral ear. In adults, the styloid process is approximately 2.5 cm long, and its tip is located between the external and internal carotid arteries, just lateral to the tonsillar fossa. It may develop inflammatory changes or impinge on the adjacent arteries or sensory nerve endings, leading to the symptoms described. Diagnosis can usually be made on physical examination by digital palpation of the styloid process in the tonsillar fossa, which exacerbates the pain. In addition, relief of symptoms with injection of an anesthetic solution into the tonsillar fossa is highly suggestive of this diagnosis. Radiographic workup should include anterior-posterior and lateral skull films. The treatment of Eagle's syndrome is primarily surgical. The styloid process can be shortened through an intraoral or external approach. We present two cases and review the literature. "

My ENT knew what it was right away..I think the tonsil stone really aggravate it though.

Old 01-13-2005, 01:58 AM   #14

Dreamer555 HB User
Angry Re: Tonsil Stones! Sick!

It seems like when I exercise or do a strenuous activity thats when the stones come up.

Old 01-16-2005, 12:53 PM   #15
(male)

iainfitzy HB User

Hi all.

Not sure If I actually have the same thing.

I have what is a small slit on my tonsils, I noticed it over xmas period and i touched it with my finger little white things came out. It actually looks as if my tonsils are falling apart.

My breath isnt too bad, but maybe I hadnt noticed it!
Chewing gum will be on hand at all times now!
Any easy cure to this

Fitz

Closed Thread